SHO-BUD B pedal not raising 3rd string

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James McCann

SHO-BUD B pedal not raising 3rd string

Post by James McCann »

I was playing last night and my third string popped. I thought, no big deal just change a string. I replaced the new string with the same gauge (.10) but when I engaged the B pedal, the roller or changer wasnt pulling back. My guess is that I lost a spring or something on the bottom row. The 3rd string spring is the one in the picture that looks like its being lowered more than all the others.. Any thoughts?
Thanks for the help!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

look at the changer end, did the 3rd string raise slot on the finger get hooked on the changer casting and is stuck ? Its got nothing to do with springs.

This would not be the 1st time this happened.
Last edited by Tony Prior on 29 Feb 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Mark Draycott

Post by Mark Draycott »

Maybe the ball end of the broken string fell down and is holding the finger? I've had that happen with my ShoBud
1976 Sho-Bud Pro II, 1976 Sho-Bud LDG, BF Fender Deluxe, Evans FET 500 LV, BF Princeton Reverb, '68 Vibrolux Reverb
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

I had a problem with my Bud pro I 3rd string not raising, and when I got it to raise it would not return to pitch. I tore down the changer and found The rivets on several of the fingers were worn to the point that they were binding, so I replaced the fingers.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Something doesn't look right. It looks like the finger has broke lose from the changer. Can you move the finger by hand. Maybe take some pliers and see if it moves freely. That would tell you a lot. If you look at the changers beside it you can see it is back from the others and the spring has the finger pulled all the in. That tells me some is separated. Could be wrong.

Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Remove the spring from the 3rd string finger, can you pull it forward to line up with each of the other fingers ? IF so, the raise portion of the finger is jammed at the changer casting. This is not overly common but yet not uncommon either.

I am currently restoring a 45 year old Pro II, 2 up 1 down changer, the 3rd string finger exhibited a very similar thing, hung up on the changer casting.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
James McCann

Post by James McCann »

Thanks so much for all the ideas and help!! This was my first post and feel so welcomed and helped! So I had a gig and came up with a temporary fix by running a paperclip through the nylon hex holes to prevent that finger from pushing forward. Now that there is tension due to the paper clip holding the back from caving in, the B pedal pulls the 3rd now, though it is not smooth at it was.
The helper spring for it under neath is super loose. I will try to permanently fix that finger later and prevent it from being pushed forward.
Thanks everybody!