Threading 3/32" Diameter rods

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Williams

Post by Stephen Williams »

When I cut 4/40 threads on my 3/32" rods, the thread is not as pronounced as a machine screw in comparison. I mean to say the peaks and valleys are not as big, meaning that a nut would slip off more easily.

I checked the diameter of my rods with a micrometer and they are good. The only odd thing is I can turn the die with my hands which says to me that not enough materials is being taken off.

Any thoughts?
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Yo Steve, You'll have better luck with a 3-48 thread on a 3/32 rod.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I've made several 3/32" stainless rods with a 4-40 thread, using a standard die, and never have a problem with the nylon nuts slippng off. If that concerns you, buy new nylon nuts aand screw them onto the rod letting the rod be the "tap". That's what I do.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
LaVern Skarzenski

Post by LaVern Skarzenski »

I'll second what Ross said. Several years back I had the same problem with stripping the nylon nuts. Bought me a 3/48 and drilled the plastic nut accordingly and all was well after that.
LaVern
GFI S10, BSG S10, Nashville 112, Digitech 155, DOD DFX9 Digital Delay, Goodrich L 120.
Bobby D. Jones

Threading 3/32 rods

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

If you are comparing the threads that you cut on your rods, To store bolts or rods in your steel. They may be Rolled threads. As the thread is rolled half the thread is cut down into the rod and half the thread is raised up by the pressure of the Die plates. to get a full thread you will have to go to 3-48 thread like Ross suggested. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Jim Park

Post by Jim Park »

3/32 rod is .0937 in diameter, and the major diameter of 4-40 thread is .112, so you need a 7/64 rod to come close to having good threads.
Stephen Williams

Post by Stephen Williams »

Thank ye all good people. I will search for a 3/48 Die then.

If i use a 3/48 die on a 3/32 rod, is there a hollow hex nylon spacer that fits that off the shelf?
Richard Sinkler

Most of the time, the nylon tuners you buy are not threaded. I just checked with Mouser, and they don't have nylon hex spacers/standoffs in 3/48 thread. Just use the threaded rod as a tap for the tuner.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 7 Aug 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

i've never found any off the shelf "spacers" that work...Michael Yahl at PSG parts offers them though.
Richard Sinkler

Why exactly would 3-48 be better than 4-40? Are many people having issues with 4-40? I realize the threads would be cut deeper, but is it that big of a deal?
LaVern Skarzenski

It was a big deal on my GFI. Mine was built March 10, 1995, it is an all pull, S-10, and was originally a 3p, 4l. I added I've added one lever and several pedals over the years but I am back to 4 Pedals and 5 levers. It was while trying these modifications that I began having trouble with the nuts stripping. I was using 3/32, 304 welding rod to make my pull rods. For what it is worth GFI uses a rolled thread which increases the diameter of rod being threaded. Thus you have a smaller rod/ lighter guitar, with the same advantage as a 7/64 rod. I believe that is correct but if not please clarify. As my late buddy Doug Seymour used to say, Gene Fields was a mechanical genius.
GFI S10, BSG S10, Nashville 112, Digitech 155, DOD DFX9 Digital Delay, Goodrich L 120.
LaVern Skarzenski

I have a lathe so it wasn't too hard to make my own. If I remember correctly, I did have a bit of trouble finding 3/16 hex stock. I eventually got connected to US plastic through Don Burrows. Here is the link I located this morning:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... emid=22963 .

Of course if you don't have access to a lathe you are probably better off looking for the proper nuts already made.
jay thompson

Post by jay thompson »

I have always used a UNC 4-40 die for 3/32" SS rod. That includes re-rodding an Emmoms LeGrand SKH, LeGrande II, and about 1/2 a Carter D-10 with no problems. Check the adjusting screw so it is not spreading the die.
Regards, Jay Thompson
Richard Sinkler

Re: Threading 3/32

jay thompson wrote:I have always used a UNC 4-40 die for 3/32" SS rod. That includes re-rodding an Emmoms LeGrand SKH, LeGrande II, and about 1/2 a Carter D-10 with no problems. Check the adjusting screw so it is not spreading the die.
Regards, Jay Thompson
Me too. And I am about to rebuild my Carter D10 undercarriage using the barrels in place of dogbones. I will make new rods for each change.
Bill Hoskins

Threading 3/32 rods

Post by Bill Hoskins »

Hi Jay,
I would like to thread some 3/32 rods. I am concerned about how to get the die started straight. I saw your old post and was wondering where you got the knurled die stock. It looks like this would work better than the one with handles. Thanks for any advice...Bill
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

I wonder if some of the builders might sell a few 3/32 rods with rolled thread. One of the builders offered too sell me enough rods too do a Sd 10, his stock had rolled threads on both ends The rolled threats are the cats meow!
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Die nuts are adjustable by tightening (or loosening) the set screw that spans the split. Tightening forces it open for 'less' thread, and loosening it alows it to close for a deeper thread. They have to be adjusted...a small adjustment goes a long way.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Johnie King wrote:I wonder if some of the builders might sell a few 3/32 rods with rolled thread...
Hobby stores sell 3/32" rod with rolled 4-40 thread, up to 36", very inexpensive.
Chris Reesor

Post by Chris Reesor »

Grind a bevel on the end of the rod you are about to thread.
Then fix it firmly in a vise with out too much protrusion or you may bend the end of the rod. I use my nylon jaw Panavise; to get a good non slip grip I fold a strip of fine emery cloth over the rod. This won't mar the rod much if at all.
Start with the correct side of the die; you'll see a conical "entry" ground away from the threads inside the die.
Use RapidTap or equivalent cutting fluid. Keep it wet.
Don't worry if the die is slightly cocked as it starts, it will straighten itself out when it is fully engaged in the cut.
Cut a full turn, then back off a half turn, and repeat until the thread is as long as you need.
It is pretty easy with the right stuff and a little practice.
Excel Superb U12, MIJ Squier tele, modified Deluxe Reverb RI, Cube 80XL, self built acoustics & mandolins
Larry Hobson

3/32 rof

Post by Larry Hobson »

Ian,. Which hobby stores ?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

FWIW, Franklin uses 1/8" aluminum rods. He uses a 6-40 die to cut threads on the 1/8" rod.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
LaVern Skarzenski

Re: 3/32 rof

Larry Hobson wrote:Ian,. Which hobby stores ?
Hi Larry, There is a website named DU-BRO, https://www.dubro.com/collections/all

That has rods of various diameters and lengths. You might try them. Hope this helps.
LaVern
Dean Smith

Post by Dean Smith »

Sometimes, you find yourself in a position where you locate a tuning nut that is loose and you might need it to last a while longer until you get new ones.

I keep Teflon tape in my steel seat. Just a few wraps on the threads and thread the nut back on. Works very well...FWIW
Patrick "Dean" Smith
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Larry Hobson wrote:Ian,. Which hobby stores ?
https://www.towerhobbies.com, http://www.advantagehobby.com, etc., Amazon, it's the same stuff LaVern linked, 0.093" diameter, used for control linkage in larger RC planes
Bill Hoskins

Threading 3/32 rods

Post by Bill Hoskins »

Chris,
Thanks for the threading tips. I was concerned about the threads not being straight. Sounds like it's not a big problem.