Malignant Chrome Extension

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Ken Pippus

Malignant Chrome Extension

Post by Ken Pippus »

Mea Culpa, I clicked something I thought was a USPS tracking site, and ended up downloading "trackyourpackage" and a couple of other pieces of poop. Have gone to Chrome Settings and deleted a couple of obvious villains, but still occasionally have a notification pop up which, when clicked, sends me to some other malicious site.

Have run Malwarebytes Premium several times, and it blocks all this yuck. What else do I do to get rid of it permanently?
Pete Nicholls

Look in quarantine

Post by Pete Nicholls »

If the pests were picked up by Malwarebytes, they should be in quarantine. Find them in quarantine and delete them (I think with right-click, Delete)
Justice The Judge SD-10, 2007
Justice Pro Lite SD-10, 2011
Quilter Steelaire
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Did that. Still popping up, infrequently and unpredictably. Now trying uninstalling Chrome. Will probably reinstall it, it not without trepidation.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Okay. Uninstalled Chrome, ran Malwarebytes multiple times, disarmed all the Chrome extensions I didn't recognize. Waited over a week. Reinstalled Chrome, immediately on opening, it tries to redirect to

search.trackyourpackagetab1.com

I strongly suggest you not access this link!

Have uninstalled Chrome again. Any hope for ever making it useful again?
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

I am no computer pro, so my suggestions are basic, but did you go to control panel - programs and look for any that you don't recognize? Are you sure Chrome is set as your default? I recently had a problem, and something else was set for default (search or browser, don't remember which) and everything looked normal, but it was causing issues, although not sending me to malware sites.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I found a guide that outlines processes for removing this malware. https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tr ... -packages/
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Here is another guide for removing the Search Plus redirect malware. https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/1 ... r-hijacker

Do you have Malwarebytes Premium installed and running on the computer or device that got infected? If not, let me know.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog