My Best Friend

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Lee Johnson

My Best Friend

Post by Lee Johnson »

:( Eight Years Ago Today We Lost My Best Friend Not Only My Best Friend But One Of The Best Men This World Has Ever Known Not only was he a great steel player he was also the designer and maker of the finest steel guitar bars ever made. I think probably every steel player who has tried His Bar would have to agree. None other than The BJS Steel guitar bar Yes we will Miss Him and the Steel Guitar world will miss Him He was none other than the great Billy Joe Stroud . His Bar is still being made and is still the Finest steel guitar bar on the market . BJS Bars as you know By BUTCH GARDNER of 3 WAY TENN> RIP BILLY I will and do Miss you much LEE :( :( :(
Steel Guitar Makes Gospel Music Even Better
James Flaherty

Post by James Flaherty »

I hear ya Lee. Back when I lived in Chicago I went out to see bill a couple of times. He had an awesome machine shop. He could make just about anything you needed. I bought one of his BJS bars and it is always my go to bar. I hate to use any other because it just doesn't feel the same. He is sorely missed.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I never had the opportunity to meet Bill but I know of his legacy by the quality of the BJS bars still in use today. He set the bar on steel guitar tone bars at the highest level.
Jeffrey Smith

Memorable Fella

Post by Jeffrey Smith »

I went to his home to buy an amp. Met his wife and all. Very nice people. He invited me to a steel guitar show. I took my dad along and Bill was there to greet us. He left a lasting impression on me as far as instilling the value of basic human kindness to strangers. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met and I'll never forget him.