How to import BIAB file to DAW ?

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Michell Geerdink

How to import BIAB file to DAW ?

Post by Michell Geerdink »

Hello,

I want to import a BIAB file to the daw i'm using. Could anyone explain how i should do this?
I have BIAB 2018 and the DAW i'm using is Waveform (Tracktion)
What i would like te be able to achieve is making a backing track in BIAB, then take the file to Waveform and record a steelpart over it.

Thanks in advance,
Michell
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Save the BIAB song as a wav file.
Import that wav file to one track in your DAW.
Record the steel in a separate track.
Mixdown the two tracks to one final track.

That will give you the BIAB and Steel together.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Michell Geerdink

Thanks Jack,

I'm going to try it and i'll let you know once i succeed..
Michell
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've done that several times.
I use Cakewalk Sonar in my home recording studio.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Michell Geerdink

Okay, thanks again. I'm very new at this. I want to make short videos of licks and other steel, and guitar parts. So synchronising video and audio will be a challenge also..

I purchased a Behringer Xenyx 802 usb mixer and it came with free recording software, Tracktion, or Waveform as it is now called i believe.
If have no clue whether this is the 'right' software for beginners though..
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have no experience with that mixer and it may be an issue for what you want to do.

One most likely issue will be latency. The difference in time due to hearing the playback of the backing track and recording the steel part and they can be out of sync. It can be significant with some interface hardware. PC Sound cards are no better and most have poor latency.

Commercial recording studio that record audio for video use 48Khz to be able to sync with video rather than the "standard" 44.1Khz.
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

You can save each instrument as an individual wave file and import each one to a separate track. Then you can really work it over. I save the BIAB files, the open them in Real Band a lot of times before saving as individual wave files. It seems to work better for me, YMMV
Michell Geerdink

Well, i succeeded in saving the BIAB file as a WAV file which is cool. Also i managed to import the wav into Tracktion/waveform.
Now i can play the wav file, then record a pedal steel part on a second track.
Now, i need to put the two tracks together to one file and here's where i find difficulties.
How do i do this? Can anyone give me some tips?
Thanks in advance,

Michell
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

There are several tutorial videos on youtube. Here's one that explains rendering the audio near the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yViAxz7BLo
Derrick Unger

recording

Post by Derrick Unger »

If you made a second track in your recording daw and played along with the imported band in a box backing track and it sounds allright you should be able to export to MP3 or wave and then have a file with both together...make note that you cannot separate that wave or MP3 but you can import it again and add a bass or anything else you may want.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112
Mark McCornack

Post by Mark McCornack »

Here’s another option you might consider for addressing your issue. There is another excellent DAW on the market called REAPER, available for free demo and a very reasonable purchase price should you decide to buy it..

With REAPER, I use the Band in a Box VST plugin on a completed Band in a Box project files and import them into REAPER as separate tracks. This gives a great deal more flexibility than rendering a file in BIAB to a stereo WAV or MP3 then importing this stereo file into your DAW. Your backing file can then have multiple tracks (bass, guitar, drums, piano, alternate piano, sax, etc..) and you can now deal with them individually in mixing. Add your steel part(s) then, and complete the mixing. Way better than a fixed stereo track.

Here’s a video from the producers of Band in a Box that will go through the process. It’s a bit of an “infomercial”, as is most of their stuff, but the important information is there and easy to understand.

As a side note, you may want to take a look at REAPER in any case as your DAW. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Here’s the video
ttps://www.pgmusic.com/support.bbplugin.reaper.htm
Travis Wilson

Post by Travis Wilson »

You can also export all the midi data. That’s what I do, I make the song quickly in BIAB and export the midi to Reason. I find it easier customize it and add better instruments that way.
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Michell Geerdink wrote:Okay, thanks again. I'm very new at this. I want to make short videos of licks and other steel, and guitar parts. So synchronising video and audio will be a challenge also..

I purchased a Behringer Xenyx 802 usb mixer and it came with free recording software, Tracktion, or Waveform as it is now called i believe.
If have no clue whether this is the 'right' software for beginners though..
record the video and audio on your camera. At the same time record your steel on a separate recorder. If the take is good then import your steel and audio track from your separate recorder on the video track as a separate track and line up that audio with the audio recorded on the camera. then delete the camera audio. It will be in perfect sync with the video.