An Interesting Lloyd Green Article

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy DePaule

An Interesting Lloyd Green Article

Post by Andy DePaule »

An Interesting Lloyd Green Article :D
https://www.vintageguitar.com/3683/lloyd-green/
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

interesting...i never heard a version of girl on the billboard by del reeves that had steel on it.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Dave Campbell wrote:interesting...i never heard a version of girl on the billboard by del reeves that had steel on it.
The strange sound effect at 2:07 was done on steel. "I'd better get the @$%#^ on my way"
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Thank You Andy for this post. A very good read about Lloyd that I would of missed otherwise. Lots of good information. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Richard Stoops

Lloyd Green article

Post by Richard Stoops »

Fantastic article, great read!
Emmons and Rittenberry Steel guitars plus assorted 6 string guitars
Andy DePaule

Another Forumite sent it to me

Post by Andy DePaule »

J R Rose wrote:Thank You Andy for this post. A very good read about Lloyd that I would of missed otherwise. Lots of good information. J.R.
Hi JR,
Another Forumite sent it to me. He is the fellow selling a real nice Sho Bud Crossover in the for sale section of the forum.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=345164

I sure learned a lot reading that and Lloyd is one of my favorite players.
Also thought it was a great article.
Was surprised to see he had a Sho Bud Crossover and used it on DIVORCE. Also that he put the E's to F on pedal 1...

Then I remembered that a lot of the early PSG's before knee levers were standard had it on that pedal with the AB pedals on 2&3 and lowering the E's was on pedal 4.
One Cable Sierra I had before also had the B's to Bb on pedal 5 and the 2nd & 9th string lowers on pedal 6. The idea was that when you wanted to lower those you'd take your right foot off the volume and wank down on the 5th or 6th pedal.

One thing I find really weird is how Lloyd has his pedals like Emmons but has the E's to F on LKR? He must have double jointed ankles or something! :whoa: :lol:

Anyway, it is a great article.
Andy :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Thanks, Andy! That is a great article about Lloyd. His recall of the details is remarkable. Every time I read an article, or hear an interview it fills in the picture a little more.

Lloyd Green is an amazing guy. I love his playing. He is still doing new work, and it's brilliant. A real inspiration!
Andy DePaule

Indeed, An amazing man.

Post by Andy DePaule »

Indeed, An amazing man.
Someone once told me he's a member of MENSA. Not sure if thats true, but he is a genius in my book. :D
Alan Murphy

Post by Alan Murphy »

Hi Andy,
Yes he is a Mensa member, I used to have an old recording of an interview with Wally Whyton the BBC presenter of Country Club in the UK, it was mentioned then, must have been early 1980's
Andy DePaule

I wonder why?

Post by Andy DePaule »

I wonder why I've never ran into him at a MENSA get together? :?:
Oh I remember why! They never invited me! :whoa: :lol:
Marco Schouten

Re: Another Forumite sent it to me

Post by Marco Schouten »

Andy DePaule wrote:
J R Rose wrote:Thank You Andy for this post. A very good read about Lloyd that I would of missed otherwise. Lots of good information. J.R.

Was surprised to see he had a Sho Bud Crossover and used it on DIVORCE. Also that he put the E's to F on pedal 1...

Actually Lloyd used a Sho-Bud Fingertip on DIVORCE. I also don't think that Lloyd had a Sho-Bud Crossover, I think that his Sho-Bud Baldwin guitar was a forerunner of the Professional, it still used the rack and barrels system and had an aluminium frame, like the Crossover. Only very few of those guitars were built.
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Andy DePaule

Re: Another Forumite sent it to me

Post by Andy DePaule »

Marco Schouten wrote:
Andy DePaule wrote:

Actually Lloyd used a Sho-Bud Fingertip on DIVORCE. I also don't think that Lloyd had a Sho-Bud Crossover, I think that his Sho-Bud Baldwin guitar was a forerunner of the Professional, it still used the rack and barrels system and had an aluminium frame, like the Crossover. Only very few of those guitars were built.
I had also thought he had a fingertip at that time until I read the article. Maybe the writer was wrong or misunderstood?
I know for sure when Lloyd spoke about that on stage last year at the Dallas Jamboree he referred to having just got the F lever and fooling with it when the producer heard him and asked him to do that on DIVORCE.
Maybe if someone is friends with Lloyd they could ask him to clarify?
If anyone should know it will be him.
Andy :?: :D
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Andy, Lloyd asked me to confirm to you that he did play his Fingertip Sho-Bud on D-I-V-O-R-C-E.
Andy DePaule

Thanks Marco

Post by Andy DePaule »

Thanks Marco,
Often writers get details wrong. They just don't know the subject as well as us who are much more involved.
Tell Lloyd I really love his playing and enjoyed seeing him at the Dallas show last year.
Before that the last time I saw him play was at Scotty's about 1980 just when he had done the Lloyds Of Nashville album.
I think he also performed with some of the Byrds at a place on Sunset Blvd in LA about June of 1968? I can't remember if that was him for sure?
Best wishes,
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Article is from 2008. Great read. Rich Kienzle is a fantastic roots music journalist.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Liked it very much. Great find.
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore