What steel is best to buy NEW between $3000-$3500

Post here if you're looking for something special
Fred Hedgecoth

What steel is best to buy NEW between $3000-$3500

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Got burned recently by a seller on eBay after I won a brand new 2014 Mullen Royal Precision...he cancelled claiming damage done in shipping but I'm not buying it. Anyway, I'm a beginner but advanced in years (68) and plan to spend the remaining ones learning this beautiful instrument. The eBay auction got me so stoked on a high quality guitar I hate to get one that's just so-so or under-equipped and may have to be replaced in the future. And believe it or not, the wife says go for it and get what you want! Before I commit to a builder I'd like to know what the community might suggest. I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks! (BTW, I'm flogging a Sho-Bud Maverick right now and hate to waste any more time on it1)
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
Fred Hedgecoth

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Forgot to say that I did get money $$$ back fortunately!
Mike DiAlesandro

Post by Mike DiAlesandro »

Fred, Here is a link to Mullen steel guitars. You can buy a brand new Royal Precision SD-10 for around $3150. I am sure you would be quite happy with it...

https://mullenguitars.com/guitars-and-prices
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

From the price points you show, I assume you are looking for a single neck. You can’t go wrong with any model Mullen, and the Royal Precision is right in line with your budget. It’s easy to get scammed on Flea Bay, but don’t overlook something used that’s for sale here on the Forum. This is a steel friendly place, and the sellers are genuinely great folks.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Steven Meister

Post by Steven Meister »

Another vote for Mullen.
Wesley Medlen

Post by Wesley Medlen »

Justice from Mesa Arizona very good guitars and service.
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP
Roy Peterman

Steel guitar

Post by Roy Peterman »

Fred, I see you are from Virginia. Have you checked with Billy Cooper in Orange Virginia? He always has some great used guitars, as well as new ones and great service if you need it. www.billycooperssteelguitar.com
Alan Rudd

Post by Alan Rudd »

How about an Emmons? There are a lot of great steels out there...Mullen, Justice, Marlen, MSA, Fessenden, Carter, Emmons, Desert Rose...all within this price range if you find the right one.
baxter vaughan

Post by baxter vaughan »

Fred I purchased a Texas Pedal Steel & have been very happy with it. Very well built. Plays & souds great. Another one to consider.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

In your price range you can also find clean, high-quality pre-loved double-neck guitars.

For example: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351555

p.s. There is also one notorious brand that you don't want to get involved with... ask us here before you send any money.
Last edited by Jim Cohen on 1 Dec 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Williams

Steel Choice

Post by Carl Williams »

Fred,
If at all possible, try to actually see the brand of steel and sit behind/under it. Good luck...Carl
George Kimery

What steel is best to buy new $3000 to $3500

Post by George Kimery »

Ditto to driving to Billy Cooper's. He checks out his used guitars and has a lot of new and used on the floor to choose from. You have a great budget to buy a like new used steel of about any brand you want. Steels don't really wear out and many of them have never left the owners music room. I wouldn't even consider a new guitar with so many like new ones on the forum. You can get a much better guitar with you budget by going used.
Fred Hedgecoth

Post by Fred Hedgecoth »

Thanks to all for good advice and taking the time to assist me! I ended up going with a used Mullen Discovery that should be more than enough PS to keep me busy for the next 20 years or so. I'll definitely head up to Billy Cooper's...he must give free ice cream to anyone visiting his shop judging from the great reviews y'all give him!
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

double post
Last edited by Johnie King on 20 Dec 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

Also check with Lynn Stafford. He refurbishes steels and when finished are better than new. He’s fair and honest. He usually has has some on hand. Great, Great guy.
Keep pickin', Larry
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Johnie King wrote:I have two as new steels in your price Range a Rittenberry Prestige 4 an 5 an a Fessenden 3 an 5
Fred, go for Johnie King's guitars. He is a stand up person or get a Justice as $2700.00 buys you a lot of guitar.

JUSTCE

:o
Michael Hardee

Post by Michael Hardee »

Hi Fred as others have mentioned there is no substitute for sitting down at a steel before you buy. Buying used lets someone else take the initial hit on depreciation.

Depending on how flexible your left ankle is it is nice to confirm the left knee levers are positioned comfortably for you and the action of the pedals suits you. The first MSA I bought I had to shift the floor pedals over to the right. I enjoyed working on steels but I was much younger then. Good luck!
Derek Puckett

Post by Derek Puckett »

Just Note if ordering a new guitar a lot of builders have a 6 to 18 month lead time. There are a lot of really nice guitars being built including the ones I help Gary Rittenberry build just do your research and don’t buy a guitar just because your favorite player has one doesn’t mean it’s a good guitar for you. Let us know if we can help have blessed day.
George Frachiseur

Rittenberry

Post by George Frachiseur »

I have played ShoBuds over the last 20 yrs also Carters, MSA's and Zums. I have been playing a Rittenberry for the last year and now I have recieved my new Rittenberry Prestige and I have to say it is the best sounding, best playing guitar I have ever played or heard. I have a friend that has been playing since he was 7 or 8 years old and he is 65 now and all he has owned is ShoBuds, he has played other brands also but I set up my New Rittenberry Prestige and he played it for about 6 hours and fell in love with it's killer tone and the ease in which it plays, needless to say he ordered one and that says a lot because he has one of the best ears for tone I know of....you really become one with this guitar and you just have to play one to believe it. Also Gary is a man that stands behind his guitars! They will not leave him until they are in tip top shape! That along with a man that I hold in very high regards and you have something thats just magical...George Frachiseur