Is this really an old MSA?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Myers

Is this really an old MSA?

Post by Joseph Myers »

I stumbled across this from an old Reverb sale and it was advertised as an early MSA. The only thing that said MSA was the pedal cross bar. It uses cable rather than rods.
Anyone know what this is?

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

No, MSA never used a cable mechanism. Reminds me somewhat of an old Domland or Edwards, or someone's home build/mod. Pickups look like very early Sho~Buds, but the (cast?) fretboard is really intriguing! :?:
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

MSA did make cable pull guitars, Junior Knight has one from 1964 I think it is. They also made guitars with wooden keyheads instead of aluminum. These were both several years before the Micro partnership.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Whatever it is, is beautifully made, and I would imagine sounds great. I like cable pull steels , wish someone would make a modern one..... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Joseph Myers

Post by Joseph Myers »

I pretty much figured it wasn't an MSA but I personally like the look of this thing.