tuning a new Williams

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Holloman

tuning a new Williams

Post by William Holloman »

Hi guys: A friend brought his new Williams SD10 by today, with some tuning probs. Ended up changing raise rod holes in changer and bell crank. Worked. However, #6 won't lower far enough w/lever. Tuning nuts won't do it. Does the same leverage theory apply to lowering ? Thanks, BILL
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Call bill Rudolph at Williams. He will walk you through it.
Geo
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Make sure the split tuning screw is backed off. It should be the last step of the tuning procedure and should be backed out of the way until you are ready for this last step.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

3 areas I can suggest you look at.

1. Does the guitar have a row of screws at the end of the neck for splits? If so, be sure the finger is moving enough. If not, back out the split screw.

2. Does the guitar have a wound or a plain string? Wound strings take more travel than do plain. Sometimes a wound gets substituted for plain when installing new string sets.

3. If a split screw is not the problem, you need more travel in the linkage. This may involve giving the lever stop more distance.

The greatest amount of change on the lower pull comes with the lower rod in the hole furthest from the body.

Be sure the tuner is not overtuned. Start with the nylon nut at neutral, backed off, not affecting the changer. Tune open, tune raise, tune lower.

Edit: Apologies to Jon. Post wasn't visible when I began typing.
William Holloman

George McLellan wrote:Call bill Rudolph at Williams. He will walk you through it.
Geo
Thanks for your reply Geo. The problem with him, is that he offers NO support for my friend. Very belligerent, even though he was quick to take his money !! With that kind of attitude, MY next guitar will be ANYTHING but a Williams.
William Holloman

Jerry Overstreet wrote:3 areas I can suggest you look at.

1. Does the guitar have a row of screws at the end of the neck for splits? If so, be sure the finger is moving enough. If not, back out the split screw.

2. Does the guitar have a wound or a plain string? Wound strings take more travel than do plain. Sometimes a wound gets substituted for plain when installing new string sets.

3. If a split screw is not the problem, you need more travel in the linkage. This may involve giving the lever stop more distance.

The greatest amount of change on the lower pull comes with the lower rod in the hole furthest from the body.

Be sure the tuner is not overtuned. Start with the nylon nut at neutral, backed off, not affecting the changer. Tune open, tune raise, tune lower.

Edit: Apologies to Jon. Post wasn't visible when I began typing.
Thanks Jerry and Jon. I know NOTHING about the screws on the end plate. Also, can't figure out how to adjust the pedal/lever stops. His guitar has screws at the cross shaft, but a few turns in both directions did nothing. So I'll start with backing off the screw on #6, then see what happens.
Greg Milton

Post by Greg Milton »

Woah Bill, Bill Rudolph is NEVER belligerent or unhelpful or has 'attitude'. Do you have direct experience of this or is this hearsay?
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Customer service is always great. When I had a similar problem he politely directed me to the Williams website where there are instructions for tuning splits.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Bill has always went out of his way to help. Something else must be happening.

You need to have someone else with experience to work on it before it gets worse.
Last edited by Ron Hogan on 19 Jan 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Holloman

Ian Rae wrote:Customer service is always great. When I had a similar problem he politely directed me to the Williams website where there are instructions for tuning splits.
Thanks Greg and Ian. Possibly my friend caught him on a bad day.
Greg: I've looked on their website, but can't find the piece on tuning splits. Can you help? Thanks
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

William Holloman

Thanks so much Jon.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

richard burton wrote:If it has 'split' tuning screws at the top of the changer (see photo), check that they are not stopping the strings from lowering to pitch

Photo of the neck end so called split screws. These are what I was referring to. If the guitar has these, they are the boss. There must be enough slack there to allow the lower finger to reach the desired note.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

If you have a problem with the Rudolph boys, it's YOUR problem, not theirs. :roll:
Erv
William Holloman

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
richard burton wrote:If it has 'split' tuning screws at the top of the changer (see photo), check that they are not stopping the strings from lowering to pitch

Photo of the neck end so called split screws. These are what I was referring to. If the guitar has these, they are the boss. There must be enough slack there to allow the lower finger to reach the desired note.
Thanks.
William Holloman

Erv Niehaus wrote:If you have a problem with the Rudolph boys, it's YOUR problem, not theirs. :roll:
Erv

Irv: It's not ME with the problem...it's my friend. He said Rudolph was hateful to him when he asked for advice about his NEW guitar.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

What was the reason the owner thought the new instrument needed to be fixed?
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

something doesn't add up. I obtained an old Williams from the 80s last year and contacted Bill more than once with several questions. he was quick to reply and very polite and thorough. I was most impressed
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

William,
Then I guess HE has a problem. :roll:
Erv
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Pete Burak wrote:What was the reason the owner thought the new instrument needed to be fixed?
EXACTLY! ?????
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
William Holloman

Pete Burak wrote:What was the reason the owner thought the new instrument needed to be fixed?
OK. Here's what I was told on several occasions by my friend. Again, it's not me. Friend ordered a new guitar, and when it arrived, the rear end plate was scarred from a screw through the case..too long. He said it played fine, and had the right amount of free play in the pedals. When he got it back, there was no play, and impossible to tune. He called Mr. Rudolph to ask what advice to correct without sending it back. He was told free play was not needed.."that's how the big boys want 'em". Not what HE wanted. When he mentioned Jeff Newman's videos say different, Mr.R said.."that's the worst thing that ever happened to psg". W. website even endorses free play. Friend is BRAND NEW to psg. Sorry this is so long. BILL
William Holloman

Erv Niehaus wrote:William,
Then I guess HE has a problem. :roll:
Erv
Sorry I misspelled your name Erv.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

William,
Not a problem. :D
Erv
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Since I've played one of his guitars for 12 years and chatted numerous times with him on the phone and in person,I will say he has been extremely helpful any time I needed help.He at times has a slight dry sense of humor which can come across in a negative way but I never felt he talked down or had no time for me.

All in all, I really believe Bill is a wonderful person who like many of us,have a bad day now and then but it's not typically his nature.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
William Holloman

Dick Wood wrote:Since I've played one of his guitars for 12 years and chatted numerous times with him on the phone and in person,I will say he has been extremely helpful any time I needed help.He at times has a slight dry sense of humor which can come across in a negative way but I never felt he talked down or had no time for me.

All in all, I really believe Bill is a wonderful person who like many of us,have a bad day now and then but it's not typically his nature.
Dick: Maybe it WAS dry humor that wasn't noticed.
Thanks to all for your help and comments. CASE CLOSED.