Project Multibender!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tony Boadle

Project Multibender!

Post by Tony Boadle »

I'm currently seeking a Deusenberg Multibender for a picking pal, but whilst waiting, I decided to put one together myself. It was surprisingly straightforward, and I'm happy to share pics and details with anyone who'd like the option of raising a couple of strings 'PSG' style. I tune E6th, which means I can raise the G# and B.
If you have a small workbench and some basic metal-working skills, have a go! Total cost about $5.
The key component is the actual 'bender lever, and one of the pics shows a rough template from an original lever. You'll notice that on this particular guitar, no new holes were needed, even the stop plates were fixed on using double sided tape. I'm particularly pleased with my choice of levers lol.
Finally, note the brass ball-ends on the bridge, to ease string movement. Oh...one more thing...it works! You could easily think you were listening to the basic A and B pedals on a PSG.
Feel free to get in touch with any questions, and good luck!
Russell Adkins

bender

Post by Russell Adkins »

That's very nice , I might give that a shot
Russell Adkins

bender

Post by Russell Adkins »

That's very nice , I might give that a shot
Tony Boadle

Post by Tony Boadle »

Let me know if I can assist from a distance. You'll need access to a small pillar drill if possible (to ensure accurate and straight hole placement), also a thread-cutting tap and small 'locking' springs for the set-screws.
Make the two levers as a pair, cut roughly to shape then bolt tightly together through the centre-hole. Now file to final shape as if they were one piece.
Finally, buy your wife some flowers and chocolates before you start, as you won't see her for a while!
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Great design, and excellent close up pictures.
I have built a few string benders in the past but they were very messy looking. Yours look quite professional and seem very sturdy.

Thanks for posting!
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Thanks for the hint about being your wife flowers!

Please tell me a little bit more about the brass on the nut.
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Tony Boadle

Post by Tony Boadle »

I didn't like the thought of the raising/lowering strings rubbing in their slots on the edge of the bridge. I simply reclaimed some brass ball-ends from used strings, held each one firmly in long-nose pliers, then filed a slot in the edge just wide enough to slip the ball-end over the bridge. Finally a tiny drop of super glue to keep each one in position.
The only variable in the design is where the actual raise and lower stop-screws will make contact with the bridge area once assembled. I simply added a couple of small extra shims in the correct positions to accommodate them.
Note that you'll need one more threaded hole at the top of the lever arm to fit the actual palm lever. You can decide on your own choice of levers material. Any day now, my wife is going to count the cutlery. I'm on borrowed time here guys!
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Thanx Tony!
My guess Is that it may take more than mere flowers when she counts the silverware.
Joe Elk
Jim Wilmoth

Bender

Post by Jim Wilmoth »

That looks great. I'll definitely be reaching out!