pete drake

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Krumel

pete drake

Post by Joe Krumel »

at the risk of being called non progressive,living in the past etc, I just have to bring Pete Drake up for a curtain call! I can't get over how sweet this playing is!
https://youtu.be/zsaQoSBJ7PQ
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

Joe, You are right on with Pete Drake!!! I would have to say that Pete and Lloyd Green are close to my favorites. I also love the Sho Bud sound. Nothing compares to the tone of a Bud.
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Kevin, years ago I had a red pro ll with duane marrs name under it. music city manufacturing era. I agree with you on the Bud sound. Pete makes them sing!
Donny Hinson

Re: pete drake

Post by Donny Hinson »

Joe Krumel wrote:at the risk of being called non progressive,living in the past etc, I just have to bring Pete Drake up for a curtain call! I can't get over how sweet this playing is!
In my own little mind, Pete was more "progressive" than many players we have nowadays. I've heard a few pros speak disparagingly about him, but he gets my respect, without a doubt. :wink:
Bobby Nelson

Post by Bobby Nelson »

One of my favorites - I've been listening to this since I was a kid.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

The first steel album I ever acquired was Pete. I did not wear it out but I tried. Still have it.
Joe Krumel

pete drake album

Post by Joe Krumel »

Dave, I still have a pete drake album I picked up at flea mkt.35+ yrs. ago. a song on it called Hal's that"always got to me.
Joe Krumel

song title error

Post by Joe Krumel »

Dave, the song was My bluest day, not Hals that!
Pete did a nice job on it....joe
https://youtu.be/RMwR1kXuGzk
Fred Treece

Re: pete drake

Post by Fred Treece »

Donny Hinson wrote:In my own little mind, Pete was more "progressive" than many players we have nowadays. I've heard a few pros speak disparagingly about him, but he gets my respect, without a doubt. :wink:
+1, Donny.
When Bob Dylan, George Harrison, or Leon Russel wanted steel on their tunes, Pete got the call. He was using the talk box a decade before Frampton Comes Alive. He formed his own record company. If you’re a Pete Drake fan, you are a fan of musical (and business) progress.
Brad Malone

My BLuest Day

Post by Brad Malone »

Pete Drakes' "MY Bluest
Day" was done on C6th..some people say That Pete only played E9th..I really love that song.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmP5jPRz5LQ

I love the intro and turnaround!!!
Ole Pete is very hard to copy.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Listen to Pete's steel intro on the song that Duane posted. It's all in the left channel.

Now listen to it at 1:25 where it starts in the left channel, slowly fades to the right channel then back to the left channel again. That's so cool!
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Greg, I agree, so cool!!
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Pete never got the credit from other psg players that he deserved, if there are any of you that remember when he took over with ET when BE was out recruping from a fall that injured his feet can better appreciate his ability on steel. Pete was proficient on both necks and never got the credit he deserved. Just my humble opinion...Pete Drake was one of the pioneers of pedals that never got the recognition he should have.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Pete Drake was one of the pioneers of pedals that never got the recognition he should have.
Oh please...
Brad Malone

THe Spook

Post by Brad Malone »

I remember when Ralph Emmery used the "SPOOK" for his theme song on WSM. Pete Drake was a very successful Steeler...he ruled the early sixties
Joe Krumel

Post by Joe Krumel »

I'll say it again, Pete had some magic in his playing! Not in the same direction as the master steelers,but he had that something that boosted many careers and bank accounts. He made music. Here is an example of commercial sounds mixed with nice swing with that magic.Crude compared to modern standards,but still interesting.
https://youtu.be/-U-BS9zbo6Q