Bars are closed in Texas

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Post by b0b »

Bill McCloskey wrote:what about setting up a live stream b0b? Instant audience. and put in a tip jar.
I know people who are doing that. If I depended on gigging for income, I'd consider it.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Mack Quinney

Post by Mack Quinney »

The news last night in Austin interviewed the association that represents bar and music venue industry. The gentleman they interviewed said most bars and music venues are holding on by a thread, and if something doesn’t change most will be out of business by October.
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

One of my favorite jazz clubs is Smalls in Manhattan. They have been booking acts since june and paying their regular gig rate. No audience, everything live streamed. Plus they have gotten some help from folks like Billy Joel who donated $25k to help them pay their bills. Here is an article about how they are surviving. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/31/arts ... certs.html

Makes me wonder about the stars of the country world, are they stepping up?
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

It seems that the country stars are doing fund raisers for different entities like feed the homeless and cancer research, which is also needed, however, I have never seen a single one that benefits the musicians that are in the real world.
Most of the "Big" stars have their guys on salary (which is good, but a small percentage) and are out of touch (IMHO) with the guys in the trenches. I don't have a clue as to how they would donate or create a honest way to get musicians across the country the money. That would be a task in itself, I think. Somehow, it seems that most of the money gets sucked up by the management before it gets to the right people anyway. There are some "Go Fund Me" accounts that I have donated to during the Facebook concert. Just my opinion.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Roy, John McLaughlin is doing his bit for jazz musicians, like Billy Joel was mentioned earlier.
https://downbeat.com/news/detail/john-m ... down-blues

Maybe a country artist might consider doing the same. It’s a big decision though; once you start emergency fundraising, the requests never stop. McLaughlin seems okay with it, as he is involved with many of these type of projects.
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Some bars are opened here in the Ft Lauderdale area, but absolutely no country music can be found. Even when there was no Corvid 19, there was no local country music bands playing. Country music here can be found in our local cemeteries, it's over, finished, gone into the Twilight Zone.
John Palumbo

Post by John Palumbo »

Jim Fogarty wrote:I hope a decision gets made to shut EVERYTHING down in the whole country for the next 3 months, so we can finally get a real handle on this virus. This state by state open/closed/open/closed nonsense obviously isn't working. We were closed here in PA from mid-March, and now that it's time for us to reopen, the states that didn't take it seriously are screwing things up. The virus doesn't care about borders.

Wear a damned mask........and just stay home unless you HAVE To go out.
You said it Jim, totally agree with you,these are such crazy times.
From a fellow Pennsylvanian
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Kenneth Kotsay wrote:Some bars are opened here in the Ft Lauderdale area, but absolutely no country music can be found. Even when there was no Corvid 19, there was no local country music bands playing. Country music here can be found in our local cemeteries, it's over, finished, gone into the Twilight Zone.
There is some in the Stuart-Jupiter area. At least there was before I left at end of May. Of course right now things are on hold.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

This thing about all the bars in Texas closed up brought to mind a song from a songwriter I've admired and played his music for decades... Brian Burns. Here's a video you Texans on here might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTH533NIyg
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

That's a good'un, Herb. I first heard of Brian way back listening to Radio Free Texas. I envy the wealth of musical talent down there!
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

It’s been a slow season here, honestly I’m enjoying some time off after 35 years of chasing notes, a little battery recharge is healthy, chops are rusty but ehhh who cares. I’m not selling out though we have dates throughout the year here and there, keep your chins up laddies, there is life out there besides music.
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

a goodtime to learn c6, the no money, no gigs neck. i'm having a blast.
Price Porter

Bars closed in texas

Post by Price Porter »

Howdy larry bressington,old buddy!I agree with the approach of recharging and being ready and pick up when this terrible crisis passes.remember the days when you and I used to play together playin the dance halls of Nebraska and the Dakota's.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Herb Steiner wrote:This thing about all the bars in Texas closed up brought to mind a song from a songwriter I've admired and played his music for decades... Brian Burns. Here's a video you Texans on here might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTH533NIyg
Healdsburg and Santa Rosa? He has been everywhere! :mrgreen:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Hello my old road pickin mate 'Price Porter' long time no see my brother, i had no idea you were in Marble falls, i do alot of Texas trips, we need to visit sometime in the future, maybe at a gig, blessings to you and family! :)