Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Ganz

What make is this pickup ?

Post by Jay Ganz »

Any idea which pickup this is? :roll:

Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

If it’s rather new, may be a Telonics 84. If older, Shields Crap Trap.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

I think it's maybe 10 years old or so.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Looks like a Tonealigner to me, but certainly no expert here.
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Good news: I agree, it looks like a Tonealighner. A great sounding pickup with a warm, modern tone. Think Greg Liesz on his Williams 12... here's "Shenandoah":
https://youtu.be/OMSVYi4FD5o?t=1728
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

It looks like a "Tone Alligner"to me also...Bob Hofnar will know?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Judging by the seam across the top, I would also lean toward the Tonealigner.
Otherwise it would look similar to the Telonics 84.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

It is one of mine. Funny how it looks just like a telonics ;)
Bob
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Definitely Tone Aligner, a great pickup.
Jerry
Alan Cannell

Post by Alan Cannell »

That’s interesting, I have had this pickup for some time , is it or isn’t it? It measures 21.7kohns
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Certainly looks like a Tonealigner. The measurement may not identify it; Bob Hoffnar would wind them to whatever the customer wanted. I'll let him chime in.
Alan Cannell

Post by Alan Cannell »

Thanks Tucker , it’s just that 21.7 is an unusual impedance. I have a E66 on my GFI at present and thought about putting this on to hear the difference.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

It's not a Telonics -- they don't have that split/join down the middle ...so probably a tonealigner !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Alan,
I made that pickup. I would often have a conversation with people about what they wanted there pickup to do and wind them accordingly. Every steel has its own resonant peak and you either need to work with it or around it. There are some tricks I learned after a while about adjusting the inductance that sometimes helped.

I made them by hand in my apt in Brooklyn and I'm not much of a craftsman so they came out a little sloppy looking. It was a great learning experience for me and I really enjoyed making them. I had some problems with the corner rivets (I hope I replaced or refunded everybody that got a crappy pickup from me) and then never really got up and running again after my move to Texas. I was planning on doing some production changes and then Telonics started making copies. They made a couple changes that were improvements. They had the pole pieces go all the way through the base plate giving them more variability and plus there over all build quality is better. Telonics pickups are more consistent and reliable.
I'm talking with a great full time pickup builder now about picking up the slack with steel guitar pickups. We could use another good standard single coil and I'll maybe bring back the Tonealigner and sell them cheap just to piss off the good people at Telonics ;)
Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 20 Aug 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Alan Cannell

Post by Alan Cannell »

Many thanks Bob for taking the time to respond to my post , I greatly appreciate your comments. I’m fascinated to know how the pickup will sound so I’ll give it a try. As I mentioned before the unusual impedance is still an unknown factor as to what tone it will produce.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Alan,
One thing kinda cool about the 12st pickups is that they can have a nice full midrange due to the increased mass of the magnetic metal parts. If you ever measure the resistance of pickups you have you will find that they vari quite a bit. Plus the resistance changes dramatically depending on the temperature. They are much more primitive than you would assume.
Bob
Alan Cannell

Post by Alan Cannell »

Thanks Bob , this gets more interesting every minute , fascinating facts are emerging.
Aaron Johnson

Post by Aaron Johnson »

Bob, please keep us updated on your pickup development. I'm thankful for Telonics, but would would love a less expensive option.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

For purposes of identification, it is easy to tell one from the other by the split vs. solid case. Neither is dust resistant.

Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Alan Cannell wrote: I have a E66 on my GFI at present and thought about putting this on to hear the difference.
The Tonealigner will very likely be a much fatter pickup, with less high-end edge than the E66 (which stands for "Emmons 1966"... the bright end of the spectrum). So, whether you'll like it depends on your tonal preference and the characteristics of the PSG you're going to pair it with.

I've found GFI's to generally have a bright tone. When paired with an E66, it becomes too much of a good thing, IMHO. I would put that Tonealigner in. Also, you can adjust the volume of individual strings by moving the pole pieces up or down. No more weak third string -- just don't overdo that adjustment or it will cross over and stop sounding like the instrument we love. I made that mistake...
Alan Cannell

Post by Alan Cannell »

Thanks Tucker , I’ll get the soldering iron to work and hopefully like what I hear. Strangely my GFI has never sounded over bright with the E66 when used with the matchbox....watch this space...and stay safe.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Bob made a great pickup, any of you modern players that have played out on tours have found venues in bad locations or with bad house wiring that single coil pickups hum so loud. I had to switch out the pickup in my Emmons PP because of this. Guitar players can adjust their position with the amp but steel players cannot. His Tonealigners sound really great. Not that I'm playing out now...