What is your favorite distortion pedal?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

For perfect subtle overdrive I use an Earth Drive. I use it for country gigs when I want a vintage swing sound.

For fuzz, overdrive, distortion and all combinations and levels I use a Chase Bliss Brothers.

My favorite for way too much and ridiculous is the Durham Crazy Horse. It goes all the way to a sputtering, blowed up smoke coming out of the top dead amp sound.
Bob
Thomas Sabatini

Post by Thomas Sabatini »

Jeff Mead wrote:Without wanting to go off topic, one of the reasons I went for the Buzz Tone/Boss Tone is because it plugs into the guitar and therefore goes before the volume pedal.

With the more traditional floor pedals, are you still connecting so the distortion is before volume? If not, then as you swell the pedal, doesn't the sound get more distorted rather than stay the same in distortion level and get louder (which presumably is what we usually want?).
Jeff, I think you are absolutely correct. As a user of a BuzzTone variant, I'm guessing we have similar tastes in dirt. As a guitar player planning my plunge into a pedal steel, this is a question close to my heart.

I play std 6-string guitar with a fuzz pedal always on, using the instruments Vol and Tone to shape the dirt. On my board I have a volume pedal to control output volume into a clean amp. This gives infinitely variable shades of dirt -- clean to nuts, fat to bright -- all from the instrument and at any volume.

For PSG, I'm thinking of connecting first to a simple passive though box with 250k Vol and Tone pots (placed near my right hand) feeding an always on fuzz. After the fuzz would be the active volume pedal under PSG feeding my guitar's pedal board for master volume and FX.

Has anyone tried this? Am I missing an obvious problem?

EDIT: To answer the OP's questions, Paul Trombetta fuzzes are great. I also love FuzzFace pedals. As for overdrives, I've only gotten along with Menatone's amp-in-a-box pedals and a ToneFactor Mule (identical to a Way Huge Red Llama). I have no experience with any of these with a PSG, so feel free to disregard completely this post. :mrgreen:
Maleek Evans

Big muff

Post by Maleek Evans »

The green Russian big muff does it for me! You can have that mild distortion and then turn the sustain up a little to get that nice cut through fuzz distortion my settings are quite low.
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Tony Prior wrote:Image
Thanks Tony I need a dirt box for steel and I'm not playing Electric Guitar. I have one of those on my guitar board. I'll give that a try.
Laquered MSA Classic D10 8+5
Sho-Bud Pro 1
Various Dobro and Banjos
Fender Telecaster Guitars
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

Earth Drive.. my favorite pedal
Michael Deering

distorsion

Post by Michael Deering »

I stick with ANALOGMAN PRODUCTS for great service and top end electronics.
1939 & 1940 RICKENBACHER B6'S
FENDER STEELKING, FENDER 5F1
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Don't use it all. The steel guitar is too beautiful an instrument to ruin the lush, beautiful tone with distortion.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

LOL.... For Distortion", which is mandatory for authentic 70's, 80's, rock especially when you don't have a lead guitar player. I love Brad Sarno's "Solar Flare" Pedal. For heavy rock, violin bow draws, and Sacred Steel, i use Lawrence Petross's "68 Drive". Designed after the 1968 Marshall Plexi 12,000 Series Amplifier. Both are top shelf. The Lawrence Petross 68 Drive, i also use for a nice violin, viola, cello simulation. It has a sweet singing sustain to it, much like doing a long fiddle bow draw. I own and regularly use both of Brad Sarno's fuzz/distortion pedals. The "Earth Drive" and the "Solar Flare". Either one are great pedals. I think one can most definitely play the steel guitar beautifully with, and without distortion. Distortion is like any other tool we can use, such as echo, reverb, string effect...on and on, it's not to be over used, or used in every song. But beautiful none the less. :D :D :D :D
Hal Braun

Post by Hal Braun »

I have the Wren and Cuff Caprid fuzz, which is very flexible, reacts to volume well and just sounds great for that distorted tone on the William with the Alumitone.. for just overdrive I have an older Timmy pedal that works just right..
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Jeff Mead wrote: With the more traditional floor pedals, are you still connecting so the distortion is before volume? If not, then as you swell the pedal, doesn't the sound get more distorted rather than stay the same in distortion level and get louder (which presumably is what we usually want?).
I like the effect of the volume pedal changing how much signal is pushed into the OD/Dist/Fuzz pedal(s). That's how it works for lead guitarists, it is part of how we manipulate our tone. More gain into the pedal for higher saturation, less gain to ease it off and just add a bit of dirt to the sound.
Hal Braun

Post by Hal Braun »

Chris Walke wrote:
Jeff Mead wrote: With the more traditional floor pedals, are you still connecting so the distortion is before volume? If not, then as you swell the pedal, doesn't the sound get more distorted rather than stay the same in distortion level and get louder (which presumably is what we usually want?).
I like the effect of the volume pedal changing how much signal is pushed into the OD/Dist/Fuzz pedal(s). That's how it works for lead guitarists, it is part of how we manipulate our tone. More gain into the pedal for higher saturation, less gain to ease it off and just add a bit of dirt to the sound.
^ this! It’s when the tone cleans up at lower volume and then gets nasty with more.. some pedals are better than others and is one of the reasons I got the Caprid. Same with the overdrive pedals.. Chuck Campbell uses this to great effect when he is out playing on the Hendrix tour..
Brandon Mills

Post by Brandon Mills »

Heavy Electronics HWY 77
Devon Teran

Post by Devon Teran »

I've got a germanium Fuzz Face clone from a hobby builder. I flipped it on in rehearsal one day as a joke, but it just worked too perfectly. Now I'm chasing that tone in an easier format to gig with. I recently got an old steel driver II, and I love the distortion on guitar, but not as much for steel because it seems to only use one side or the other, so I don't get the tone control before the distortion.

Others that work well:
Analogman KOT
JHS Super Bolt
Rat style pedals

My favorite, by far is the Fuzz Face though. It responds so beautifully to the volume pedal and distorts in a beautiful fat, but cutting way. I dare say, it's actually a lot nicer for steel than it is for guitar.
Devon Teran

Post by Devon Teran »

I've got a germanium Fuzz Face clone from a hobby builder. I flipped it on in rehearsal one day as a joke, but it just worked too perfectly. Now I'm chasing that tone in an easier format to gig with. I recently got an old steel driver II, and I love the distortion on guitar, but not as much for steel because it seems to only use one side or the other, so I don't get the tone control before the distortion.

Others that work well:
Analogman KOT
JHS Super Bolt
Rat style pedals

My favorite, by far is the Fuzz Face though. It responds so beautifully to the volume pedal and distorts in a beautiful fat, but cutting way. I dare say, it's actually a lot nicer for steel than it is for guitar.
GaryL

Distortion

Post by GaryL »

#1 Pro-Co Rat
#2 Voodoo Lab Fuzz
#3 Fuzz-Face

The Rat is what I use now. But the other two are good.
Emmons LeGrande D-10
GFI Ultra D-10 keyless
Quilter SteelAire
Gabriel Edell

Post by Gabriel Edell »

I just started using overdrive on my steel. The pedals I use for my regular guitar didn't work that well IMHO. I have an old TubeWorks RealTube that I've had kicking around for 20 years or so that I have never been that happy with. I tried it on my steel and it sounds great - way better than the other units. Go figure. Of course it's AC-powered and it's big and heavy.
GFI S-10 P U, Moyo Volume, Fender Steel King, Fender 5F4 Super-Amp
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Tommy Shown said:
Don't use it all. The steel guitar is too beautiful an instrument to ruin the lush, beautiful tone with distortion.
You must be playing pedal steel as a "style" - which it's not.

It's a musical instrument with a wide range of stylistic applications - and a ton of tonal options available, to fit the song and the style of music.

Sure, you could play clean country and.or jazz on pedal steel. As has been done for decades. but adding the right type and level of "distortion" can allow you to play stacked horn sections, or strings, or unique. warm/round sounds that aren't available on any other instrument.

Certainly nothing to complain about. So what *IS* the problem with stretching the envelope of musical capabilities?
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional