What is your favorite distortion pedal?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kristen Bruno

What is your favorite distortion pedal?

Post by Kristen Bruno »

For those who occasionally use distortion for blues on PEDAL steel, what do you use? It seems like the distortions I use on slide guitar or lap steel guitar do not quite cut it for pedal steel. Not "earthy" enough.
Not really been happy with the distortions from some multi effects I have tried either. Maybe I am setting them wrong.

Any you folks have a go-to pedal or even multi effect pedal to give you a decent distortion on pedal steel?

Thanks
K
"Technology has given us the ability to repeat all the mistakes we have learned from history, but much faster, deadlier and with much greater accuracy" - KAB
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I have the latest Ibanez Tube Screamer and so far it's not that great as it seems very grainy and raspy at the lighter distortion settings. I'm using it with the re-issue Sweetwater Princeton Reverb, 12" speaker. Have had the best luck with setting the amp volume low and setting the Screamer's gain to overdrive the amp's input stage.
Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 15 May 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I like both the Sarno Earth Drive and the Voo Doo Labs Sparkle Drive. Alot will depend on the guitar and amp you're using.
Tom Dillon

Post by Tom Dillon »

I use an original Hermida Audio Zendrive, before the volume pedal. It sounds perfect to me with every amp or pickup I've used it with. I also use a Sarno Solar Flare sometimes. Its' sound is in the same ballpark I think.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

My favorite that I have used is a Damage Control Liquid Blues pedal. Has 2 12ax7 tubes. But, it's footprint is about 3 of the normal Boss pedals.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 22 May 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

X-otic effects BB Preamp with a compressor before it, both before the volume pedal. The BB has a very “organic” sound to me. I set it about 1/2 way or a little less on the gain, then boost the compressor to drive it more when I want it nasty. I don’t care much for the germanium “fuzz” type, but an earthy overdrive works for me.
I also have a Fulltone Plimsoul which is pretty good.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Larry Petree

Distortion

Post by Larry Petree »

Through many years, I have tried several units. My favorite is the Goodrich Steel Driver III. A plus is that it has the Goodrich 7-A also built in the unit.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

This is my favourite. Old school and quirky but I love it.

https://mahoneyguitargear.com/product8.htm
George Kimery

What is your favorite distortion pedal

Post by George Kimery »

Bobbe Seymour was using a RAT in one of his lectures. Sounded good to me, so I bought one.I don't use distortion any more, so I sold t, but I did think it was a good unit. Liked it much better than the Boss Tone.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

I have three different pedals, but I keep coming back to the Golden Cello. It just sounds the best with my 'Bud.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Mike Bacciarini

Post by Mike Bacciarini »

An Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini works for me. Usually a subtle amount is all I use.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

If you have a typical pedal steel amp with a 15 heavy duty speaker, IMO, you won’t find a distortion pedal that will give you that “Bad to the Bone” vibe

I have tried many distortion/overdrive pedals to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions I’ll always keep an open mind.
I survived the sixties!
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Without wanting to go off topic, one of the reasons I went for the Buzz Tone/Boss Tone is because it plugs into the guitar and therefore goes before the volume pedal.

With the more traditional floor pedals, are you still connecting so the distortion is before volume? If not, then as you swell the pedal, doesn't the sound get more distorted rather than stay the same in distortion level and get louder (which presumably is what we usually want?).
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Joseph Carlson

Post by Joseph Carlson »

I'm constantly buying and selling pedals, but the only one I will never sell in my Sarno Earth Drive. Pretty much my favorite dirt pedal ever.

Take a look at the list of users on their site: http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/ed.html
The Earth Drive is the ultimate boost/overdrive pedal, designed to retain your instrument's natural character while providing an organic, full-bodied, yet transparent sound. Use the Earth Drive as a clean boost to add warmth and smoothing, or turn up the drive knob and get a wide spectrum of overdrive harmonics and singing sustain. The Earth Drive has a huge range of boost control with its volume knob, while the tone knob helps you perfectly dial in the treble response. Whether you play bass, pedal-steel, electric piano, electric guitar, organ, whatever, the Earth Drive is quite possibly the most useful and versatile drive pedal you've ever heard.
Hugo Knef

Post by Hugo Knef »

Earth Drive!!
Williams S10 moyo mini Quilter TT12
Fred

Post by Fred »

It’s not strictly a distortion pedal, but I always come back to the original Sans Amp
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Love my Sarno Earth Drive, it's the best of any I have tried by a long way ... very creamy but has some bite.
A very close second would be the Benado Steel Dream NutraDrive.. also very creamy !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
David Cook

what is your favorite distortion pedal

Post by David Cook »

Can anyone tell me what the Sarno solar flare is similar too. Like the OCD or Rat?
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Another vote for the ProCo Rat. I've had old ones and new ones and I couldn't tell any difference in sound, but some users swear the old ones are better.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I also use a Rat. I also have an old (70s) EHX Big Muff. Some day I'll A B them and see if maybe I like the Big Muff more. But for now the Rat is in my
Pac-a-seat, and the Big Muff is in a drawer.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I think these two are classified as overdrive pedals, but the Hotone Bad Horse, a copy of a Klon pedal, and a Skyline Grass pedal, which is a Dumble style pedal, both work great for pedal steel. I've been using a Rat pedal on guitar for years but it just seemed too much for pedal steel. The Bad Horse puts a little edge on it and you get a mild distortion out of it when you turn the gain up all the way. The Grass pedal clips really well and reminds me of a LP through a Marshall stack type sound. I love the Bad Horse the best for 6 string cause I can use the Rat for more distortion, but the Grass pedal gets pretty much all of the distortion I would ever want to use on a pedal steel.
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

The Wampler Dual Fusion produces just about every imaginable distortion tone including those with little gain or distortion. It does it in a way that keeps or even increases dynamics and touch sensitivity.

https://wamplerpedals.com/shop-wampler/ ... ual-fusion

I prefer version 1 that can probably be purchased used.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

The Zoom MS-100 and MS-50 stomp boxes have some pretty good models of the RAT pedal as well as many others. I haven't had a RAT for a few years, I just use the Zoom when I need that sound.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Randle Cole

over drive

Post by Randle Cole »

having gone thru many many pedals i have stayed with
1. sarno earth drive
2. menatone red snapper
3. vemuram jan ray

all three have their own voice