NEW Tommy White and Paul Franklin Course!

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Spaulding

NEW Tommy White and Paul Franklin Course!

Post by John Spaulding »

Modern Music Masters is proud to announce "Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Volume 1", a pedal steel guitar course taught by Tommy White and Paul Franklin.

For the first time ever, these two Hall of Famers sat down behind their guitars to do a video answering their most frequently-asked questions about picking, blocking and the PF4/TW Split pedal changes.

They explain the history of these techniques, where they came from and what they have evolved into as the pedal steel guitar continues to expand its place in modern music.

This is the definitive, up-close look at Tommy's palm blocking-based technique and Paul's pick blocking style, which evolved from Buddy Emmons' pioneering approach. They even come up with a new and more accurate term for it: "The 3 - Element Technique".

With over 40 tabbed licks demonstrating the various concepts, here's your chance to have a fun and informative visit with two great players at the top of their game.

Click here for full details: Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Volume 1

John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

John Spaulding

Early Reviews Are In!

Post by John Spaulding »

Some early testimonial quotes from players who picked up the Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar course. See post above for more info on this amazing and informative summit of two of the instrument's finest players.

"I totally recommend this course to a player of any level. Even if you “know everything” and you’re happy with your playing, it’s worth it to just watch them talk about the instrument."

"There are a lot of nuances in this course that would take many folks a long time to discover on their own. Thanks to both of you for yet another valuable learning tool."

"There is a wealth of good info here. Wish these lessons had been around 40 years ago !!!"

"The in-depth videos are a treasure"
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Paul and I covered so much in this course. Paul’s gracious and kind way of teaching in detail is obvious and out front. He’s just the best and it really is a great course. I’m honored to be a part of it. 😊
Alexander Rehfeld

Post by Alexander Rehfeld »

Hi John, hi Tommy,

great job!! What will be the subject of the other volumes?

Greetings from Berlin
Alex
1974 Sho Bud "The Professional"; 2017 Show Pro D 10; BJS Bar "John Hughey"; Goodrich Steel Driver III; Live Steel Strings
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

One suggestion was a "C6 Applications" course with Paul and Tommy, where they
explore common chord progressions and demonstrate their individual approaches to playing over the various changes in various contexts.

What other topics would you like both of them to cover in future volumes?
Darrell Owens

Comment

Post by Darrell Owens »

I enjoyed these interviews and especially the history and development of the PSG. Paul and Tommy covered the questions we all have about how this instrument developed.

One note: There is very little of either of them actually playing the steel. It would have been nice to see at least a couple of performances from these two masters. Other than that, I was pleased with the lesson.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
John Spaulding

Post by John Spaulding »

One note: There is very little of either of them actually playing the steel. It would have been nice to see at least a couple of performances from these two masters. Other than that, I was pleased with the lesson.
Thanks for enrolling in the course and for your kind words, we truly appreciate it!

There are over 40 tabbed licks and phrases that Tommy and Paul use to demonstrate the concepts they were teaching in this course.

Now that the technique side of things has been covered, look for more lessons with Tommy and Paul playing in a performance setting in future volumes...including their individual approaches to the C6 neck.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

The comment about "not much playing" pertains to the "Interviews with Tommy"...In the interviews we were dissecting, as with the "Lloyd Green" interviews, Tommy's thoughts on everything steel guitar and discussing his amazing career as a musician...

The "New Lesson With Tommy - Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Part 1"....Is about how to play the instrument. We play things throughout to demonstrate the various directions ,in depth, so viewing players can use that information to advance themselves forward.

I hope nobody assumes the Tommy White interviews are the same as the lesson, although anytime we can sit down to listen to masters like Tommy and Lloyd speak we are being schooled from their perspective and vast experience....Personally in my journey, I never pass up learning from masters sharing their concepts.....There is always a tidbit that flips a switch for me inside their playing experiences.

Paul Franklin
Tab Tabscott

Getting a bigger bar.

Post by Tab Tabscott »

I had no idea my bar was too short. Im 6'2" and I was playing with a 3-3/8 BJS bar (10 string). I switched to a 12 string bar and it has helped me a lot. Then I switched to the BIG DADDY 4 inch BJS bar and that's now my bar of choice.
There is a lot of good information in this course. The bar information was worth the price. I had never thought about it much.
Tab Tabscott

Play nice.

They is none else.
Eddy Dunlap

Post by Eddy Dunlap »

Just bought it! I can't commend Paul and Tommy enough for providing this special lesson plan for our community. I'll be diving in this evening and staying in the woodshed. If anyone is wanting to refine their technique, the Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Vol 1 with Tommy and Paul is an essential must-have :)