tuning

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Bradley

tuning

Post by Frank Bradley »

This may sound elementary, but I've tried different chromatic tuning for my D10 - BMI 8 pedal, 7 lever and just can't find a sound that suits me. What do you recommend?
Vintage BMI D-10/8-7, Goodrich 6122 pedal, Fender Twin Reverb.
Sam Conomo

tuning

Post by Sam Conomo »

hi ,
firstly i am joking,
but it did work for.
play a 50 dollar banjo for a week ,the week after try the bagpipes.
there is no tuning problem after that experiment.
sorry ,i realy cant cant,but had to have abit of fun,
i hope someone on the forum can advise you,
sam,
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Frank, you say you've tried "different chromatic tuning" but you don't explain what it is you don't like about the standard one.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Frank Bradley

tunning

Post by Frank Bradley »

sorry for not making myself clearer on this. What I'm looking for is 440 tuning settings for each string. Such as E @ 440... G @ 442... etc. I've seen different variations for each string including E & B at 442 instead of 440. Hope this helps... I appreciate any suggestions.
Bob Hoffnar

Re: tunning

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Frank Bradley wrote:sorry for not making myself clearer on this. What I'm looking for is 440 tuning settings for each string. Such as E @ 440... G @ 442... etc. I've seen different variations for each string including E & B at 442 instead of 440. Hope this helps... I appreciate any suggestions.
Frank, My advise is to pick any system at all and and then practice playing in tune. Every pedalsteel tuning system has its major flaws that cannot be avoided. Nothing is perfect. Our western system of harmony is deeply flawed when it comes to intonation.

Personally I used to tune beats out by ear. It suited what I was doing until it didn't. Now I tune straight up on a tuner. Those systems are in direct conflict and both work depending on my ability to play in tune.

Many people use offsets on tuners and are happy with it. The main thing is to decide on something and then focus on your hands and ears. As you progress the whole tuning thing just gets more and more weird so don't go too nuts about it !
Bob
b0b

Post by b0b »

Here's what I recommend. The logic behind it and possible tweaks are explained on my blog at https://b0b.com/wp/?p=3858

As for C6th, I recommend meantone. Explanation here:
https://b0b.com/infoedu/WellTemperedC6th.html

-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Frank Bradley

Tuning

Post by Frank Bradley »

Thanks everyone... you’ve been very helpful