Anyone using Logic Pro to record Steel??

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Fogarty

Anyone using Logic Pro to record Steel??

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Anyone using Logic Pro to record steel? I've been working on some background music for a video series, and did one country waltz with my Stage One. I simply could not find a decent clean amp sim in Logic, so I ended up going direct and just adding some compression, eq and reverb. Pretty happy with the sound.....but a good amp sim might be less sterile? What do you think?

BTW.....I haven't been playing steel all that long, and hadn't sat down behind it in months, so be gentle on the playing, please!!

(steel kicks in @ :24)

https://soundcloud.com/jim-fogarty-3190 ... background
Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

I've been playing with Garageband a lot lately and haven't been too thrilled with the amp sims either. I think what you came up with sounds really good, clean and clear. Nice chill track too, well done.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Colin Swinney wrote:I've been playing with Garageband a lot lately and haven't been too thrilled with the amp sims either. I think what you came up with sounds really good, clean and clear. Nice chill track too, well done.
Thanks, Colin......I'm having fun putting together these tracks with Logic.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

There are several 3rd party amp sim plugins that are compatible with Logic and work well with steel guitar. Bias Amp from Positive Grid is nice and it's not too expensive:

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/

I'm still on the original Bias Amp, not the '2' version, but I may try it. Tommy Detamore turned me on to this particular plug, and he's shared a couple of his amp modeling setups to the big ToneCloud 'library' that is accessible to all users. I just downloaded his patches and tweaked a bit to my taste. They're much better than anything I'd tried before.

Looks like there's a promotional on the 'Standard' version at the moment, 59.00, regularly 99.00.
Andre Dardeau

Post by Andre Dardeau »

It’s a little pricey but I use a Two Notes Torpedo live to run my Super Reverb directly into Logic and it sounds great.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Logic only runs on OS2, right?
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

There are Neve, API, and Pultec style EQs under EQ ->Vintage EQ collection. They might give you the extra gain and shaping you're looking for, and with a little added color. If you don't see them there then you'll want to update to the current version of Logic. I don't know exactly when they added them but it's a fairly recent addition.
Dick Chapple Sr

song

Post by Dick Chapple Sr »

Jim that sounds great to me. If I could duplicate that right now I'd be a happy clam. Also listened to that shortie that followed with you on reso. Like it lots!! Both clean and uncluttered.
Dick :) :) :)
Jim Fogarty

Re: song

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Dick Chapple Sr wrote:Jim that sounds great to me. If I could duplicate that right now I'd be a happy clam. Also listened to that shortie that followed with you on reso. Like it lots!! Both clean and uncluttered.
Dick :) :) :)
Thanks so much, Dick! Very nice of you. I'm having a blast with this stuff.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Brett Lanier wrote:There are Neve, API, and Pultec style EQs under EQ ->Vintage EQ collection. They might give you the extra gain and shaping you're looking for, and with a little added color. If you don't see them there then you'll want to update to the current version of Logic. I don't know exactly when they added them but it's a fairly recent addition.
I've got the latest (just bought it), so I'll check that out. Still finding my way around. Thanks!