Dobro- Rob Ickes teaches Hank Williams style on YouTube

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

Dobro- Rob Ickes teaches Hank Williams style on YouTube

Post by Doug Beaumier »

One of my students brought this to my attention today. "Hey, Good Lookin'" on dobro, Hank Williams/Don Helms style. Good, clear instruction, lots of slants, vibrato. Perfect for those of us who are holed up at home during this difficult time.

---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpXEo8F6FM0
Ralph Czitrom

Post by Ralph Czitrom »

Thanks for posting that, Doug. I recently tuned one of my lap steels to GBDGBD, and having fun with it.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I’m on Rob’s email list so I received this yesterday.

An excellent lesson in how to make Don Helms’ playing on the song work on a GBDGBD tuned dobro (or lap steel).

But you have to subscribe to Rob’s new learning website to get the the whole thing.
Mark
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

I watched that yesterday too. It’s excellent and Rob is a great teacher. For those here that may not know, Rob has been awarded the IBMA dobro player of the year FIFTEEN TIMES!! When Rob talks, people listen. Including me. The first thing I noticed was when he dismissed playing it in the high register like Don Helms...but I think that is killer! He casually ripped through it and it was a little pitchy but next time I have the dobro on my lap I’m going to work on that.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Greg - you should show a photo of the extended fretboard on your Scheerhorn. Though even with that board the real estate between frets above #19 gets really tight.

Along with his comment that it sounds "thin" Rob had to drop that down because if he played those parts in the same octave as Don Helms it would be up there in no man's land beyond the end of the typical fretboard. Rob's average student is going to have a difficult time with that.

But I will say I might prefer it in the higher octave if one can pull it off in G tuning.
Mark
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

Mark Eaton wrote:Greg - you should show a photo of the extended fretboard on your Scheerhorn. Though even with that board the real estate between frets above #19 gets really tight..

You can see it here, https://youtu.be/JK0FjGgp--M 🙂Easier than uploading a photo right now. :) :)
Mike Harris

Hey Good-Lookin'

Post by Mike Harris »

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I think he's got an interval wrong on the intro. Where the word "something" would be sung, the original is harmonizing at the 6th below, not the third. If you want to be 100% accurate you will want to change that. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

I think you're right Mike. Here's what I get...https://youtu.be/XUFJzGpaDGQ

Mike Harris

Hey Good-Lookin'

Post by Mike Harris »

Spot-on, Greg! Thanks for indulging the perfectionist. I hope my comment did not offend in any way.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Sounds good, Greg. You're really up in the stratosphere on those upper frets!
Eric Sprado

Post by Eric Sprado »

Little different slants there Greg. Are you in GBDGBD?If so I have some neat new slants to learn.
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

Eric Sprado wrote:Little different slants there Greg. Are you in GBDGBD?If so I have some neat new slants to learn.
Yes, regular G tuning.
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Good stuff all. I feel like I’m on the right track after seeing Rob’s dusty fretboard... looks like mine! :P
Lonnie Wells

Post by Lonnie Wells »

thanks for posting the intro Doug. I love those old Hank Williams songs and steel parts. I also been working on my dobro a lot more now that I'm stuck in the house!