Bruce Bouton is playing a Kemper profiling amp -

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Blackburn

Post by Bruce Blackburn »

Mike Holder has some very good profiles.
Rittenberry Prestige D10, Dekley S14U, (stolen) ZumSteel D10
(2) Nashville 112's Nashville 1000, Profex II Kemper Profiler Powered, Quilter Tone Block 202, Benado Steel Dream
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

Theodore Wells wrote:Wondering if Kemper users are choosing the unpowered Kemper profiler or the
600 watt powered profiler? How many are using IEM or a powered speaker in conjunction with the Kemper?
I went with the un-powered version since its just a mono amp. I like to run stereo so it won't work for me..
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

I run the unpowered version also. It now has the ability to run stereo monitor out so I run that directly into my Mipro 909 digital wireless iem unit. Then I run a mono aux feed from our Midas digital mixer into the aux in on the Kemper with my steel turned down in the monitor mix so I can hear the rest of the band in my ears. This way I hear exactly how my Kemper sounds without going thru the Midas preamp and not being able to change the eq for my ears because it is set for out front. I love how this sounds as I can hear my steel in stereo in my iems and it sounds like a well mixed cd. I also invested in quality dual driver custom ear molds which makes a huge difference as well.
Phil Bradbury

Post by Phil Bradbury »

I wanted to set the record straight on Bruce Bouton, the Little Walter amps and the Kemper. When Bruce started the Garth Brooks World Tour he was planning on using the 100 watt (89) Little Walter Pedal Steel amp for his pedal steel and the Little Walter 22 for his lap steel. The sound man let him use the 22 but insisted he use the pirated Little Walter 50 sample through a kemper for his pedal steel. Bruce and I discussed it. It was not too bad but still lacked the attack, drive, and warmth of a tube chassis live. After the first break on the tour I convinced Bruce to take his 100 watt and use it. Cleveland was the first show of this leg. He used it and after the show Garth ran up to him and said "I don't know what you did tonight Bouton, but what ever you do keep it up. It was the best steel sound I have ever heard on stage". Now you know the rest of the story. I would urge you to take your kemper with a sample of any tube amp and A / B it side byside. You will be amazed at how different they sound. You really don't know until you try it.
Phil Bradbury
Little Walter Tube Amps
489 Mclendon Hills Drive
West End NC 27376
910-315-2445
www.littlewaltertubeamps.com
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

First of all, I think Litltle Walter amps are increadible sounding amps. I would love to own one but can’t shell out the $3000 plus for a complete rig. The Kemper is never going to replace tube amps but is simply a valuable tool that fits a niche. I myself play in a band where we don’t allow amps on stage and use IEM’s. I don’t play on some huge concert stage where I can mic up an amp under the rear of the stage or put it in an iso box. I play in small clubs and the Kemper is perfect for that situation. I also play guitar, mando, and a six string banjo and run it all thru the Kemper. I would have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get all the amps and effects I get with the Kemper. Is the Kemper going to sound exactly like the amp it is profiling? Probably not but is close enough that alot of people couldn’t tell the difference. I profiled my Dr. Z M12 amp before I sold it and I could barely tell a difference, had to go back and forth several times to hear any subtle difference. It is convincing enough that Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Olander of Diamond Rio, and other artists are using them on tour. Also I don’t know if I would refer to a profile as a “pirated sample.” That would seem to suggest that the profile was ill gotten or illegal in some way. I don’t believe, unless I’m wrong, that you can patent the sound that comes out of an amp and most sellers of profiles out there are very careful to say their profiles are “based” on this amp or that. So I think there will always be a place for a good tube amp, most of us would pick one over anything else if we had the choice, but the Kemper is an amazing piece of gear that fits a specific role for many of us. I don’t believe the Kemper will put amp makers out of business and some makers like Mike Zaite of Dr. Z was not not happy with the profiles of his amps that were out there so he decided to profile his own amps the way he though they should sound and put them for sale on his website as packs to go along with the real amps he sells. Good for him. I would love to see an official Little Walter profile pack and would gobble that up immediately. It could be another revenue stream? I do want to salute Phil as he has produced an increadible amp that sounds like no other amp out there and has been increadibly supportive of the steel guitar community. Some day when I fall into some extra funds I would love to buy my own Little Walter amp.
Phil Bradbury

Post by Phil Bradbury »

I appreciate your thoughts on my post and I do understand as a musician myself of limited means how hard it is to afford the tools you want. I do hope I get to build you an amp someday sir. My "Pirated" reference was to the fact that it is not a legal issue but rather an ethical issue. I have spent so much money testing and trying so many different combinations that when I do get an amp right it is hard to make a profit until I have sold a pile of them. So, for a company to clone my tone in their computer and not offer me or any other amp builder a royalty seems wrong. Thanks for your thoughtful response.
Phil Bradbury
Little Walter Tube Amps
489 Mclendon Hills Drive
West End NC 27376
910-315-2445
www.littlewaltertubeamps.com
Mike Holder

Kemper

Post by Mike Holder »

This is a very interesting topic and many different points of view to consider.When the Peavey Profex came out nobody was concerned about the composition of the sounds yet some think this is different. The Kemper has figured out how to reproduce an amps sound quite realistically and as a working tool of the trade has made direct recording and live playing very easy and tolerable for the vast traveling conditions. It makes electric sounding instruments cohabit with acoustic ones volume wise giving massive control to engineers and live production. Having your entire amp collection at the flip of a switch and not having to transport them is priceless.On one hand I see an amp designers argument about the sampled sound of their product and them not getting a royalty but did they ever wonder if they could or should offer something to Jim Marshall or Leo Fender when they altered their schematic? Are these issues related? Have you ever known a musician to take credit for an intro? Do they own it or were they smart using the same 7 notes we all have by using them in a more interesting way? There's room for both and they each have a place. I have a Little Walter that I bought used, do I owe a royalty or does the seller? I've heard this same argument with learning courses etc.When the self driving semi trucks become reality will the truckers get a buyout? These are all boutique amps & effects and the quality inside them will sell themselves, just an opinion!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Godfrey Arthur

Re: Kemper

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Mike Holder wrote: Have you ever known a musician to take credit for an intro?
These guys were sued for using a line.

Although it derailed the band The Verve's career the owners of the "line" acquiesced and gave back the royalties.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/23/rolling-s ... the-verve/

https://youtu.be/1lyu1KKwC74

https://youtu.be/gdFQtbXAWdc

Something to consider for future. They can already clone someone's voice and face. Let's not put it past someone to make an app that allows you to sound like Elvis, Orbison or sound like the pedal steel greats. One thing leads to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1KWpoX9Hk
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

As I said,.. many points of view to consider!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

We use Kempers....not by choice
Like Phil said A/B them, its night and day

Im currently doing sessions and shows with Georgette using my Walter 89 until Easton starts touring again and nothing will sound like that amp in a profile..

Jamie
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

So in effect you by your own personal experience own both and use the Kemper when requested but prefer the amp when it’s your call but admit the Kemper cannot actually sound like the Little Walter to the educated discerning ear. Then what’s the problem? Where’s the concern for the royalties?...As I said, “ many points to consider “!... thanks for you POV Jamie it is thought provoking!
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

I own my Walter amp, not the Kemper. When I bought my Walter 89 a few weeks after we found out we were going on the Carrie Under tour...and her production flat out said no amps....so then we were forced to use something which ended up being Kempers...of course I refused to buy one after my purchase of my LW89...So bossman had to buy them. I profiled my amp for me and for me only..in the IEM its not too bad. But when you go back to the amp, its night and day. Right now im doing shows with Georgette and using my LW89, big smiles everytime i use it. Everyone hears different amd likes different things. I also helped Bruce with some settings I got grom Paul which made the amp just sparkle!
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

So if you profile the amp for you and you only does that negate the obligation to pay a perspective “royalty”?..It becomes different somehow? I just want to get the concept right. It’s not your Kemper but it has your profile on it. If you got the settings for your LW from Paul you in effect have profiled Paul’s amp because they’re all the same. As I keep sayin, “ many different things to consider “, The Kemper or Fractil Axe are great performing tools and Little Walter amps are very well made state of the art amplifiers. Both have their place and should be able to co exist without this controversy. ... Just sayin!!
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

While we’re on this subject, I watched the Grand Ole Opry last week and it had Darius Rucker & Clint Black as the Guests. Clint was using a Kemper with Michael Britt profiles and if I’m correct used Little Walter patches and it sounded great!!