Warning Using Links to manualslib.com

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Jerry Overstreet

Warning Using Links to manualslib.com

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

This is 3 times I've been hit by this big red pop-up while following search links to different products, directing me to contact a phone number as my pc had been compromised. Of course, I didn't reply and was able to get out of it by shutting down my PC.

This one was a link to Behringer products...I've forgotten what the other 2 were.

Previously, it took several attempts to get rid of it by powering off.

I don't think it's anything to do with the manualslib. site itself, rather someone attaching this garbage to links for different products.

So FYI.
get the sticker from Scott Murray

proud appalachian american
those of you who think you know everything annoy the he!! out of those of us that do. ;-)
never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience-Mark Twain-
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

There are a few scenarios to explain this drive-by tech support scam.
  1. Your browser has been compromised by a scripted Trojan. Run a malware scan.
  2. The website has been compromised at the directory level where you are entering it.
  3. The web server itself has been compromised at the root level.
  4. One of the ad networks they allow is unknowingly serving a malicious ad that contains a JavaScript driven script that fingerprints browsers and delivers malvertising to likely soft targets. This is the most likely cause.
You should contact the website and report this in case their server has been compromised. If it was malvertising, they can call in an investigator to find out which ad network is responsible. The threat won't end until the source has been located and neutralized.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jerry Overstreet

Thank you sir. Will follow up on your info.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

If it happens on other sites, you computer or device is possibly infected.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jerry Overstreet

No. Just when following search links to the site for certain products did this happen. I've not had any problems when just entering the url directly.