The quick engage/disengage pull on Buddy`s Zum?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Yes Jerry, with two separate latch blocks you could absolutely do two separate functions.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Someone posted a video of Buddy using that dialed out A pedal change on string 10 of his D10 Zum at a steel show. Anyone link to me that video? Thanks. Hook Moore, you got it?
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I can never find that 'Shenandoah' he played at that steel show when I want to. I almost feel it should be a 'sticky' here on the Forum - it's beautiful.

I assume that's the one you're referring to, John?
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I was mulling over the "Shenadoah change" and it dawned on me that on my extended E9 I can easily get that change by raising string 11 G#>B, and I'd put that on pedal 8 or 7 on my Ritt. That leaves the low B note in my tuning when pedal A and B are engaged. Viola!
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Sounds like a good plan. It’s a beautiful change.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

listening to Buddy and what he created on this tune , Shenandoah, is just pure magic. We may try to emulate it but I doubt anyone can . His brain and musical creativity is moving a couple hundred miles/hr. Sure we can add some of those changes, but probably not the execution.

Buddy, one of a kind. Sure glad I was able to see him perform .

I don't recall if it was this year ( video) or a following year, but something was up with the dual lever function thing , Bruce took it into his display room and was doing something to it. Or at least thats what was assumed.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Tony Prior wrote:listening to Buddy and what he created on this tune , Shenandoah, is just pure magic. We may try to emulate it but I doubt anyone can . His brain and musical creativity is moving a couple hundred miles/hr. Sure we can add some of those changes, but probably not the execution.

Buddy, one of a kind. Sure glad I was able to see him perform .
Buddy is the best example I can cite to my students of how the way a player engages every part of his steel can be so unique that his playing is unmistakable and like no one else's. Thank heavens he left behind so much incredible recorded audio, video and even instructional material!

Buddy was a unique blend of touch, tone and musical mastery, and all played so lyrically, softspoken tones sometimes, hard driving bop line at others. He played to the song.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

This would have been 2007 Tony. That was his last trip to the St. Louis show.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I haven't sat down to all of it, but, so far, most of those lower changes are capable on a U-12 along with a knee lever that lowers the 6th & 10th strings from G# to F#. Another change incorporated that is standard on U-12 is 9th string B to D... if playing AB down and using the knee to raise the 9th from C# to D (low suspended 4th). The fret positions are different from Buddy's, but the same chords and low notes moving. When I get time, I'll dive into it.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.