Lapsteel Fretboard

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Paul Smith

Lapsteel Fretboard

Post by Paul Smith »

Hello Everyone,

I have a custom lapsteel, and need a new fretboard and am looking for recomendations.

The reason why I need a new fretboard is that the existing fretboard is made of Birdseye maple, and it reflects too much light to the point of sometimes not being able to see the strings, this can happen at gigs under stage lighting, or outside in the sun. The color black however absorbs light and I can see the strings much clearer.

Does anyone know of a solution to get a black fretboard overlay of some type? Here are my options I was thinking.

1. a custom aluminum or vinyl over lay that I could lay over the existing board.

2. have a custom made out of ebony, and remove the current fret board, and replace it, however this would probably be expensive.

3. Some type of decal fretboard that could layover the top of the existing.

This is a 22.5" scale fretboard with a unique shape, so it would be a custom job.

This guitar is a custom build by our loving friend Tom Pettinigil who we lost several years ago.

If anyone has any information or contacts for me in this regard i would be much grateful
David Venzke

Post by David Venzke »

The quickest and easiest solution for a fretboard overlay would be to contact Georgeboards. Order a 22.5 scale vinyl self-stick fretboard of the appropriate width, then stick it on and trim to fit the contour of yours.

www.georgeboards.com
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Thanks David,

that is exactly what I was hoping to be able to do.

much appreciated,

Smitty
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Yes,George Boards is a good guy!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.