Custom fretboard

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Phelps

Custom fretboard

Post by Daniel Phelps »

Hello.
Any idea where I can get a custom fretboard like this one? Do these just get printed on card stock or something? Card stock would work, except maybe it wouldn’t last very long.

Daniel
Copyright © 2020 Daniel Phelps
Bobby D. Jones

Custom fretboards

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Use a piece of 1/8" plexi-glass and make a cover. Attach to the neck with double face tape or drill holes through the plexi-glass and attach with small SS screws.
This is a fret board I make about 1969. It is 1/8" plexi-glass. I laid it on another fret board and laid it out with masking tape, then painted it, The paint is on the underside of the P-glass and protected. Hope this gives you idea to use on your fret board. That is a neat one with grapes bananas and apples.
Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

I am not aware of anybody making and selling unique and decorative fretboards like that. You'd probably need to
get one custom printed.

I was thinking once that it would be a nice business idea for somebody to print and sell various decorative custom fretboards like the one in your picture. You could make all sorts of cool designs, maybe even custom ones where somebody wants a picture of their kids/pet/wife/whatever on the fret markers...you could have a different looking fretboard every month if you wanted to. I think this wouldn't be very expensive to make.

Here's what I'd get: 12 different fret-boards, one for every key. Each key would have the fret markers shifted to the key's position. For example, on the E-flat fretboard, you'd have all the fret markers shifted one fret towards your left hand.It would be as familiar as playing in E...in ALL keys. It would be interesting to try something like that.
Landon Johnson

Here's whatcha doooo

Post by Landon Johnson »

Go to this guy's place and pay him the few dollars he charges for the correct fretboard you want. Order it with no fret markers....

https://www.facebook.com/MillerCustomSteelGuitars/

Then go to clipart and download the images you want to use and resize/edit them to your satisfaction. I typed in 'grapes' and went to 'images' in Google Chrome.

Once you have your images, open the fretboard image and paste the clipart images you've prepared into it.

Save as a PDF and send it off to a vinyl graphics provider, get self-adhesive. Should cost about 10-15 bucks. I ordered one to check the size; it was fine so they kept the 'master' and if I ever need to order another, they have the original.

The fretboard in the picture is mine. Total cost was about $25 and took maybe 3 hours to find and edit images. You are welcome to whatever I have, except the fretboard graphic which I paid for and that wouldn't be fair to Mr. Miller.

Joseph Myers

Post by Joseph Myers »

I've done this with my Marlen. I had a couple of original Marlen card stock fretboards and I had a friend of mine who is a drafting designer scan them and make a digital template. So I can alway print a stock looking board. Then we removed graphics except the fret lines. I can drop any design I want into there, print one offs cheap.
They turn out quite nice. Note that my Marlen does have the plexi cover.

joe
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

You could ask georgeboards, he's got a lot of fretboards available: https://www.georgeboards.com/parts.html

Bobby: That's one sharp looking steel you go there!
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew