Name this tuning

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert Rizley

Name this tuning

Post by Robert Rizley »

I play by ear and While experimenting I found this tuning and since I have no formal music training I would like to know what to call it.
F# A# C# F G# A# C# F
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

F# A# C# F G# A# C# F
I assume this reads low-to-high. If C# is the root, C#6 with 4 on the bottom, which is the way a lot of C6 tunings do it. If F# is the root, then F#maj9.

Why not just set it up as a normal C6, i.e., F A C E G A C E ? That way, you would be on the same page as a large chunk of other steel players, have learning materials available, etc.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Robert, guys like you and me ("ear players" who are short on music theory) don't have to come up with our own tunings because people with lots more background in music and playing have already done that for us. Sure, it's neat to experiment, but first...go over what everyone else has done. ;-)

Here's a little link that might help. It gives some background on each tuning, and what music it's useful in:

https://people.well.com/user/wellvis/tuning.html

`
Robert Rizley

Post by Robert Rizley »

I have several lapsteels set to all different tunings and I have brads page and Ely's page my main triple I built is A6 C6 and G major I tune my c6 up and down all the time to e13 and I tried this to get some higher pitches for g major I was just curios on what to call it. I have 5 6 string lap steels and my triple --all 8 strings
b0b

Post by b0b »

For simplicity, I would raise or lower that tuning by a half step (1 fret). C6th with a low F string is a standard. D6th with a low G is my personal preference. Both of these put your bar at the fret markers in the most common keys. C#6th with a low F#? Not so friendly.

I'm sure it sounds good anyway. :mrgreen:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Robert Rizley

Post by Robert Rizley »

i play with a capo on fret 6 with this tuning. with the songs I play I have this tuning an E6 and a g major sometimes after break ill retune to either A6 or Am and C6
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

F#maj9
I agree with Dave M. It could also be called Gbmaj9 if you renamed the notes. Maybe easier to understand Gb for people accustomed to playing in a G tuning.