Carter SD-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Landon Johnson

Carter SD-10

Post by Landon Johnson »

As a relative beginner, I decided to upgrade from an older BMI S-10 3X3 to a Carter SD-10 2006 with 3 and 5.

Other than the BMI I have nothing to compare it to but this thing is a beast! And I mean that in the best of ways...

The pedals are a bit smaller which makes it a lot easier to isolate one pedal. The action is so much tighter, smoother and more precise than the BMI was (I'm sure the BMI was well-used)

Varying my touch has a much greater effect with this steel - I can go from pp to ff much more easily - it has a wider dynamic range. 710 pickups.

Every string stands out even in reverb, and the volume is equal pretty much across the set.

It doesn't go 'doink' above the 12th fret. That's the difference I noticed first - how long the notes sustain up there. A marked difference.

Ity is much quieter (the linkage) than the BMI was... and much cleaner too.

One negative - there seems to be more string buzzing in general than with the BMI. I suspect this will straighten itself out as we become better acquainted... :)

Damir thank you so much for helping me upgrade. Your level of service and communication was exemplary. I'm 100% satisfied.
Barry Coker

Carter

Post by Barry Coker »

I've had a Carter D-10 8 & 5 for about 4 months now and love it. All the pedals and knees are super smooth and plays like a dream.

Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Gaylen James

Moved LKL and LKR

Post by Gaylen James »

I have a Carter D-10 and I moved the LKL and LKR pedals about a 1 1/2 " to the left.
My left leg was in kind of a twisted position when I got it and moving the pedals fixed that problem.
Anybody else experience this problem?
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Landon, thank you my friend... Carters are awesome guitars, Buddy himself said once he didn’t see any difference between Carter and Emmons, and he even recorded some albums with his Carter... it is a very fine instrument ... I’m waiting on another Beatles video , this time on Carter 😊
Barry Coker

LKL move

Post by Barry Coker »

Gaylen I had to move my LKL to the left to gain room between the LKL & LKR with the Carter it was a simple change and took very little to accomplish.
I think the Carter steels are Very under rated and under valued they are great.

Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Got this 2008 SD-10 from Damir a few years ago. XR-16 pickup. It plays and sounds terrific.

Seems you got a good one, Landon. Pictures?