toggle switch bad?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Lester

toggle switch bad?

Post by Richard Lester »

Question: Can a toggle switch go bad? I just replaced a pick-up on my Zum-C-6th neck and now I'm getting cut-outs, goes dead, and sometimes it will be scratchy, then other times it plays good. Didn't have this problem before I changed the pick-up. And the problem happens on both necks now. I've checked and rechecked the wiring with a magnifying glass and there's no strand of wire touching any other terminal of the switch. Any suggestions? Even lowered my pick-ups a tad.
Thanks
Zum D-10, GFI S10 keyless ultra, 2020 Flight Ready SD-10 Rittenberry, Quilter Steelaire, Telonics vol. pedal
Bob Carlucci

Re: toggle switch bad?

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Richard Lester wrote:Question: Can a toggle switch go bad? I just replaced a pick-up on my Zum-C-6th neck and now I'm getting cut-outs, goes dead, and sometimes it will be scratchy, then other times it plays good. Didn't have this problem before I changed the pick-up. And the problem happens on both necks now. I've checked and rechecked the wiring with a magnifying glass and there's no strand of wire touching any other terminal of the switch. Any suggestions? Even lowered my pick-ups a tad.
Thanks
I would try spraying that switch with electronic cleaner, such as Deoxit, and see what happens...
If you can't gain access to the innards of the switch from the underside, I have had great luck over the years gently pushing down on the toggle itself, there's usually a spring inside, and spraying right into the tiny gap, and moving the switch lever back and forth a few times.. GENTLY!.. Don't force it.. You don't need a big gap, those spray contact cleaners can get through anything...

While you're at it, make sure the input jack on the guitar is clean as well.. That can cause the same problem you explained...bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Richard Lester

clean it

Post by Richard Lester »

Thanks Bob,
I did clean the input jack and the cables. I will try the deoxit and see what happens. thanks again
Zum D-10, GFI S10 keyless ultra, 2020 Flight Ready SD-10 Rittenberry, Quilter Steelaire, Telonics vol. pedal
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Suspect the solder job... either a cold solder, or perhaps you melted the switch. Ohmmeter might help her... measure ohms while jiggling!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Solder a jumper across the switch temporarily. That'll tell you definitely if the problem is at the switch. ;-)
Richard Lester

switch

Post by Richard Lester »

Thank you guys very much. My age doesn't help me much, neither does my thinking cap; forgetting too many things now-a-days :roll:
Peter Harris

Post by Peter Harris »

Donny Hinson wrote:Solder a jumper across the switch temporarily. That'll tell you definitely if the problem is at the switch. ;-)
..or make up a short lead with crocodile clips at each end...
If my wife is reading this, I don't have much stuff....really!