Remembering Red Rhodes

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Lafe Brown

Remembering Red Rhodes

Post by Lafe Brown »

Twenty-five years ago today my cousin Red passed away. Lots of fond memories. R.I.P Orville Junior.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

He was a Great Steel Guitarist and an Innovator! I was at the Steel Convention in St.Louis when they inducted him into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame! I loved his music!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

His shop in Hollywood was a short b;ock from where my wife worked. At the time she didn't drive, so I would take her to work, and often stopped by his shop and hung out with him.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Lafe Brown

Star Routers

Post by Lafe Brown »

Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Godspeed Orville!

ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Nice band shot Lafe, that looks like Gene Davis on the right with the bowtie. He and Red worked the Palomino many years as you well know........RIP Red..JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Great picture with the Star Routers - thanks for sharing that!
Nils Tuxen

Red a wonderful friend

Post by Nils Tuxen »

I met Red during a long stay I had in Los Angeles in the spring of 1970. It was my second trip from my native Denmark to the USA, and my interest for the steel guitar was relatively new having been awakened by the Byrds´ "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" LP which had made me fall in love with the sound of the instrument.

Later Red visited me in Copenhagen when he had a few days off between gigs in London and Stockholm, Sweden, with his old friend, Mike Neshmith and The First National Band.

And later he recomended me to Jim Gurley, the head of the Dekley Company, so I became one of the early players of this steel guitar brand.

I loved to visit him in "Red´s Royal Repair" shop in Hollywood when I was in town during the following years and one time I allso bought a couple of guitars from his shop.

He was a man with a wonderful humour and he always was ready to help if a need arose.

R.I.P. good old friend and thank you for some very special moments in my life.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Red did some sessions during this time. Amonst them with Mick Ronson (Bowie guitarist) and Bert Jansch.
And with the loveley Chilly Willy And The Red Hot Peppers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHeqnO3T9JU
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I have just come across some of my recordings of Red from the ISGC. I will be posting these to YouTube soon.

www.youtube.com/steelpicker

Subscribe so that you will be notified.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Red's Royal Amp and Repair... "where you get it, Royally." :lol:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I never knew Red, although I met and talked briefly with him at the ISGC one year when he was with MCI Intertek. I know he was involved with the Groove Tubes company and other entrerprises as well.

I have his Alshire record that I still listen to quite a lot. One of the few covers of Charlton's Almost to Tulsa I've ever heard. I like his instrumental stuff and also his work on the other recording dates that he did.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Exactly, Herb. I got it royally there a few times.
Spent alot of time there in the '70's. Messed around on his Fenders a bit... could never make heads or tails out of his tunings.
I remember that kooky pickup he made...even numbered strings came out of a left amp, and odd numbered strings came out of a right amp. Pretty wild.
Always enjoyed the time I spent there...he was a unique guy.
I miss him.
Lafe Brown

Post by Lafe Brown »

When Gene Davis left the Palomino, Red took over as bandleader. In 1965, Red was the first person to win ACM's Steel Player of the Year. He was also nominated in '65 for ACM Bandleader/Band of the Year (Red Rhodes and the Detours); however, the award went to Buck Owens and his Buckaroos. That same year the Award for Outstanding Country Music Club went to the Palomino - North Hollywood. Altogether, Red was nominated for twelve ACMs and won four, all within the first ten years. The top ACM Steel Guitar winners were/are J.D. Maness (eighteen), Paul Franklin (fifteen), and Buddy Emmons (nine). What talent!

Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Lafe Brown wrote:When Gene Davis left the Palomino, Red took over as bandleader. In 1965, Red was the first person to win ACM's Steel Player of the Year. He was also nominated in '65 for ACM Bandleader/Band of the Year (Red Rhodes and the Detours); however, the award went to Buck Owens and his Buckaroos. That same year the Award for Outstanding Country Music Club went to the Palomino - North Hollywood. Altogether, Red was nominated for twelve ACMs and won four, all within the first ten years. The top ACM Steel Guitar winners were/are J.D. Maness (eighteen), Paul Franklin (fifteen), and Buddy Emmons (nine). What talent!
Imagine, if you will, a CMA ceremony where an award is presented to the “most outstanding music club”! It must have gone the way of “Instrumental Group Of The Year”.

I only know of Mr. Rhodes as a member of the Wrecking Crew, so your post led me to do a wiki on him, and holy crap....The guy was a boxer, an oil company engineer, and a professional musician. How many people can put that on their career stats? Was he an astronaut too? Knowing him personally must have been very interesting.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I only know of Mr. Rhodes as a member of the Wrecking Crew...
Yes he worked with Joe Osborn and Hal Blaine etc. on The Mamas and Papas'solo outputs. He plays on a Cass Elliot and on a John Phillips record
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Everyone recognizes this intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0IjBgyFoE

Herb Steiner told me this is Red too!
Lafe Brown

Post by Lafe Brown »

Fred, Red was also an early Member of the ACM Board of Directors. At the time, they were called the Academy of Country and Western Music. Red wasn't an astronaut, but he did play pedal steel in the movie, "The Right Stuff". Bill Conti won the Academy Award for Best Original Score and Red is listed in the musician credits.

Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Red wasn't an astronaut, but he did play pedal steel in the movie, "The Right Stuff". Bill Conti won the Academy Award for Best Original Score and Red is listed in the musician credits.
That just kills me. Amazing....
Steve Hinson

...Oscar...

Post by Steve Hinson »

Lafe Brown wrote:Fred, Red was also an early Member of the ACM Board of Directors. At the time, they were called the Academy of Country and Western Music. Red wasn't an astronaut, but he did play pedal steel in the movie, "The Right Stuff". Bill Conti won the Academy Award for Best Original Score and Red is listed in the musician credits.

First time I went to Red's house,he greeted me at the door:"You wanna see my Oscar?"

SH
Lafe Brown

Post by Lafe Brown »

Red lived two and a half miles from the Palomino on Lankershim. A number of folks crashed on his floor after the Pal closed for the evening, I imagine that would include a few members of this forum.