Do you think I'm Greedy

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nick Reed

Do you think I'm Greedy

Post by Nick Reed »

QUESTION: I've kinda had to put a hault on "playing freebies". It had got where people would call with a suck up speech praising my talents. Some of you know the drill, telling you how great of a steel player you are. Then here it comes, they ask . . . . can you play a benefit or a venue where there would be no pay for the band, but how you'd be doing them a great service. Then after you agree to it, they're either charging folks to get it, or they have a 50/50 going or other ways of generating income for the powers at be. Well enough is enough and I'm NO LONGER taking on any of these so called "golden opportunities". Some say I'm greedy, but how do you guys feel about it.
Last edited by Nick Reed on 16 May 2019 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duane Brown

Playing Freebies

Post by Duane Brown »

I quit playing "to get more exposure" after the band I worked in played an all-day marathon for Jerry Lewis' telethon. No "thank you", "go to hell" or any other acknowledgement. To top it off the only other people in the building were other entertainers. The people in charge would pass a bucket around after every act was done- so we play free and are expected to donate money as well?? I said "no more" then and have never done it again for the last 40 years. I have volunteered to do a few fundraisers for people I know or families of those I knew/know.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

The same thing happens when you get a pickup truck, Nick. People you haven't heard from in years suddenly want to "reconnect". They even have a date in mind - why don't you swing by and visit this Saturday with your new truck ...and help us move!
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I have found from experience that when I play a benefit or fund raiser, those are the ones who complain about it being too loud. Usually not me per say but the PA in general. I sure do not mind helping others but sometimes it is frustrating. Simply put, todays society is harder to please than they were years ago.
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

"people die from exposure"
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

Our little group has done some freebies to gain exposure back when we were first trying to get established. Sometimes it paid off and sometimes it did not. Its the chance you have to take.

However, I totally agree with Nick and Paul when asked to play for free and the some of the participants are getting paid. Being taken advantage of is not a good trait and can quickly sour you on when trying to do favors for people.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

For me, it depends what the benefit is for. I would have played that all day Jerry Lewis telethon gig. I have played them in the past, but not all day. If I believe in the charity, I have no problem, but too many times is not cool. I have actually been asked to play free to play free for the leader's sister who wanted to landscape her yard. Really!!??!! That band and I parted ways after I got too much grief about not playing.

Medical charities (St. JUDES, Cancer research, etc...), veterans, are a no brainer for me.

I don't "need" exposure. And I don't play in startup bands. I don't need to be in a band that rehearses for 6 months with no real prospect for gigs.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

Nope. I'll only do freebies for people who I have a good rapport with. First gig? Not a chance. I used to do free studio work for Belmont students since I went there, but most of them that call are no better than anyone else. Playing at home costs less than playing a free show.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

Only time I will play for free is if it is for a legitimate benefit. Done some Gospel Concerts at local Church's. I remember years ago the local Taverns always wanted bands to come and play on a Sunday (For Free) so they could make a profit. No auditions either.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I play for free at true benefit shows, shows that raise money for people that really need it. Many people played to help me decades ago when I was in a really bad accident, and I feel it's only right that I should do the same. I sometimes do play out just for fun, but I don't audition or do "battle of the bands" stuff.

I have my own "rules" for what I do, and I don't much care what anybody else does.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I do play for free if it's a church or nursing home. :D
Erv
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

No Nick, not greedy at all...
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

No you are not greedy. It is your investment in a lot of expensive equipment, your transportation there and back, and your back lifting and moving everything. Not to mention set up and tear down.
If it was something I believed in like the Children's Hospital, or a fellow musician having problems, I would have played it. I quit playing for exposure many many years ago.
They used to complain about how much I would charge and say we only want you to play 30 or 40 minutes. I would tell them I would play for free, but I had to charge for moving and seting up the equipment.
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Here is how our band works around this situation.

There are several non-profits in the area that have big annual fundraisers where there is a dinner, dance, and auction.

The non-profit will hire our band to play, and pay us a fair fee for our services.

Then, we "donate" the band as an auction item.

Sometimes our band will be bundled with a bbq/cooking team.

The auction gets started and the non-profit sells us for a lot more than we were paid for our services ... a lot.

So, we are paid for our services on the night of the fund raiser. The non-profit makes a bunch of money when we are "sold" at auction. Win / Win.

Now, we do play for "free" for the person who won the auction; but, many times they never contact us to play. More often than not, when they do contact us, it is for a small, private party. These private parties are always fun and there is always lots of good food and beverages. We usually end up the night with another booking.

We are playing tomorrow evening (Saturday) for an auction winner. It will be out on a private ranch, near a small lake.

It's rewarding to play for someone who is willing to make a large contribution to a good non-profit organization.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

When someone offers an NCI gig (No Cash Involved), I just tell them I am currenly only accepting BPG's (Better Paying Gigs).
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

Not greedy...pragmatic would be the term I'd use. Paid gigs usually have better players. I play for the opportunity to make music with excellent musicians. If the band is really, really good, I'd play for nothing. I also play with a jazz group and gas money is the norm...best music = lowest money.
b0b

Post by b0b »

The non-profits I've worked for pay the band. It's often less than market rate for casuals. Sometimes the band donates their proceeds. Fine with me. I won't play for causes I don't believe in.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Nick - you have every right to play when, where, and for whom you decide you want to. If you and the rest of your band think a gig makes sense for you, by whatever reasoning makes sense for you, do it. Otherwise, you shouldn't let anybody guilt you into thinking you owe them anything or convince you that you're being "greedy".

I do play benefits sometimes, sometimes paid, sometimes not. I usually expect that the other people involved in a freebie benefit also have some freebie skin in the game. It generally grinds my ass playing a freebie benefit for which a bunch of non-benefitees are making piles of money. Sometimes I play for nothing just because it's such an interesting gig. Sometimes I leave decisions like this to the consensus of the bands I'm in, but sometimes I decide to go my own way. But the big thing is that I don't like being used without my full and willing consent. If people think that's greedy, so be it, but I don't think it is.

Hey, good seeing you at NTSGA in April. We'll be down sometime this summer, think Don is coming up from Texas too. See you then.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Greedy ? NO.

Nothing wrong with NO, I'm not available. Further discussion not even necessary !
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

I played on the road every weekend in a gospel band 5 years for free while the leader took in money to keep the bus running. It didnt bother me till it did start bothering me when I saw how much was coming in.

So now I'll play occasionally for a benefit for a needy family in distress. I also play keyboard for our church for free. No Problem there. I am compensated pretty well for our Friday and sat gigs.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

Not greedy at all. If they could prove that the caterers, waiters, bartenders, etc. are all donating their time as well, then sure, I guess there is an argument to be made. But to say your time and skill are worthless is just gaslighting.
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Somebody posted this Craigslist ad here on the forum awhile back and I saved it because it is so great 😎

A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Tim Sheinman

Post by Tim Sheinman »

Barry Blackwood, your poster looks like it says

'I have Gills, just like you'

This made me laugh a lot. So thank you!
Williams Ext.E9, ToneTron, Hilton
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

You're welcome, Tin.. :lol:
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

WHOOAAA Brooks!!! Great analogy...love it 8)