Pedal steel in a different context....

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Al Evans

Pedal steel in a different context....

Post by Al Evans »

I bet you never saw a Fessenden pedal steel used like this!

https://vimeo.com/367350121

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

It is different. I didn't say I liked it. But cowbells aren't bad in the right place.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Interesting. I actually enjoyed it. Wikipedia says it's Ed William's on PSG.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dennis Brion

Post by Dennis Brion »

Punk steel guitar, I was waiting for him to smash it on the floor at the end very different!
1969 Custom built d10, Fender 25R practice amp,Dunlop pedal, Peavy Special 130 w/15" Blackwidow, Gretsch resonator, 41 Gibson 7 string lap steel, Epiphone flat top, 67 Epiphone Olympic
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Somebody’s been watchin’ Rusty Young...
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Guys a good player,,, Actually quite a good band all the way around.. The bass player/drummer/ percussionist are really solid.. they lay down a big thick groove that you can walk across... I like them... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
b0b

👍👍

Post by b0b »

Dennis Brion wrote:Punk steel guitar, I was waiting for him to smash it on the floor at the end very different!
Punk? I don't think so. To my ear it's straight up rock. More echo on the steel than I would ever use - 3 repeats? Still, he's very good and it's great to see steel featured as the lead instrument in a rock song. :D
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Loved it.

Undoubtedly influenced by Robert Randolph.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Even though he’s not doing an Emmons, Chalker or Anderson thing he’s a featured instrument in this pretty modern style song. That is a good thing for pedal steel, showing versatility. I like that it is out in front, too, not placed back behind the keyboards on a riser.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

That's really really good. He is dead-on solid. Nothing 'experimental'. He's put in his experimenting hours so that he can come to the stage and know exactly what he's doing and present it as music.
Richard Sinkler

Re: 👍👍

Post by Richard Sinkler »

b0b wrote:
Dennis Brion wrote:Punk steel guitar, I was waiting for him to smash it on the floor at the end very different!
Punk? I don't think so. To my ear it's straight up rock. More echo on the steel than I would ever use - 3 repeats? Still, he's very good and it's great to see steel featured as the lead instrument in a rock song. :D
While I am not a big fan of delay, I think his use (or overuse?) was perfect for this song. I plan on checking out some more of their stuff.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

Does remind me of Rusty Young. What ever fit the song, weather country steel, raging slide, B3, or ? Lots of body English.... wish there were more vids of early Poco with Russ “in action”.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

I believe the music world is looking for more players pushing the instrument forward and staying current with Pop trends....I hear this song as a pop/rock setting. The steel is mimicking the U2 / Coldplay rhythmic delay approach typically heard from guitarists with a little Sacred steel slide style inserted, and his Rusty Young style showmanship sold it visually....What he chose to play was spot on for the gig.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

...players pushing the instrument forward...
Well, he certainly has that move mastered. He did it quite a few times!

;-)
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Wow! I dig this, and without guys playing like that in other genres, steel guitar is a dead dinosaur. Well, dying a slow death of cultural irrelevancy, at least...
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Franklin wrote:I believe the music world is looking for more players pushing the instrument forward and staying current with Pop trends....I hear this song as a pop/rock setting. The steel is mimicking the U2 / Coldplay rhythmic delay approach typically heard from guitarists with a little Sacred steel slide style inserted, and his Rusty Young style showmanship sold it visually....What he chose to play was spot on for the gig.
No arguments there! Pedal steel can do so much stuff that's "out-of-the-box", but the artists and producers rarely give them the chance. Part of this is convention, and part is that most pedal steelers don't really care for it. It does require imagination and a willingness to experiment, though.
Jerry Horch

Wow

Post by Jerry Horch »

I do like the song...creative playing
Last edited by Jerry Horch on 2 Nov 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin D10 /Walker Sterio Steel JBL's /DigiTech Quad4/ Korg Toneworks/ Dobro DM 1000 / Santa Cruz Guitar VA
Jim Norman

Post by Jim Norman »

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Love It!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

Brilliant ,really enjoyed this.The steel was right there up in the mix and totally relevant.Thought the use of the delay was really clever and suited the song.We need more of this to maintain and raise the instruments profile .
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Not my typical kind of music but the guy is inventive and plays what fits the song to a tee. Good work whoever you are.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

Enjoyed that. Thanks so much for posting. So much music, so little time..
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

this was really good, I really enjoyed it, thank you for posting ...
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

This band, The Revivalists, is scheduled for airing tonight 1:00 am on Austin City Limits on my local PBS station. You might check your local station for times if interested.

Maybe get to see more of Ed on pedal steel in this rock setting.

If I read the listing correctly, this video in Al's link was a bonus and will not be seen in the PBS ACL airing in that time frame.

I long for the day that pedal steel in this style won't be considered by many as unusual, rather as being accepted as a part of the music just like any other instrument.

Players like Ed and bands like this utilizing it, go a long way to making that happen.
David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

I think it is pure genius. A pedal steel is a musical instrument. It doesn't necessarily have to whine and cry all the time. Healthy for steel guitar sales too and keeping the instrument alive and on stage.