Memories to Burn - on my New Session 115 and N 115 Cabinet

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Toliver

Memories to Burn - on my New Session 115 and N 115 Cabinet

Post by Larry Toliver »

Hello Fellow steelers!
I just got a new amp from a friend of mine (dan johnson) in Austin. He had a buddy that wanted to sell this brand new Session 115 at an awesome price. I really wasn't even looking for a new amp....but the price was so good...that I got it and liked it. A day or 2 later, I found out that they make a companion cabinet for it and had to try it as well. Anyway see what y'all think about the tone. Let me know if it needs bass, mids, treble, reverb...or whatever! I know when a steel sounds good, but I'm not the best at finding my own tone on my amp. It's decent, but it still needs a little more tweaking!
Thanks a lot for you input!
Larry T

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/gORFNy9CbnM
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Great job Larry. This is just me but I like a little more reverb to play with. That being said you should be posting more videos, you are a fantastic player.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Thanks Paul, I do appreciate the feedback. I can definitely turn up the reverb. I get the tone to where it sounds good to me, but sometimes it's a little dry sounding 20 feet away from the stage.
Last edited by Larry Toliver on 23 Jul 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale McPherson

Post by Dale McPherson »

Thought it sounded great Larry. Hope you enjoy. Try sitting the speakers on both sides of you and letting the sound come from behind. Sounds crazy but it's works.
Steven Hicken Jr.

Post by Steven Hicken Jr. »

Sounds great and brilliant playing.

Yeah, I too like a little more verb but its best to be more conservative when doing demos...or you'll get nailed by the effects police :twisted:

As regards the comment "20 feet from the stage", I find playing in live bands needing a bit more rain. Playing over backing tracks is fine because the steel is right out front but when in a band scenario I find myself using more verb because you lose a lot of it when everybody else are flying on verb and the levels are all blended...making you sound dry even though a capella you've got a nice verb.
25 year old wannabe.
2015 Show Pro
2020 Hudson Hudsonator (Pedabro)
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Thanks Dale! And...Steven I agree with you totally on the reverb thing. A year or so ago at the Dallas Show, I got to do a threesome with Steve Palousek and Doug Jernigan. I thought Doug had way too much reverb on his amp as we were warming up, but I stepped down to visit and it was perfect just off the stage.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Couple of things.

First, we could get a better idea of the sound if the camera were facing the amps, but not too close. Not that we don't like seeing you, but the amps are prettier.

As far as reverb. I think it is just right. I am not much of an effect guy and think that our hands should provide most of those effects, so the reverb is fine with me.

Now I need a picture of you and the rig to post on Peavey's site.

And I'm sure glad to be able to help get you a brand spanking new 115 N Cabinet.

Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Thanks everyone for all of the help. Anyone else, feel free to critique the sound. I appreciate everybodys input.
Larry T
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Larry, I was more than pleased with the tone and you did a wonderful job on this. I agree with Bill, post some more please.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Well Larry,
I appreciate that very much. I'll try to do that.

Larry T
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Larry why the extra cab 115N?
Danny Harrell

Post by Danny Harrell »

Great tone and playing Larry! As always, you are one of my favorites.

Danny
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Larry,
I’m with Danny...superb picking and tone! I’ll just bet it sounds even better live. The new Session and extension cab are a very fine looking set. Congrats on a great deal...Carl
Tomi Graso

Post by Tomi Graso »

Hi Larry, very nice playing, great tone !
Not sure if Peavey is still in business, this video
actually inspired me to look in to getting one of these
Amps. Really like your high strings response and mids
are really nice and has a character to it. Although i would bump the lows up just a bit. But thats just me. You playing and sound is great. Really Impressed by that sound. Cheers, Tomi-steel
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Very nice Larry!
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Sounds Great Larry! I was always one that thought amps of this size would be too much amp and not sound good in a house setting. Not the case here though, nice job.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Larry -

Good job & good tone - Peavey does it again.

Here's Tiny Olson from 'back in the day' - a little more up tempo which can be a real knuckle buster to properly play the licks and solo that he did.

What a great road band Gene Watson had!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2qFzR4HBgU
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

Nice job! I love the sound, and I think the amount of verb you have is just fine. I’m of the opinion that reverb is a lot like perfume. Usually, enough is sufficient. :) Though it can smooth things out, it also can cover nuance you don’t want buried. As well as you play, you don’t want to cover it up with excessive reverb (IMHO).