Logitech C 920 webcam and a mixer

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Gene Tani wrote:Mackie's: great mixers, great investment, last forever, tho pots may get scratchy after 10 years, don't hose it down with Deoxit if that happens. Preamp will make your mike tracks sound much fuller
Yes Gene...those Mackie's are hard to beat on the quality. I plan on keeping it for sure.
Jim Fogle

Don - Sounds Great

Post by Jim Fogle »

Don,

I just finished listening to your playing and watching your video. Great job on the playing. That's a song I'm not familiar with so it was nice to hear it for the first time. Nice backing track.

I would have left a comment below the video but comments are turned off.

The Mackie mixer has has a really nice sound to it. Your steel has a nice tone using the channel input high impedance setting. Did you use any equalization on the channel?

I'm assuming that is the mixer reverb I'm hearing. How do you have the reverb set up?

I don't think I've ever seen a formal armrest on a steel before although I have seen many players use a towel folded up. That's a great idea and it looks nice.
Last edited by Jim Fogle on 22 May 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

Missed the video til now: You're sounding great in Hughey land (and down below too of course.

Is that an RP?

I have to say my experience with audio drivers and Windows 7/10 hasn't been good, the recent one I installed for Presonus, I have to keep unplugging and plugging in the interface to keep it working, I should get another Focusrite, I don't know what happened to my last one.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

This reply is to Jim and Gene.

To answer your questions...I do have a Pre Royal 1992 Mullen 3 x 4 with 705 PU. I bought and installed all new guide rollers, 10 tuning gears,705 PU, bell cranks,bell crank shaft bushings, knee lever flags, nylon tuning nuts and new strings.

The arm rest pad was already on it when I got it. I love the the tone that the 705 PU puts out with my mixer and my amp I have. The amp is a 1998 Peavey Special 130 with new BW 1203 speaker and Ken Fox chips. Its has one heck of a tone!

The mixer does have the HZ high impedance button for guitars. I have the EQ's set at High 1 o'clock Meds 1 o'clock and Low 3 o'clock. The FX knob at 10 o'clock. Gain at 12 o'clock. Compression at 12 o'clock. Volume at 2 o'clock.

On channel 9/10 I have the button tuened on to USB 3-4.The effects is set at # 8 small plate. The volume at 2 o'clock and everything else is at 12 o'clock except the FX knob..its off..Im controlling it on channel one. My master volume is at 2 o'clock.

Thanks for the comments on my steel playing. I was practicing in the video you all seen, but when I get warmed up watch out...LOL! My big thumps always get in the way sometimes...LOL!

Take a look at my Eagles songs 4 years ago. Got the link below.Thanks guys!

https://youtu.be/sQaOhk_Pou8

Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I have finally cracked it!

Before I bought the Scarlett 8i6 box I was happily videoing myself playing with tracks after learning the trick where you disable the camera mic in this panel
and feed the line in from your mixer. Then when I got the Scarlett I discovered that that same trick only gives you a signal from the mic inputs on the front (in other words the preamp output) and not the line inputs on the back, which is where I plug in the DI from my steel rig.

So now instead of trying to use "Focusrite" as the recording source I've gone back to using the line in, fed from a monitor output so that what goes on to the video is exactly what I'm hearing as I play, including tracks or any other audio resident on the computer, or YouTube, all of which is looped back by the Focusrite Control monitoring software. That audio is coming out of the computer and back in again so in the Windows playback mixer the line in must be muted or you get a howl.

It's getting late here but I'll do a demo asap. I was determined not to buy another piece of hardware, although Don's purchase looks like a good 'un.
Last edited by Ian Rae on 22 May 2020 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

It looks like you got it made now Ian. I to was going nuts trying to figure the puzzle out.

I took the Scarlett 2i2 back to Guitar Center and exchanged it for a Mackie. More options when you need them in the future. Better pre amps too.

Now beginners can look at these post and decide what they will do and cut down on mistakes or new ways to record.The ideas that all the guys posted are a treasure chest to help others.I appreciate each and every one of them...great bunch of guys!
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

That's some good undercover research, Ian but this kind of undocumented Win10 hack makes me want to buy another mac! Mine's so old it doesn't recognize the logitech c920, or maybe it figures nobody can buy webcams anywhere at any price, so why bother?

Don: so what video/audio capture software did that? I'm going to save that Mullen list for my RP, I need to start rerodding sometime, it's got this super interesting coped now!
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Gene, if you are talking about the Eagles song then I had the USB C 920 making the video and the USB Samson Meteor mic was doing the recording, Windows 10 input was set default to the Samson mic and the C 920 as well..

When you set the Windows inputs in the recording tab to the Samson mic or the Mackie Pro your C 920 will run in what ever setting you gave Windows.

At that time of the recording I was using the Maxon analog reverb pedal for the steel (I never use a delay pedal) and the Samsom mic was facing down on my desk to the Peavey Session 500. I had the Peavey angled up between my desk and my wall so the mic could be in line with the speaker.

I didnt know I had such a great sound doing it this way until I watched the video.I might have to go back to micing my amp again using the new Mackie an see how it sounds with the Peavey Special I have.

Here is that song Im working on. Im posting it here for all of the guys to use too. Run with it and see how you do. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eufSWcqSIsg

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

congrats Don, you cracked the code, don't use the Scarlet ! Stay inside the PC domain ! :lol:

I suspect that , one day though, you will return to GC and re-acquire the Scarlett !

tp
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Yep Tony..I think I found the code for now. I really like this new Mackie they have out..all though I dont need 10 channels, but who knows what the future will bring...LOL!

I would not have gotten this Mackie if it had not had the new Line In/USB button..which makes it possible to run tracks, steel and C920 at the same time...plus the HZ button for high impedance instruments like the steel.

It came with 2 Free DAWS to mix,record and create. The Daw's are Pro tools First and WaveForm OEM. The pre amps in this unit is "OH MY GOSH AWESOME"!! I tested them with a friends mic. Mackie really did a great job on those new pre amps for this third generation unit 3V.

All in all this unit has found a new home...LOL!