favorite Greg Leisz solo?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

Not a solo, but I love that he's on this song with this band... And it's darn tootin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRKl6nSypg
Tim Marcus

Post by Tim Marcus »

Rick Schacter wrote:New York City's Killing Me by Ray Lamontagne.
thats actually Eric Heywood playing steel on most of that record - he's great too!
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

Not sure if Frank is still reading this thread, but I also, think the work Greg does with Alison Kraus and Robert Plant is....superb! And I know it's done on a 6 string lapsteel.....does anybody know the tuning? Anybody?
Please?
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

From June 2009 interview with Bill Frisell - Guitar Player Mag:

There’s also something quite extraordinary in the way you interact with Greg Leisz.

Greg is one of these guys where when I met him, I talked to him for a long time, and I just had this feeling that we could play together. Then I found out about all these things he played on that I had heard, but I hadn’t connected his name to. Then I called him on the phone and asked him to play on a record and we’ve been playing together ever since then. I don’t know what it is. We’re close to the same age, and we heard so much of the same music while growing up, that there’s this kind of base common denominator that goes back to our childhoods. But then there was a point, like when I was in high school I started getting more into jazz and went off in that direction, and when he was in high school, he got more into country music, and then 30 years later, when we were all grown up, we met and started playing, and it was like a big circle coming around. I feel like he’s filling in all the other side of my brain—all the stuff that I want to be there that I can’t play myself. We don’t have to think or talk about anything, there’s just a real natural way of playing together. Also, a lot of what I play is like imitating singers. When I play a song I’m trying to play the melody the way a singer would do it, and Greg’s done so much working with singers, he knows exactly what to do intuitively. So if I play that way and he plays the way he plays, it just works. When I look at that pedal-steel thing, it doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s like everything is backward. Also, he’s left-handed and I’m right-handed, and his birthday is exactly six months apart from mine to the day. His is September 18th and mine’s March 18th. It sounds crazy, but there’s some kind of weird balance thing.

Sometimes when you play, your two parts merge in ways that sound almost like a single instrument.

Yes, that’s what it feels like—it just becomes one thing. I said backing me up before, but that’s not really it. It all becomes one unit somehow. I don’t feel like I have to edit what I do, or leave out anything to leave room for him, and I think it’s the same with him. We each are able to leave the other the space they need. He’s always just coming from the inside of the music. - See more at: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/Bil ... LeeL7.dpuf
Paul McEvoy

Post by Paul McEvoy »

Frank Freniere wrote:Greg's production of "Wild Mountain Thyme" on the Steve Fishell-produced "Salute to the Big E" is right up there with Buddy's own.
I can't tell if this is pedal or non-pedal. Anyone know what tuning this is?
Jon Schimek

Post by Jon Schimek »

Ha crazy timing. I just was listening to an old interview with Greg on the Fretboard Journal podcast where he was promoting this album. podcast #66:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcas ... dal-steel/

He seems to say its standard E9 and for this particular track it was a '66 D-10 Emmons push-pull he got at Bobby Seymores... listen around 30 minutes into the podcast for steel lineup. Sounds like he used two amps at once - Milkman Tube Amp (not sure which) and Twin Reverb
MSA Vintage-XL, Pre-RP Mullen
Nashville 400 w/blackbox, Space Echo.
Paul McEvoy

Post by Paul McEvoy »

I listened to that but was too lazy or forgetful to go back. But now I will! Thanks.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

The whole of Teddy Thompsons "Up Front and Down Low", and in particular the solo on "The Worst Is Yet To Come" a Luz Anderson song first done by Merle Haggard, I think

there is lovely steel all over this album
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

All of his work with Rosie Flores, especially "Honky Tonk Moon".
Mike Selecky

Post by Mike Selecky »

The first time I became aware of Greg's great playing was from kd lang's 1989 album "Absolute Torch and Twang" - Greg is all over this recording - here's a few cuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LBSDCExao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqWK8CEKrjQ
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

"Angels flying too close to the ground" with Alison Krauss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rs7etrn-JY