How to get the Santos and Johnny "fuzzy" steel sound

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Regan Branch

How to get the Santos and Johnny "fuzzy" steel sound

Post by Regan Branch »

I have a fuzz pedal, but by all means I've failed to reproduce the sound I hear on tracks like "Girl". Anyone have any tips to reproduce this earworm? [/i]
So if you see my milk cow, won't you drive her on home?
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

It's that real quick, emotional Italian vibrato that Santo uses and lots of treble.. :alien:
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

It is doubtful that they used any effects. :D
Erv
Regan Branch

Post by Regan Branch »

I'm sorry but if you can't hear fuzz on "Girl" than you're deaf. I don't mean that as an insult and I'm not saying that they used effects. Maybe it's a result of the tape they recorded it on. There's something about it though, it is indeed fuzzy, psychedelic, different sounding than any steel I've heard. Something's going on there. I'm not saying it's an effect pedal, but if I were to reproduce it, it would have to be either an effect pedal or a DAW plugin. My steelmaster just doesn't make that noise.
Regan Branch

Post by Regan Branch »

Maybe it's the amp breaking up. That's another idea. I'm just asking if anyone knows forsure what's going on.
Garry Vanderlinde

Regan Branch wrote:I'm sorry but if you can't hear fuzz on "Girl" than you're deaf.
Nice! Do YOU hear the quick vibrato and all the string noise?
Get yourself an early Fender Deluxe or Stringmaster and a Fender Twin amp.
Use the same tuning Santo did, (yes, it makes a difference!) Turn the treble up and work on your Italian vibrato.
It helps to be 16 yrs old and Italian,ha-ha.
Jody Carver:
the Italian Vibrato... "Olive Oil"helps the vibrato,one slice of pizza and dont wash your hands and there it is...the Italian
Vibrato.
These are the facts based on my opinion.
Last edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 16 Dec 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Sounds like tube amp breakup to me.
Al Evans

Re: How to get the Santos and Johnny

Post by Al Evans »

Regan Branch wrote:I have a fuzz pedal, but by all means I've failed to reproduce the sound I hear on tracks like "Girl". Anyone have any tips to reproduce this earworm? [/i]
No way to know for sure, but if I wanted to make a sound like that with a pedal steel, I'd do a search for "sitar bars". Either that, or just find a sitar and play it with a bar....

:D

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Regan Branch

Post by Regan Branch »

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:
Regan Branch wrote:I'm sorry but if you can't hear fuzz on "Girl" than you're deaf.
Nice! Do YOU hear the quick vibrato and all the string noise?
Get yourself an early Fender Deluxe or Stringmaster and a Fender Twin amp.
Use the same tuning Santo did, (yes, it makes a difference!) Turn the treble up and work on your Italian vibrato.
It helps to be 16 yrs old and Italian,ha-ha.
Jody Carver:
the Italian Vibrato... "Olive Oil"helps the vibrato,one slice of pizza and dont wash your hands and there it is...the Italian
Vibrato.
These are the facts based on my opinion.
Unfortunately because of my liver disease i can't eat a slice of pizza before every practice session :lol: It does sound like tube breakup. I have a remington steelmaster and a twin reverb. that's as close as you can get without having that. And yeh if I had the money I'd buy every instrument in the world but we all know how that goes.Plus I already have sweaty palms half the time and the tone bar is as slippery as a bar of soap as is. Ain't trying to lube up anymore. And from what I've heard sticky shit ruins your tone. So. More practice, practice, practice. I don't even like the rest of the song "Girl" just the intro lol. And I DO want a sitar or whatever the "Indian Slide" is referred to. is that a weissenborn?
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Regan Branch wrote:...And I DO want a sitar or whatever the "Indian Slide" is referred to. is that a weissenborn?
A quick search indicates that Jim Palenscar might be a good person to ask....

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Garry Vanderlinde

Found on youtube, here's a live performance of Santo & Johnny on an old Perry Como show where they play a couple of tunes. Starting @ 3:29 min. they play Sleepwalk and you can see and hear Santo's "Italian Vibrato". Very quick, sort of hawaiian like.
Regan, is this what you are hearing... psychedelic fuzz sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz42L7upvvA
Jason Goodell

Post by Jason Goodell »

To me Sleepwalk is a very warm track. You can hear hiss noise at the start, then the vibrato, and then to my ear there is some clipping of the signal chain. I've never heard or seen mention of what amp was used. The recording is from 1959, so it is likely that a Fender Tweed amp was used, and this was in the era before guys intentionally put their amps into overdrive. So I doubt the clipping is from the amp, but it's not impossible. Instead I think what is happening is tape saturation during the recording process, and maybe some clipping of the microphone preamp. I think it would be fun to try and recreate the sound. You could start with an overdrive pedal on a very low gain setting, and play with the volume on the steel and your picking dynamics to manipulate how much grit you get.
Physicist, software engineer, hobbyist amplifier builder, purveyor of dad-jokes, and guitar player of many of its forms. Not necessarily in that order, and with no guarantee or warranty.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Almost has the plinking sound of a sitar bar . I don't detect a fuzz but maybe the amp or microphone was being over driven, or it was just his technique. Cool sound for sure.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Hi Regan,

Its most likely a combination of tube amp distortion, tape saturation, and tubes in the console - the Fender Twin has too much power to create that sound. On the recording you are also hearing the instrument picked aggressively hard which triggers all of those low watt puppies into doing "That Thing".

When you listen to recordings up to the mid 70's...Tube consoles, Tube amps, actually tubes were everywhere in the recording process. For the players part the low watt amp is the unique factor. Chasing tones - the only way to exactly capture a very specific tone is to do exactly as they did on that particular day.

Paul
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The song Girl was released by the Beatles in 1965. So the Santo and Johnny cover is from after that. Figure 1966 or around then. The sound I’m hearing is mainly ferocious picking and vibrato. I’m not hearing any reverb except for some plate in mix. I do not hear any effects or overdrive. If you are interested in that sort of tone and phrasing look at steel players from India. That is the exact sound those guys are into. It is a great scene. Tons of monster players. Even the current guys sound like that track.

Paul seems right about the small tube amp and a slammed console.
Bob
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Gautam Dasgupta is a little on the cheesy side but I really like his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEvendz5SM4

Sunil Ganguly nails that sound. There is tons of stuff of his on youtube.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dWBKwsL4DU
Bob
Jeremy DeHart

Post by Jeremy DeHart »

I'm gonna assume this was his steel with full treble through a fender twin amp cranked pretty decently (over 5 on volume). So it's that tube breakup from pretty heavy strong pickups (The massive trapezoid pickups on the Deluxe Triple neck) and full blast treble on both the amp and the steel. It's one of the crazy things about Santo, the volume he must have had was tremendous, but he's playing so lightly and delicately on most everything. I'm assuming this would have been quite something to see live. To my ears listening to all of his repertoire, I've never even heard so much as a volume pedal.
Nicholas Cox

Post by Nicholas Cox »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:Gautam Dasgupta is a little on the cheesy side but I really like his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEvendz5SM4

Sunil Ganguly nails that sound. There is tons of stuff of his on youtube.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dWBKwsL4DU
Bob you’re right it does sound a lot like that Indian steel sound.