Steel Guitar Fads

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Jeff Garden wrote:Diamond horseshoe pinky rings.
Careful now. Careful.

That kind of talk can get you in trouble.

8)
GaryL

Steel Guitar Fads

Post by GaryL »

Skinny cords: About this one, I had a long talk with a well-known head tech man from a major amp manufacturer. His opinion that the "thin chord mania" was BS, period.
Tilting the guitar back: Emmons supposedly played a borrowed guitar that was too tall, so he tilted the guitar back towards him by lowering the back legs. (Must have been one tall steel!) Since Emmons did it, nearly everyone tried it. Seems like I couldn't enter a club where the steel wasn't tilted back.
Too much delay and chorus: Enough said!
Stereo amp systems: Nice for steel jams, but almost totally lost on the average listening audience.

Great thread!
[/quote]
Emmons LeGrande D-10
GFI Ultra D-10 keyless
Quilter SteelAire
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Ebow as much as I like it done with taste, was kind of a fad maybe
I’ve never used one. But I think they are cool.

Goodrich match bro. I had one and used it but gave it up as I didn’t think it sounded all that great to me.

Neon strip lights under the steel (I’m guilty) I tried it.

Personalized equipment signage. I never did it but saw many with multiple versions.

Other icons, logos, badges or other symbols and the like stuck on front apron. Sometimes is kinda cool. But not for me really. Once I had a friend wanted me to put a Fraternity logo on my guitar. I declined even though I supported them.

I guess those things were fads maybe

Bill
Thomas Sabatini

Post by Thomas Sabatini »

Fred Treece wrote:If all these “fads” could be thrown together in a single night of playing, you would have a very interesting gig indeed.
This is how I see it. More sounds are better than fewer, but musicality and taste is what's important.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I said you’d have an interesting gig. Maybe even interesting enough to get your butt thrown out of the band.

I happen to think that for 90% of the time, the only effect a pedal steel needs is a good player sitting at it. But certain types of playing can evolve around an altered tone, and that can turn what may have seemed like a fad into a tradition. The organ effect is a good example.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Nobody mentioned MIDI Steel yet?
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

For something to qualify as a fad, it has to last for more than 5 minutes.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

I agree with the phaser/chorus thing. My favorite singer is Emmylou, but it gets painful to hear her guitar player with that phaser going on every single solo, while the steel gets buried.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Status symbol guitars and equipment. The idea that someone is less of a player if they don’t play brand x guitar, brand y amp, or brand z effects. Don’t know if it’s a fad but it is quite irritating. The blade will not make you the next Big E.....
D.S. Rigsby
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Dustin Rigsby wrote:Status symbol guitars and equipment. The idea that someone is less of a player if they don’t play brand x guitar, brand y amp, or brand z effects. Don’t know if it’s a fad but it is quite irritating. The blade will not make you the next Big E.....
Yeah, I think "having or doing the latest and greatest this and that" is the precise definition of a fad here and in many other contexts as well. It changes yearly, sometimes even monthly. For a while, such and such is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and then it becomes passé. Guitars, amps, pedals, cables, stylistic things, you name it.

All the better, as far as I'm concerned, because it becomes possible to scoop up bargains once the luster is off last month's "Flavor of the Month". And some of these fads are the real deal, and wind up becoming classics.
Rene Brosseau

ZT lunchbox amp

Post by Rene Brosseau »

lunchbox amps...around 2009 I think Tried 1...sounded like crap! http://www.barryrudolph.com/newtoys/toy ... chbox.html
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

I wish vintage deluxe reverbs would stop being a fad .... I’m priced out of the market
D.S. Rigsby
b0b

Post by b0b »

I used to think that "that sound" was a fad, but it still seems to be popular. Seems that everyone's trying to get it.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

b0b wrote:I used to think that "that sound" was a fad, but it still seems to be popular. Seems that everyone's trying to get it.
:lol:
D.S. Rigsby
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

How about the velvet Crown Royal bags that players used to hang off the keyheads? :lol:
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Donny Hinson wrote:How about the velvet Crown Royal bags that players used to hang off the keyheads? :lol:
Got one,stored away someplace. Haven't seen it in awhile!
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Donny Hinson wrote:How about the velvet Crown Royal bags that players used to hang off the keyheads? :lol:
I thought those were to hold “smoking supplies” :lol:
D.S. Rigsby
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I've still got an old one in my old ACE seat. I carry all kinds of small gadgets in it.

I never hung it from my guitar, though.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I don't hang anything off my keyhead. But I have always used, and still use Crown Royal bags to store various things in my gig bag, including my Sarno Freeloader. Keeps things from getting scratched up. And hey - I drink the stuff. :)
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

This sittin' down thing... I'm sure we'll be go back to standing and playing like a man pretty soon.

Joe
b0b

Post by b0b »

Joe Goldmark wrote:This sittin' down thing... I'm sure we'll be go back to standing and playing like a man pretty soon.

Joe
I laughed out loud. :lol: :lol:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Paul Strojan

Post by Paul Strojan »

The idea that pedal steel guitar is a hick instrument and needs to be "re-thought."
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Dustin Rigsby wrote:Status symbol guitars and equipment. The idea that someone is less of a player if they don’t play brand x guitar, brand y amp, or brand z effects. Don’t know if it’s a fad but it is quite irritating. The blade will not make you the next Big E.....
Paid off for me, I scooped a 3 month old MSA D12 for $350.00 because dude was on a quest for the next best thing, needed to move it.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Curt Trisko

Post by Curt Trisko »

Paul Strojan wrote:The idea that pedal steel guitar is a hick instrument and needs to be "re-thought."
I agree. My experience is that it is a nerd instrument. :P
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Listing every single piece of gear you own (ad nauseum) in the SGF profile signature
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89