MSA Legend

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Cody Angel

MSA Legend

Post by Cody Angel »

I picked up my Legend XL back in June and have been on the road and in studios most of the time since. My guitar is constructed from roasted rock maple with wood trim from the original dance floor at the famous “World’s Largest Honky Tonk” Billy Bob’s Texas in Fort Worth. I am an endorsing artist with MSA and must say I am blown away by the instrument. I have a 9x9 d10 that functions perfectly and sounds incredible. The forward thought features such as adjustable pedals and hot swap pickups, not to mention Lfrets, are truly great and useful upgrades. As a studio musician, I have found the swappable pickups to be especially useful. Obviously, differing tones is fun and convienient; but finding just the right sound for a mix every time goes a long way in recording. I also exclusively use Quilter amps. The Quilter block style allows me to have the head next to me and cabinet in isolation then pack it together for a 32 pound combo. Between an amp head next to me and a handful of pickups, I can have just about and sound I’m looking for in a matter of seconds. I highly recommend both MSA and Quilter to any player looking to make a change or add to their collection.
MSA Legend XL, Quilter Amps, Peterson Tuners.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Nice post. I have heard so many great things about the latest generation of MSA guitars.

Now, time to edit your Forum signature!
Mullen Steel Guitars with The Resorocker back neck on my SD10 G2. Peterson Tuners.
;-)
Chris Willingham

Post by Chris Willingham »

Great post. I’ve got a S10 XL ordered, Jan delivery, really excited. What pickups did you go with Cody? The Billy Bob’s strips in yours is the coolest. Such an awesome idea.
Fiddle, banjo and steel for Tennessee Jet

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

I have a 705 that normally stays in the E9 and E66 in C6. I also have a Truetone, Mullen G2 pickup, and a low output guitar style pickup on a Mullen bobbin. I have a 10-1 and Lollar Stringmaster I’m waiting to receive. The Billy Bob’s wood was courtesy of Gregg Guitars.
Chris Grigsby

Post by Chris Grigsby »

Pics? Sounds like a killer setup!
Mullen Discovery S10, Hilton VP, Kemper Profiler Head and Kabinet.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

My Millenniums have the same undercarriage and all same features except the L frets. MSA steels really are as good as everybody says.

And I also use a Quilter. I have a Steelaire, Together, the MSA and the Quilter (along with a Telonics volume pedal)make a terrific rig. I plan to keep this as long as I live.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Carl Williams

MSA—-Yes Sir!

Post by Carl Williams »

Congrats Cody...you’ve got it going on with a great combo sure! You gave me an opening to rave a little about my Studio Pro SD-10 coupled with a Telonics 500B w/15” Speaker...sounds mighty fine to my ears. Throw in a Telonics vol pedal and TT pickup to round it all out. What is your “favorite” pickup Cody? I’m on the fence about L-frets...Anyway, glad you’ve found the sound...Carl
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

I’ve been tending toward 705 in front and E66 in back. I wouldn’t say favorite for sure, but they get me what I need for general purposes.
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Thanks Cody...I missed what you had already posted about pickups. Carl
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

I guess I'm spoiled. My first steel, is a year old Legend D-10 9X5. It has been a real joy to learn on. I bought 4 different pups as well, and have settled with the Alumitone on the E9 neck. As I am just learning, I don't use the E-Frets very often so I don't become totally dependent on them, but they do help a lot above the 15th fret. It has been an inspiration to learn such an incredible musical instrument, on such a fine example of one.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

C'mon, you can't just tease us like that without pics! :D
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Ernie Hays

Post by Ernie Hays »

Ordered My MSA Legend in March at Dallas Show ,Mark is supposed to start on the cabinet first of September can't wait to hear it's been shipped
Rains S10,Sho~Bud Superpro,LTD 400,400 Limited,500 Peavy session 500,Telonics 500-c amp,MSA legend on order
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

Here ya go, Matthew!
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

She's a beauty Cody - very similar to mine, but I'm sure you'll do it more justice than I'll ever be able to.
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

Thank you for kind words, Bobby! Yours is beautiful too!
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

Gorgeous!
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112