1973 MSA S-10 3x3 price?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andrew Kostrna

1973 MSA S-10 3x3 price?

Post by Andrew Kostrna »

Hey guys I’m looking to get back into pedal steel after making the unfortunate decision to sell mine a couple years ago. There’s a 1973MSAS s-10 3x3 for sale at a local shop for 1400. It looks clean and was definitely well cared for. Is this a fair price for this guitar or should I try to talk him down a little bit? All your feedback is appreciated thanks all.
Andrew
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

If its a Classic its a fair deal if in good shape.. Not a great deal, but not bad.. if its a semi classic, meh, not so much.. you can find clean MSA S10 Classic guitars with either 3&4 or sometimes 5&4 in that price range. lacquer body Classic guitars sell higher than mica body classic, and to most ears sound and sustain considerably better than mica ones.. A LOT depends on condition as well.. if its a clapped out, wore out mica, its not a good deal...

Sorry, re read you post, and see its a 73, not a wood body, but mica in those years... I would have to see it, but at that money, I think you can do better.... Throw in another $100 and you are within range of a really decent modern used S10 that will last a lifetime... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Andrew Kostrna

Post by Andrew Kostrna »

For some reason I can’t seam to get a picture uploaded, but it is a classic and it is wood, not mica. You were talking about a modern one around that price point, what steel would you recommend at this price point? Thanks
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Andrew.. If its a wood body classic, and its not all beat up, $1400 is a good price, and thats a very good, professional grade guitar. If its wood however, I don't think it can be a 73.. Those were mica body guitars..

. In the $1400-to say $1700 range you can find a lot of good used steels..

S10 steels by Carter, BMI,Dekley,MSA,GFI, and a dozen other brands pop up all the time in that range, although across the board, prices are trending up each year compared to just a few years ago.. Right off the bat, you will need another knee lever for that MSA which will add $100 or so to the price.. In any case, if you can swing say that dollar figure, there is some good stuff available..

What I would do is post in the Wanted to Buy section of this forum, stating what you want, what you can realistically spend, and see what is offered...Then you will have some choices to think about and research.
you can then post here again about what is most interesting to you and get some good opinions... You have enough to get something pretty good, you just might need a bit of patience.. Look before you leap, and don't be afraid to ask questions here... bob

Andrew Kostrna

Post by Andrew Kostrna »

Thanks for all your help and info bob, super appreciate it.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Andrew, if you PM me I would be happy to share what I know with you. There are some very good steels around in your price range- not brand new, or not "Rolls Royce" brands/models, but you can get a solid reliable pro level pedal steel in your price range... bob

Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Andrew, as we "speak" here, there is a gorgeous Sierra s10 that looks magnificent for sale in the classifieds here, and right in your wheelhouse price wise.. great looker, and NO ONE builds a better pedal steel... bob

Ned Sokol

msa

Post by Ned Sokol »

hi Andrew,sent u a pm.nice to see u back on the forum nedsokol