Sho-bud full restoration

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Igor Fiksman

Sho-bud full restoration

Post by Igor Fiksman »

As promised in the earlier post I'll be adding some progress photos of my Sho-Bud Professional D10 restoration. Since I have very little time to dedicate to this project, progress will be slow, but I am determined to do a proper job and cutting no corners in bringing this beauty back to life. I will post progress pics periodically to share this journey with my fellow forumites. Wish me luck!
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Keep us posted thanks.
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

Lots of cleaning and polishing (by hand) of small parts, take extra care not to lose tiny snap rings or set screws. Once dropped, those tend to disappear forever.
SHO-BUD Professional SD-10 Black, SHO-BUD Pro III Custom D-10 Red, Goodrich Matchbox 6A, Steeler's Choice seat, Quilter Steelaire Amps.
Benjamin Franz

Post by Benjamin Franz »

my experience is it’s just better to just replace those e clips, or snap rings. Once taken on and off a few times they stretch and no longer provide a firm hold.
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Don’t get your hands dirty lol😂
Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Benjamin Franz wrote:my experience is it’s just better to just replace those e clips, or snap rings. Once taken on and off a few times they stretch and no longer provide a firm hold.
Michael Yahl has the right size clips. And any other parts you need! When I rebuilt a Sho~Bud several years ago, I found that some of the brass bits were really worn.
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Igor I sent you a Email for your shipping address this morning.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Nice guitar but, can some one straighten me out? My Professional was a Rack & barrel. Is this an actual Professional modal or perhaps a Pro111? RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Cool project, Igor! I will be watching for updates on your progress.
Igor Fiksman

Post by Igor Fiksman »

Ron Pruter, you're correct. The guitar I'm restoring is a Sho-Bud Professional, which currently has a rack and berrel system. I've been collecting parts for some time now with an intent to convert the mechanics to a more modern Pro II style system which uses same changer as the Professional, same rods and tuning barrels, but uses crossshafts and 2-hole pullers instead of clunky racks. I've heard for years that it is the sweetest sounding and playing system ever devised by Sho-Bud and after consulting with Ricky Davis and others about complexity of such conversion, I decided to go through with it. So, finished product will effectively be a Professional with early Pro II undercarriage.