Unfreezing frozen steel leg clutches?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

T. C. Furlong

Unfreezing frozen steel leg clutches?

Post by T. C. Furlong »

I just acquired an old Emmons P/P and three of the legs had their clutches frozen. I have a pipe vise built into my workmate and put the heavy wrench on the adjustment collar but these babies are totally locked up. I thought of penetrating oil but then I thought it might foul up the porous part inside the clutch. I can always buy new clutch parts but maybe here on the forum might have the wisdom. Thanks in advance.
TC
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

TC, you won't hurt anything using WD40 or some other penetrating oil. Just put a good amount around the tightening collar and let it soak until you can break it loose. All there is in the clutch is The steel leg, aluminum or steel collar, a brass bevelled washer and a rubber compression washer. Let it soak good to avoid having to tighten a vise very tight, You should put the threaded lug in the vise and wrap some protection on it first. Don't put the hollow part of the leg in a vise. I'm sure you know all this already but a reminder can't hurt.
Jerry<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 11 February 2006 at 12:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
R.C. Vick

Post by R.C. Vick »

T.C. If the WD-40 isnt enough (and it wont be), dont give up yet. I researched several penetrating oils after Katrina to try to help co-workers who were saving belongings. I settled on Gibb's penetrating oil and I am now a firm believer. I ordered a few cases and they lasted a day for cost. I have now become a distributor (basically in name to have it on hand) If it can be freed up, it will do it! Check it out on a search engine, then email me if I can help. Thanks.
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Hi Jerry, Thanks for the advise. I opened up the one good clutch and the compression ring looks to be phenolic. I think I remember that phenolic is porous. That's why I was being cautious. I was thinking that if the phenolic ring gets soaked with oil, it might not grab when compressed.
Newer clutches have a brass washer and a hard plastic compression ring that has a split in it. I guess it doesn't matter that much but I'd like to keep things original.
TC
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

R.C. Thanks very much. I will look for Gibbs. And good work helping out your neighbors!
T.C.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Never Ever Force it. I just go get a BIGGER hammer. Image
Bill Hamner

Post by Bill Hamner »

T.C.,
If these are OEM Emmons legs the Collars are aluminum. Just a small amount of heat will do wonders. The expansion rate difference between the steel legs and the aluminum collar is considerable and you might find that a heat gun very similar to a hair dryer will do the job with out damaging any of the parts. Just carefully heat the collar and you might find they become only finger tight.
Another option.... Preheat your oven to approximately 200 degress, remove the rubber tips on the bottom end of the legs and place the entire leg in the oven for a few minutes
(3 to 5 min. may be sufficient). With gloves on you may be able to turn the collars by hand if the threads are not galled. Another neat trick that may help...Have a candle nearby when you heat the collar and apply it to the joint while hot. This should allow some melted wax to seep into the affected area. This works well on seized pipe plugs also.
Bill<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bill Hamner on 12 February 2006 at 04:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Bill - The legs are OEM Emmons but they are from a '66/'67 so they have the steel collars just like an Atlas mic stand. I have a paint stripping heat gun so I may try heating the collar anyway to see what happens. Thanks very much!

Jim Bob - Image
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Hey TC, I had the same problem on my dads Fender Stringmaster. It had been setting in a museum for years and there was no way to get the leg clutch's loose. I stood them up against the work bench (Upside down) and then soaked them good with WD40. next morning I had the loose enough to move just a little bit each way. I soaked them again and the next day they freed up. Hope this helps. Didn't hurt the clutch parts either.

Rick
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Unfreezing.... Is that anything like thawing?
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

I'd try the penetrating oil overnight and then whack the sides of the collars a few times with a hammer, using a block of wood to prevent damage to the metal. The shock of the hammer blows should loosen the threads...

------------------