history of Webb amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Wade

history of Webb amps

Post by Paul Wade »

anyone know the history of webb amps. i know they made
steel amps but ,also Bass amps?? would like onfo on them when did they start ECT....

P.W
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I know that around 1978, they asked me to be a dealer from my home in the Atlanta area and they gave me 2 Webb amps and Slave cabinets.

I sold probably 15 or so the first couple of years.

Of course, dealer cost at that time was only $400 and I sold them for $600. Lots of money then.

Yes I believe they also made a bass amp.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I got my Webb 614-E head around 1975 - 1976. But when I was a drummer, before 1971 when I switched to steel, a bass player I played with had a Webb bass guitar amp. I don't know any particulars on his amp.

If you are on Facebook, there is a Webb Amplifiers group page. Mostly about the 614 series, but there are pictures and posts about their bass amps
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Webb amps home page on FaceBook:

https://www.facebook.com/webbamps/photo ... =3&theater

From that FB page (there's a ton more info there!):

"Webb Amplifiers I know about it. In the 70s Jim Webb owned Webbs Music Store and in the rooms in the back of the store he manufactured speaker enclosures of all sizes. His dream was to make an amp for his speakers. Not knowing electronics he had no way of doing that. Eventually he heard about Jerry Pinkel, a guy in San Francisco, who attempted to build amps, without sucess. Pinkel had played guitar with Jonnie & The Hurricanes at one time. Jerry Pinkle convinced Jim Webb that he had an amp design and parts to build some. They developed a partnership where Jim Webb bought Jerry Pinkle out. Jerry Pinkle was supposed build a few amps & they would start an amp company. Jerry Pinkle came to the music store with a van full of parts and an amp head that did not work. This would be the amp design for Jim Webb. He assured Jim Webb that he could get it working soon. He began working on the amp. After a couple of weeks with no success, Jim Webb got concerned, so he spied on him and discovered that all he was doing was practicing his guitar and not doing anything with the amp all of this time. So Jerry & Jim had a huge disagreement and Jim dissolved their partnership. Jerry Pinkle moved out of state and Jim Webb was stuck with a room full of electronic parts and amps with Pinkles name on it that didn't work. After about a month, Jim Webb and John Campbell came out to the Western Way, (a club that I played lead guitar in) and they asked me to take a look at the amp. At the time I was still in the Airforce (but soon to get discharged). I checked out the amp and gave Jim Webb my report. I found that the amp had a circuit board that had just a few parts that weren't hooked to anything that even resembled an amp design, A power switch on the back and a couple of jacks with nowhere to be hooked to. In otherwords, Jim Webb got scammed. About a month after I got discharged from the Airforce, Jim Webb returned to the club I was playing and began talking to me about amp design. Eventually, he convinced me to move to Antioch and go to work for him designing a guitar amp. After about 7 months, I finished a prototype. Another month went by, before we began building the first ones. Model 645RFD, A standard guitar amp, RFD stands for Reverb, Fuzz & Distortion. A total of about 25 were built. Jim Webb & John then decided they wanted a specialized amp model, one with steel guitar in mind. Thus, the Webb Steel Guitar Amp was born. It took me (George Moore) almost a year to design that one. We then began manufacturing the steel guitar amp, and it became our main model. Through the history of Webb Amps, about 3000 steel guitar amps were built. YouTube has at least 2 video demonstrations of Webb Amps."
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

This is one of my pictures from an Atlanta show and Buddy was playing through my session 500 and my Webb amp at the same time. I have a video of this on my YouTube channel
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

By the time they made it up to Canada and went thru the dealer and distributor the Webb amps were retailing around $1600. Canadian.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Just the facts, ma'am.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Bill,
Can you point us to the video of Buddy playing the Webb?

Thanks!
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

Jack Stanton wrote:Bill,
Can you point us to the video of Buddy playing the Webb?

Thanks!
yes please do bill. and thank you for all the vid's
and info on the webb amps...

p.w
Paul Wade

history of Webb amps

Post by Paul Wade »

wow thank you everybody for the history on webb amps
keep it coming

p.w
Hal Stackhouse

Webb Amps

Post by Hal Stackhouse »

Contact Tom Bradshaw at songwriter.com/bradshaw . He bought Webb Amps rights when original mfg passed away. Far as I know he still makes them.

Hal
Richard Sinkler

Re: Webb Amps

Hal Stackhouse wrote:Contact Tom Bradshaw at songwriter.com/bradshaw . He bought Webb Amps rights when original mfg passed away. Far as I know he still makes them.

Hal
Unless he started up again, he stopped making them several years ago.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Hal Stackhouse

Webb Amps

Post by Hal Stackhouse »

Still on his Web site
Hal
Richard Sinkler

Last time I talked to Tom, he was not building them any more.

And it say on his website that production has been suspended until further notice. That message has been there for years now.
Paul Wade

history of Webb amps

Post by Paul Wade »

TTT
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Well it seems that my video has been removed.
I don't remember being notified about this.

I will dig back and see if I still have it somewhere, but can't be sure.
In 2016, my main computer and backup drive both crashed at the same time and I lost a bunch.

But I will look.