What to buy to buy Mullen G2 , MSA Legend

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pierre Belliveau

What to buy to buy Mullen G2 , MSA Legend

Post by Pierre Belliveau »

hi , iv’e decided to buy a brand new steel and i’m gonna be ordering it next week . Iv’e only ever played a Carter D-10 .. So far i’m looking and reading about the Mullen G2 , MSA Legend XL or maybe a Show Pro .. i want lots of sustain and warm mids .. and recommendations? would MSA wood neck be warmer tone then Mullen .. just looking for opnions on either guitars .. thank you
Mullen G2 , D-10 , Webb 614-e , Hilton Pedal
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

I ordered a new Mullen ..lacquer with a wood neck... on 11/26/18 and received it on 2/19/19. I can't say enough good things about the company, service and the guitar! All fabulous!!
I'm sure MSA makes a great guitar as well, but a friend of mine ordered one about 18 months ago and is still waiting.. so check lead times when you decide..
There's been a lot of discussion about wood vs metal necks over the years. I have both, and as you might imagine, they all sound different and they all sound great! I love the look of a wood neck on a lacquer guitar, and since this was my first and probably only NEW guitar, I went for it and I couldn't be happier with the result!
Good luck, and I'm sure you'd be happy with either one!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Hey Pierre. It's difficult to know what another person's definition of warm mids means to them. Same for overall tone and playability.

Brand wise, I cannot compare as I've only limited experience with the new MSA.

I suppose MSA owners are likely going to nudge you their way while Mullen G2 players will recommend them.

I don't think there's really a way for you to know what's best for you without sitting both of them. If there is any way you can attend a convention such as Dallas or Phoenix where both brands are on display and can be evaluated by you in person, that's my recommendation.

I can say that in 40 years and over a dozen different guitars that I've never owned or played any guitars that have a richer, fuller sound than Mullen guitars with the stock single coil pickups. It's difficult to put into words how powerful and responsive these guitars really are.

I don't know if MSA offers wood necks, but I do know that Mullen does. [Edit: I see the MSA Legend XL model is wood necks.] I would defer to both manufacturers for a description of the tonal differences between wood and metal necks.

Good luck. I think you would be happy with either of these quality guitars. It's impossible for me to say, which one will suit your needs best.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 26 Dec 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leo Grassl

Post by Leo Grassl »

Since this will be a big investment in your time and money your best bet is to take your time and try a few things out in person if possible. Many people love what they have and are quick to reccomend but their ears are no substitution for yours.

Also if your happy with the sound of your carter I would keep it at least until you have your new guitar to compare it to. There's nothing worse (in my own experience) than buying a new guitar and selling one that was actually something I preferred before I got the new one. You don't know what you got till its gone I suppose.
Pierre Belliveau

i agree, everybody has different ears .. my problem in canada is there is no place or steel guitar convention where i can see or try different guitars .. thank you everyone
Pierre Belliveau

One day i would love to go to a steel convention
Andy DePaule

Best action ever

Post by Andy DePaule »

I got a G5, SD-10 with 5&5 a couple of years ago.
Very easy light touch pedal and knee action. Best I ever played.
Also very good placement of the knees to the pedal relationship.
Those new MSA's look terrific too, but I've never sat at one so can't compare.
Good luck. :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Bill Lowe

Mullen

Post by Bill Lowe »

Give Mike Mantey a call at Mullen. I'm sure he would talk with you and build whatever you want.
Cant go wrong with a Mullen.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

You could watch Al Brisco's inventory, see if anything especially interesting for the looong drive that would be

http://www.steelguitarscanada.com/onlin ... -in-stock/
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Don’t for get the Rittenbery Prestige steels built by Gary Rittenbery in Cookville Tn.
I have owned two sd 10 Rittenbery prestige steels just really nice pedal steels.
Last edited by Johnie King on 27 Dec 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

As johnie states I would have to consider the Rittenberry as well.

But directly between msa vs others I think I would be looking at the fact that the new msa is a truly feature rich instrument. That’s not saying anything against Mullen or any others. They are all fine instruments.

For my money, at this point in time, I would and am specifically leaning toward msa. Some of this maybe for me because I live near Dallas, I was taught my first lessons by Reece and have always had a bit of loyalty in my heart for msa. When Reece And Kyle started building again I wanted one really bad.

Now days that most high end pedal steels are commanding from $5k up,? When I think about that much money for a new guitar, I’m going to want the best bang for the buck.

To me, the features and craftsmanship of all the builders are just phenomenal. Personally I think msa is just the most fantastic looking modern guitar I’ve ever seen. Add to that level of options and features that come stock on it, and for me the location of the factory and the endorsements of guys like jr knight, David Wright, Mitchell smithey, Mickey Adams among many others, that’s some Giants in the business playing msa. Admittedly David and jr both were very close to Reece, but many of us around Dallas were close to Reece. So one cannot deny that personal feelings toward Reece and how much he influenced us all around Dallas area is too a factor. Putting those things aside though, the msa is still a top shelf item. I guess it’s like “thinking about buying a rolls Royce or a Bentley” kind of...

All that said, I’m certain in my mind, if I decide to pull the trigger on a new guitar, fairly sure it will be a once in a lifetime custom made msa.

I’m certainly not the best player, I would say, I’m an average commercial player and have owned and worked on the bandstand over 25 years with a lot of different brands of guitars, including Mullen, Emmons, Carter, msa, mci, emci, dekley, gfi, shobud, zum all of which had things I liked and things I disliked.

My opinion fwiw, going forward with all that experience, considering NEW guitars, my money would be on MSA.

Bill
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

All the guitars mentioned and then some are all quality instruments, I wrestled with this very same question a year ago..MSA Legend XL with wood necks and 705 pickups was my choice. Good luck in whichever guitar you choose, the tone is in your hands but the mechanics and playability is in the machining!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
George Crickmore

Post by George Crickmore »

I have played a Mullen G2. Have not played one if the new MSA legend XL steels. However the one MSA legend XL I heard in person sounded fantastic. The Mullen G2 is a great steel. The G2 is a damn good steel but the new MSA's are on another level when it comes to the Machining and finish. Being able to swap pickups in the MSA is great too. That being said I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I know the wait time for a MSA D-10 is 12 months right now. So that may be a factor for you.
Excel S-10,2 Williams 700 Universals,Jackson Blackjack Custom,, Goodrich LDR2 & Hilton Vol pedals,Monster 3500pro power conditioner, Morgan SW100 amp & Cab
Keith Bolog

choices choices

Post by Keith Bolog »

The new Sierra is innovative in so many ways, yet classic. They dont go around boasting/marketing much since its a bit of a hobby business for the owners of the company. For instance, New changer design and the legs sockets are tapered so when they screw in, they are IN, rather than ON.

MSA, if its only a choice of two - not to take anything away from the others. They have been consistently excellent throughout the years and Ive never played a 'dog' MSA. You can still buy a 40 year old MSA and it plays as perfectly and sounds as sweet as if it was new. The brand new models have some cool innovations and they are a bit lighter than the old days.
Say what you mean. Mean what you say.
Wayne Baker

Show Pro

Post by Wayne Baker »

Thanks,

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...
Ron Shalita

Post by Ron Shalita »

I never played a Mullen, but was bout to order one, when an MSA came up on the forum .. that is really what I wanted, and I am so glad I waited and checked this forum everyday.. I would have bought a new one BUT just was not willing to wait 2 years, I know someone up there said one year, but they are wrong, call and ask for yourself.. anyway my wait came to about 5 months and I got a beautiful 2018 MSA .. and I have to say I haven’t had a better guitar!
Been playing all of my life, Lead Guitar, and Pedal Steel, sing Lead and Harmony.. play other Instruments also but I hate to admit to it..
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

The new MSA's have a lot of really unique and cool features.
I just bought another one a few days ago after looking at all the available guitar choices.

Here's a link to my previous MSA Legend with a lot of the features described in detail:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Msa/msa.html
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

When I recently tried out a Mullen it played very well - comparable feel on the pedals and knees as my Zum. I wasn't playing through my normal rig to comment on how it compared tone-wise to the Zum.
Last edited by Joe Alterio on 18 Feb 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Lester

what to buy

Post by Richard Lester »

I just got my new Rittenberry. I have over 40 yrs exp.playing many of the brands listed here and all I can say , this new Rittenberry has no "Cabinet Drop", absolutely none. Both my Zum and GFI are excellent guitars, too, of course, Bruce doesn't build his Zums anymore
Zum D-10, GFI S10 keyless ultra, 2020 Flight Ready SD-10 Rittenberry, Quilter Steelaire, Telonics vol. pedal
Richard Alderson

For Greg Cutshaw

Post by Richard Alderson »

For Greg Cutshaw - What is going to happen to the Excel guitar now that you've gotten the MSA? Just curious......
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Richard, the Excel will pry be sold after a few weeks! Not sure why but whenever I've owned two guitars, one always sits unused. The Excel would be a bit harder to let go because it's so perfect for a small studio and now with the Franklin pedal on it the D-10 has few advantages.
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

Dave Meis wrote:I ordered a new Mullen ..lacquer with a wood neck... on 11/26/18 and received it on 2/19/19. I can't say enough good things about the company, service and the guitar! All fabulous!!
I'm sure MSA makes a great guitar as well, but a friend of mine ordered one about 18 months ago and is still waiting.. so check lead times when you decide..
Great point. When I decided to buy new a couple years ago I'd narrowed it down to MSA or Mullen. When I learned the MSA lead time I knew there was NO WAY I could be that patient no matter how great an instrument it was so that took them out of the running. I called Mike at Mullen and went with a 12 string G2 and have never regretted my choice for a second.

I know everyone in this thread is likely to push whatever make/model they play and I'm no different, but I can objectively report my Mullen G2 checks all the boxes I care about. It's rock solid staying in tune for months at a time, is super easy to work on (changing copedents, adjusting the tension of the pedals/knees, etc), sounds great & plays very smooth!
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

I have a like new MSA legend D10 with 9&5. I’m about to list it for sale.

I’ve owned a G2 as well. It’s a fine guitar as well.
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

I have a like new MSA legend D10 with 9&5. I’m about to list it for sale.

I’ve owned a G2 as well. It’s a fine guitar as well.