My New Push Pull - 1965 Wraparound

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Draycott

My New Push Pull - 1965 Wraparound

Post by Mark Draycott »

I have bought my first Push Pull. I love the tone of this guitar. I have played Sho-Buds. This is a different beast.

1976 Sho-Bud Pro II, 1976 Sho-Bud LDG, BF Fender Deluxe, Evans FET 500 LV, BF Princeton Reverb, '68 Vibrolux Reverb
Michael Castellana

Post by Michael Castellana »

nice guitar, mark

it's my understanding emmons built and shipped a load of s10 wraps to a music school somewhere up in canada in the 60s.

i tore mine down to pieces and rebuilt as a C6 guitar. it had already been back to emmons at some point for 4 knees, i added one vertical (well t. cass did ... actually, tommy taught me most i know about working on these things!) obviously it came from emmons w/ only six pedals.

hope you don't mind me piling on here!
best,
m

ps can anyone identify sticker on case?

Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Michael,
That sticker is from the Pedal Steel Guitar Association (PSGA) in NY. The used to send them out when you joined and renewed. .
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Mark,
That is one sweet axe!
Mark Draycott

1965 Emmons

Post by Mark Draycott »

It has great tone and the real bonus is how light it is to move around. I very happy with this guitar.
1976 Sho-Bud Pro II, 1976 Sho-Bud LDG, BF Fender Deluxe, Evans FET 500 LV, BF Princeton Reverb, '68 Vibrolux Reverb
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Is the Emmons logo on the front of Mark's wraparound original? I've never seen that logo used before on a guitar. I'd love to hear a track.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

I have the sister to this guitar - I picked it up in Toronto a couple years ago - it was in horrible shape. I refurbed it and it’s now an incredible guitar. Nice score! Did you get it from Al Brisco? I know he had one in the shop recently...
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Mark Draycott

65 Emmons

Post by Mark Draycott »

HI Abe, this is the one Al had in his shop. I am just moving, so I am not able to record anything yet, but this sounds amazing. I have become a Push Pull fan instantly
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jack Stanton wrote:Michael,
That sticker is from the Pedal Steel Guitar Association (PSGA) in NY. The used to send them out when you joined and renewed. .
More here on the organization:

http://www.psga.org/pages/history.html
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Congratulations on your steel, Mark.
From what I hear, it was the Guelph Conservatory of Music in Ontario that had the serendipity to order a bunch of S-10 Emmons wraparounds for an ill-fated steel program. When that idea didn't work out, the steels were sold off, and ever since then, wraparounds - some well-played and some pristine - have been popping out from under beds in Ontario. Somewhere between 16 and 20 in number. Al Brisco told me a while ago that he thinks he has handled all of them at one time or another.
I was blessed to acquire one of the pristine ones from Al last year... complete with original case and 24 fret fretboard. Another, with a decal similar to Mark's has been in the capable hands of Al Bragg in Ottawa for many years. Al Bragg is a great steel player, but has no interest in history, makes or models. After taking a close look at his instrument one time, I exclaimed "Man, this thing is a '65 wraparound !". He shot me an amused look and shrugged. He said something like "I don't know anything about that stuff. All I know is, this steel has this "thing" that no other steel I've ever played has."
I hope you have many happy gigs together, Mark.
- John
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

When I was refurbing mine I talked to Ollie Strong - he was working at the school and personally took the shipment and built all the guitars. He said the first thing the students had to do was completely dismantle the guitars and rebuild them - that may be why some are in such horrible shape! When I got mine it had “Emmons” painted in huge cursive letters across the front. It looks basically brand new now.
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Mark Draycott

65 Emmons

Post by Mark Draycott »

Here is a pic of the serial number. I took her out and played with some friends. Had a chance to snap this.

Lonnie Wells

Post by Lonnie Wells »

Hi Mark,
Nice looking guitar! I also have one of those S10s PP from the same group. I got mine from a good friend over in Waterloo, Quebec several years ago. This one originally came from Al Brisco too.

I had Mike Cass restore mine. Looks as good as when it came from the factory.

I also had Mike change to 3 pedals and 5 knees and tuned standard E9th. All with original Emmons parts. Also had Ron Jr. replace the 3 pedal cross shafts to a later shaft with longer throw. It made the pedals much easier to depress then the original shafts. Mine does not have a serial number though like yours. Evidently some early models did not have serial numbers.