BL LXR-16 pickup--Will it fit a Derby?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Butch Pytko

BL LXR-16 pickup--Will it fit a Derby?

Post by Butch Pytko »

I'd like to know if any Derby owners have successfully installed this pickup. Just got off the Bill Lawrence site and couldn't find the dimensions for the LXR-16 or any other pickups they have. I have a D-10. Been reading about people shaving the base plate so it would fit other guitar brands, and that's OK, as I can do that. Also, am concerned if there is enough height and lowering adjustment. Thanks.
Last edited by Butch Pytko on 13 Aug 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Do you have a Geo L in there now? I can measure that vs 710 or 705

Similar thread re shaving baseplate https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=350861
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Butch - I have not installed a XR16 in my Derby. However, both a BL705 and BL710 fit with plenty of clearance. I realize it is not a direct answer to your question, but maybe it's a starting point.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Guys, thanks for posting. Whether it's good or bad, I found that the recessed pickup routing in my aluminum necks were cut-out to exactly fit George L's. I changed the original E-66 pickups to the SS-10 and 10-1, and found that they were the same size as the E-66 pickups. So, all 3 models were the same size. That's what I'm wondering about the Bill Lawrence line of models--if they are all the same size? If they are the same size, such as the 710 and 705, then the measurements of those pickups would help.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Left to Rgt: 200 mm high, 190 mm, 225 mm. Baseplates are all different thicknesses

Seems like you could ask Wilde or somebody else like Scott Swartz to put on a thinner baseplate, dremeling could have metal shavings all over the magnets

- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Gene--Thanks for the picture, looks like different sizes there. I'd better call or email and get the exact dimensions of the LXR-16 to be sure. Thanks.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Current production 705 is 7/8", you can ask Gary Sill about it

https://www.sillmusicsupply.com/Brand-N ... _p_51.html
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Still looking for more Derby owner comments.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

One extra layer of confusion that is worth mentioning----
I have seen accounts of new pickups from Wilde that have extended pole pieces on the bottom, changing the depth measurements from older BL pickups. So the depth of the cavity is in play too. I've got a bunch of Lawrence pickups but they're 12 stringers so the measurements won't do you any good.
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

Yes, Jon, I remember a while back someone posted the problem with extended poles with a picture--I saved that for my pickup file. So, whether I get comments from Derby owners who may have installed the LXR-16, or not, I'm still going to contact the Bill Lawrence people and get the exact dimensions of that particular pickup. Hopefully, with that info, I can determine if it will fit in the Derby cavity.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Jon, i think you're right, the more recent ones have poles thru baseplate as discussed in the tonealigner thread but i think for Derby mounting purposes the important measure is top of mounting tab or base plate to top of pickup, the Geo L is 1.85 cm, the 710 w/poles sticking out is 1.75 cm

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

A wide mount XR-16 is the same size as a wide mount BL710 if that helps ...I would assume narrow mounts of the same pickups would be identical as well.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Just noticed the Derby changer is 80.8 mm pin center to pin center form strings 1 to 10, so a little wider than normal, so my 710s are slightly misaligned w/outside strings. I would guess it's not a problem but you can ask Wilde pickups about that.