Tim Fleming, forum member

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Rick Hayes

Tim Fleming, forum member

Post by Rick Hayes »

Sad news: Tim Fleming, SGF member, passed away early this morning, but apparently not from coronavirus, as had been initially reported. Tim was the steelpicker for my good friend and neighbor Brad Colerick. See the following for more details.

Link: https://southpasadenan.com/tim-fleming- ... nt-friend/

A multi-instrumentalist and unbelievably talented pedal steel player, I was always so impressed with his ability to back female vocalists playing steel as the lead instrument, never overpowering the singer -- such a remarkably delicate touch.

More information as I find out....

On edit 4/23/20: Brad Colerick's new weekly podcast last night was dedicated to Tim and his music. Listen here: https://blueguitar.club/2020/04/22/wine ... odcast-05/

On further edit 4/23/20: New tribute to Tim in the South Pasadenan: https://southpasadenan.com/local-music- ... nd-family/
Last edited by Rick Hayes on 23 Apr 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk Eipper

Tim Fleming

Post by Kirk Eipper »

I’m so sad to hear this. I recently sold Tim an Emmons P/P and I know he was enjoying it the last time we spoke.
RIP Tim
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Bobby Lenamon

Tim Fleming

Post by Bobby Lenamon »

Sorry hear about Tim's passing. I got to know him back in July when he purchased a Dekley steel from me. He was very nice and friendly. Prayers for him and his family.RIP TIM
MCI D10,Evans amps,Fender Twin,Sessions 500,Peavey amps, Fender guitars,Gibson guitars,G & L guitars,Taylor/Takamine/Gibson acoustics,Vintage guitars,DD 3,Boss pedals, Pro Fex,Shure/Carvin Sound Equipment
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

I built Tim a Justice Pro Lite back in June 2018, Tim loved that little guitar and was so proud of it.

Rest in peace Brother Tim.

Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Rick Hayes

Tim Fleming

Post by Rick Hayes »

Bobby & Kirk: That's so funny - I had been (repeatedly) browsing that same nice little Dekley you sold to Tim last Summer, but didn't have the cash-in-hand to throw at it, and when Tim made inquiries, and then later when it was sold, I thought, "Oh, good. If there's anyone I'd want to have it, it would be Tim, because he'll make good use of it."

Later on, probably in the Fall, I'd asked Brad if Tim had pulled the trigger and bought the Dekley, and Brad said "No, he got an Emmons - he's so excited!" Then Brad kind of rolled his eyes and deadpanned: "Tim loves his toys, you know." (As do we all....)

So I'm tickled to find out that Tim did get to enjoy the Dekley, after all.
Cara Batema

Post by Cara Batema »

I was thinking a lot about Tim this week and thought I might do a search on this forum to see if anyone here knew him.

That Dekley is actually a guitar Tim bought for me, as he promised he would find me a good instrument so I could learn pedal steel. So thank you, Bobby, for this beautiful instrument, and thanks Rick for not buying it first ;)

With the loss of a good friend and who would've taught me to play the instrument, I've been learning very slowly. I started a 100 consecutive days of practice challenge this year with a group of friends though and have been playing every day.
Rick Hayes

Post by Rick Hayes »

Cara - I'm so glad it went to someone who will enjoy it and is making good use of it!

Keep up with the daily practice. That's absolutely the key.