Quilter Travis Toy 12 Signature Steel Guitar Combo Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matt Waldrum

Post by Matt Waldrum »

Travis Toy, Will you be putting out a demo for this anytime soon, for steel guitar?
Jerome Harris

Post by Jerome Harris »

Matt Waldrum wrote:Travis Toy, Will you be putting out a demo for this anytime soon, for steel guitar?
There's a video of Travis speaking about it (with a little playing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0dWH5U0-_g

Here, Travis demonstrates the speaker, but with a different amp head driving it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOwUlOjwnW4

Jerome Harris
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Jerome Harris wrote:
Matt Waldrum wrote:Travis Toy, Will you be putting out a demo for this anytime soon, for steel guitar?
There's a video of Travis speaking about it (with a little playing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0dWH5U0-_g

Here, Travis demonstrates the speaker, but with a different amp head driving it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOwUlOjwnW4

Jerome Harris
I appreciate the link sharing. Honestly the second one has very little to do with this new combo, other than the speaker.

Matt, I’m trying to put together a little video of clips from the Dallas show in March of this year. I played a final prototype of the TT12 combo all weekend in the MSA room. I have a lot of videos. I figure that’ll be a better, and certainly more of a real-world demo than I have time to do at the moment. Coming very soon.

-t
Matt Waldrum

Post by Matt Waldrum »

Thanks Travis, looking forward to it.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Matt, I’m trying to put together a little video of clips from the Dallas show in March of this year. I played a final prototype of the TT12 combo all weekend in the MSA room. I have a lot of videos. I figure that’ll be a better, and certainly more of a real-world demo than I have time to do at the moment. Coming very soon.-t

I was there. Travis sounded great; lots of great tone from that small rig. Then there's...well...Travis Toy.
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Here’s a great clip of Johnny Cox playing through it at the steel shop here in Nashville the other day.

https://youtu.be/yZyi9XPVxMg

-t
Hugo Knef

Post by Hugo Knef »

Really like the sound of the c9 organ pedal through the effects loop. In fact the separate effects loop is the bomb for me and my sound. This amp does it all👍
Williams S10 moyo mini Quilter TT12
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Hugo Knef wrote:Really like the sound of the c9 organ pedal through the effects loop. In fact the separate effects loop is the bomb for me and my sound. This amp does it all👍
Awesome Hugo! Thanks for sharing.

-t
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

What was he using in the first part of the vid? Was it just the onboard reverb, or was it something else?
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

forrest klott wrote:What was he using in the first part of the vid? Was it just the onboard reverb, or was it something else?
If you’re referring to the video of Johnny, it was just the onboard reverb.

-t
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

Hey Travis,

Um....WOW. I’m looking forward to rest driving a buddy’s 202 in a couple days. Can’t wait to see how it sounds in person!

Skeeter
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

forrest klott wrote:Hey Travis,

Um....WOW. I’m looking forward to rest driving a buddy’s 202 in a couple days. Can’t wait to see how it sounds in person!

Skeeter
The 202 by itself is no doubt good. There’s some special mojo happening with the combination of the 202, the cab, and my 12” speaker though. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of it’s parts.

-t
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

Oh, absolutely, I have no doubt of that. I’m presuming your 15” speaker would be pretty darned good to combo with it also, correct?
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

forrest klott wrote:Oh, absolutely, I have no doubt of that. I’m presuming your 15” speaker would be pretty darned good to combo with it also, correct?
My 15” speaker sounds very good with the 202 head. Unfortunately there’s not a 15” blockdock cab right now...but I’m working on it. ;-)

-t
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

Thanks Travis, much appreciated.
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

I was wondering why you paired the Quilter amp with the TT-12 rather than the TT-15. Your quote from the Eminence website:
“I feel that the Double-T 15 is a marriage of all of my favorite characteristics from both 12” and 15” speaker sizes.” said Toy. “You get the benefit of more air movement from a larger 15” surface area, but with the punch and cut of a 12”.
Emmons & Peavey
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Steven Paris wrote:I was wondering why you paired the Quilter amp with the TT-12 rather than the TT-15. Your quote from the Eminence website:
“I feel that the Double-T 15 is a marriage of all of my favorite characteristics from both 12” and 15” speaker sizes.” said Toy. “You get the benefit of more air movement from a larger 15” surface area, but with the punch and cut of a 12”.
That is definitely an accurate quote, as it pertains to that speaker. That being said, I just prefer 12” speakers.

-t
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

For those that have been asking for clips of the amp, I apologize. I have been insanely busy. I did finally get around to compiling a video of some solos from the Dallas steel show earlier this year (2019). These are all from the jams that were happening in the MSA room. Nothing too serious here...just having fun with my friends. That being said, I was playing a final prototype of what would become my signature TT12 combo, so I feel like this is a fair representation of what the combo sounds like in the real world.

https://youtu.be/RIQkbpGLfEE

-t
Matt Waldrum

Post by Matt Waldrum »

Sounds great, Travis. What setting was the voicing on, and were you using the amp's reverb?
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Matt Waldrum wrote:Sounds great, Travis. What setting was the voicing on, and were you using the amp's reverb?
That was the reverb on the amp, which is excellent. Although I can’t answer in 100% certainty, since it was in March, I’d guess that was likely the “vintage” voicing. It tends to be my favorite, and what I play it in the majority of the time.

-t
Sam Werbalowsky

Post by Sam Werbalowsky »

I received this amp last Friday, and was previously using a Roland Cube 80XL. I'd say this amp has a bit more bite to it and is definitely more responsive.

Primarily using the vintage mode, with gain and limiter around 5, mids at 5, bass turned all the way up (which is flat with this voicing) and treble rolled slightly off the max. Sounds awesome.

I have played a little bit with increasing the gain and manipulating the limiter. The amp does have a nice overdrive, there is more definition to it than there was on the natural overdrive of a Princeton Reverb I have.

The onboard reverb is maybe the most impressive part, though. Not sure why it sounds so good, but it does.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Travis, that sounded killer at the Texas show. Definitely got a keeper in that combo.
Travis Toy

Post by Travis Toy »

Sam Werbalowsky wrote:I received this amp last Friday, and was previously using a Roland Cube 80XL. I'd say this amp has a bit more bite to it and is definitely more responsive.

Primarily using the vintage mode, with gain and limiter around 5, mids at 5, bass turned all the way up (which is flat with this voicing) and treble rolled slightly off the max. Sounds awesome.

I have played a little bit with increasing the gain and manipulating the limiter. The amp does have a nice overdrive, there is more definition to it than there was on the natural overdrive of a Princeton Reverb I have.

The onboard reverb is maybe the most impressive part, though. Not sure why it sounds so good, but it does.
Glad you dig it Sam! One of the most important things to mess with on this amp is the relationship between the Gain, Limiter, and Master settings. They all sound different throughout their entire ranges, and they all really have an effect on one another. Lots of experimenting to be done there.

Vintage is the mode I usually wind up in, even though it does vary quite a bit depending on the situation. The bass knob all the way up would be a crazy amount of bass for my rig/sound. Just goes to show the difference in pickups, guitar, cables, volume pedal, hands, room, what we like to hear, etc. So many factors at play. Play on!

-t
Arty Passes

Post by Arty Passes »

Any advice for using the 202 as more of a direct out to monitor/FOH without a speaker cab? We use in-ears and I have a Steelaire I plan to continue using on most gigs, but occasionally we are in a smaller setting where stage volume can be an issue and going direct gives the FOH engineer more control.
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

Arty Passes wrote:......... gives the FOH engineer more control.
Boy, I guess THAT's a double-edged sword, ain't it?
Emmons & Peavey