Buddy Cage has passed.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

William Davis

Post by William Davis »

I met him once in Greensboro, and he was kind enough to take the time and explain his rig – with dual Twins. What a sound! He was such a huge influence and got so many us started. I’ve always loved Buddy’s biting, gritty, retro, palm-blocked “bouncing, bubbly” steel, as Winnie Winston called it. To this day whenever I need a pick me up, the NRPS Home on the Road album never fails to make me smile.
RIP, Buddy
Steven Cummings

Post by Steven Cummings »

RIP. He was a big influence on me and countless others. Glad I got to see him.
Lookin' on the sunny side....
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Man, I just recently got a live NRPS vinyl album (a NYE concert, 6 sides!). First time I intentionally bought an album because I saw "Buddy Cage, steel guitar." I'll be spinning that after work.

Any recommendations for "essential Buddy Cage"? I'd love to hear them.
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

New Riders of the Purple Sage: PANAMA RED.
Killer steel throughout.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Chris Walke wrote:Man, I just recently got a live NRPS vinyl album (a NYE concert, 6 sides!). First time I intentionally bought an album because I saw "Buddy Cage, steel guitar." I'll be spinning that after work.

Any recommendations for "essential Buddy Cage"? I'd love to hear them.
Home Home on the Road,, NRPS.. Live album, with Buddy at his very best..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZkQrf3-jt0

bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Guys.. please go here to this little song on YT, reflect a bit if any of Buddy's style rubbed off on you as it did me, - its a great listen to some of buddy's terrific tone and "happy"style, and lots of pics of him from the early days, into more recent times.. please enjoy. Not well known, but this band really let Buddy do his thing.. bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u2H1oTU8OM

Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

Second that on HOME, HOME ON THE ROAD.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

yeah, Home Home on the Road is the one. Buddy told me that the version of She's No Angel on that album is the best he ever played it. And that overall while they were recording it he just couldn't do anything wrong on a bunch of those nights.
2 Fulawka D-10's 9&5
Sho-Bud Pro 2 8&5

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)
Sandra Scott-Wall

Post by Sandra Scott-Wall »

We first met Buddy Cage back in the early 70s when the Grateful Dead and the New Riders of the Purple Sage came to St. Louis and Jerry Garcia contacted Scotty about a steel guitar. They would pull up in front of the store in their tour bus and both bands would pile out and mingle around the store. Pretty soon word would get out and local musicians would show up. It was a magical time and we got to know all of them pretty good. After their show Scotty would go pick up anybody who wanted to come and bring them back to the store and we would party late into the night. We got to know Buddy pretty well during that time. When the NRPS were booked on the ISGC not everybody liked their music but they were so friendly that you couldn't help but like them personally. Especially Buddy.

RIP Buddy. I shall always remember the wild and zany times we had.
Al Brisco

Buddy Cage

Post by Al Brisco »

Buddy & I go back to the mid 1960's, when we were budding pedal steelers in the Toronto area.

Buddy was a bit more worldly than me (with me being a country farm boy from The Ottawa Valley). i.e. When he was playing with Mickey McGivern & The Mustangs as the house band at The Edison Hotel in Toronto, he grew a 1/2" extension on the pinky finger of his left hand. I never did ask him about it, assuming that perhaps he used it as a 'special tool' to play harmonics, etc.?

Just one of my many Buddy Cage (Gary Saul) stories.
RIP Buddy
Al Brisco
Steel Guitars of Canada
Al Brisco
http://www.steelguitarcanada.com
Serving Steelers with Experience, Expertise, & Selection Since 1979
Ray Rasmussen

Post by Ray Rasmussen »

I haven't posted on this forum for years, but I feel compelled to do so because of Buddy's passing. I went to a lot of NRPS shows as a teen in the early '70s in San Francisco, and I have to point to Buddy Cage as probably the major influence for me to buy a pedal steel guitar and try to learn how to play it.

He may be gone, but for me, he will never be forgotten. Thanks for all the great music Buddy.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Bob Carlucci wrote:Guys.. please go here to this little song on YT, reflect a bit if any of Buddy's style rubbed off on you as it did me, - its a great listen to some of buddy's terrific tone and "happy"style, and lots of pics of him from the early days, into more recent times.. please enjoy. Not well known, but this band really let Buddy do his thing.. bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u2H1oTU8OM
Hey Bob that is some classic Buddy Cage pickin!
Ya think his style rubbed off on me?!... :)
Here is a take on "She's No Angel".
RIP Buddy C!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkrRxv6 ... e=youtu.be
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

just saw this for the first time, Buddy playing Rose City Chimes with NRPS. I don't think I'd seen him play any C6 before this. the band seems a little lost but Buddy just plows on through... you can really hear the Charleton influence on this one

https://youtu.be/2N4TwmzwS-k
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

R.I.P. Buddy. :(

Buddy diggin' on Charleton on this cover of the Ernest Tubb tune, "Be Better to Your Baby", by Shorty Masters. A little note: Leon Rhodes' pickin' is covered by Mickey McGivern. Cage was a member of Mickey McGivern's band, The Mustangs out of Toronto. I'm guessing Buddy Cage was in his early 20's when this was recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJrhFdTZ0-s

Here's Tubb's original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLztDeRjL00

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

RIP Buddy. He certainly was played a lot on my turntable!
Buddy diggin' on Charleton on this cover of the Ernest Tubb tune, "Be Better to Your Baby", by Shorty Masters. A little note: Leon Rhodes' pickin' is covered by Mickey McGivern. Cage was a member of Mickey McGivern's band, The Mustangs out of Toronto. I'm guessing Buddy Cage was in his early 20's when this was recorded:
Can anyone point me to more info on the Shorty Masters album please? That’s some amazing vintage Buddy Cage. Can’t seem to find much info on it on the internet.

Thanks
Dz
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

True Story 1973 Charleston, SC .. Buddy and band walked into the bar where I was playing my very 1st Gig. Of course I sucked..On break I went up to him and said something like I'm sorry. He was as kind as he could be and very encouraging. He has remained an idol and an inspiration.
RIP Buddy
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I found these. For those who never met Buddy and who'd like to get a feel for Buddy's personality these are worth a look. It's later in life and you can see he's been ill but he's still sharp and totally together.

https://youtu.be/C0fPUBYLqmU

https://youtu.be/Um9FVFTmD_I
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

Hate to stop in at this place. Heartbreak most every time. Can’t do more than repeat ..3 and 4 -pete all the accolades from those who adored the man. My faves are live album stuff.. like closing of the Filmore where Buddy “takes off” on Henry, and the ‘Shoulda seen me Runnin’ version with backup girls singing “Uh huh!..etc. Takes on a life all it’s own with an audience used to the Preacher coaxing the Choir.
Take a rest Buddy. Your influence is everlasting. 🎵😕
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Just a couple great pictures I thought I'd share.

Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I like this one

Michael Kessel

Another Pic

Post by Michael Kessel »

I had never seen this pic before. Festival Express 1970.
Bud Angelotti

Post by Bud Angelotti »

:(
Just 'cause I look stupid, don't mean I'm not.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sandra Scott-Wall wrote:We first met Buddy Cage back in the early 70s when the Grateful Dead and the New Riders of the Purple Sage came to St. Louis and Jerry Garcia contacted Scotty about a steel guitar. They would pull up in front of the store in their tour bus and both bands would pile out and mingle around the store. Pretty soon word would get out and local musicians would show up. It was a magical time and we got to know all of them pretty good. After their show Scotty would go pick up anybody who wanted to come and bring them back to the store and we would party late into the night. We got to know Buddy pretty well during that time. When the NRPS were booked on the ISGC not everybody liked their music but they were so friendly that you couldn't help but like them personally. Especially Buddy.

RIP Buddy. I shall always remember the wild and zany times we had.
Sandy,

I had the good fortune (really dumb luck) to be present on a few of those jams, packed in like sardines, shaking my head in amazement as I listened to Garcia, Cage and the others jam all afternoon in the store. One year, Buddy gave my friend and me two free tix and backstage passes to their concert downtown that night. Wow! Big fun for a couple of 18-year olds. RIP, Buddy.
Ronald Ballister

Post by Ronald Ballister »

Just terrible news. I saw him play twice. the second time he wasn't quite himself, the playing didn't have its usually bubbly quality. I just can't get over this and a little scary for me. Buddy had Multiple Myeloma as I do and we both had stem cell transplants. I was hoping he would come around. He was one of my idols.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Wikipedia has a nice article on Buddy...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Cage