Gary Carter cover

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andras Dancsak

Gary Carter cover

Post by Andras Dancsak »

Greetings from Hungary with this Billy Joel adaptation. Thanks for the original for Gary Carter. RESPECT.

https://youtu.be/Ceyx52AMRcI
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

Andras - that's a very nice cover of Gary Carter's great cover of Billy Joel's song. :) I believe Gary Carter drops his 10th string to G#. How did you handle the tuning and voicing as you figured out your arrangement?
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Very nice! The old Bud sounds great
Andras Dancsak

Post by Andras Dancsak »

Hi Rick!

Thanks!

So my old Sho~Bud has different copedent as Gary's Zumsteel. I had to think a bit to find the almost same sounding licks on my setup. It's the most difficult one that I learnd until now. Unusual vertical bar movements, empty strings, chimes, tempo changes, pick block/palm block combinations etc. That was a really good challenge to learn.

Regards
Andras "Dunn Chuck"
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Beautiful rendering of Gary's version of this tune. Not easy to pick up his subtleties.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Congratulations, Andras - that's a tricky piece and you played it beautifully.

The 10th tuned down to G# gives me some problems on my guitar but you sounded spot on.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ken Boi

Post by Ken Boi »

Super job!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

This thing is giving me fits! It's harder than it sounds.

:whoa:
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

How long did it take you to learn this, with all of the positions etc can not imagine Cary or you could come up with such a beautiful arrangement. Kudos.
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It's virtually identical to Gary's arrangement.

The 10th is tuned to G#, first chord is 10,5,6 open, the second chord - 10th fretted at 3 with 5,4 open (with Es lowered), then 7th fret - 10th, 5,6, then 0 fret, 10, 4, 5, 6...... and so on.

And that's the first couple of bars! The grips are tricky and accurate left hand technique is vital.

So, credit for the concept must go to the exceptional Gary Carter, but full marks to Andras for accomplishing what he has despite some slight differences in his copedant.

This is very well played and I can see my weekend is doomed as I try to get to grips with it myself (pun intended).
Andras Dancsak

Post by Andras Dancsak »

Larry!

I think it was about 1 week to get all the licks one by one, than one more week memorizing and practising , than one year pause because of work, apartment renovation, losing motivation etc. Than I refilled with energy and started to learn again last week. I had some difficulties but everything came back pretty fast. 4-6 days to practise last week and then it was ready to record. I play some mistake but, its reasonable I think.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Wonderful job. Nice tune and done so well.
Dennis Lee

Beautiful!

Post by Dennis Lee »

Andras, that was so beautiful! It never ceases to amaze me that this instrument has taken hold in countries all around the world. Your tone and execution are flawless. Now I don't know whether to practice and persevere or just quit and give up!
dlayne

Cover

Post by dlayne »

Andras Dancsak I really enjoyed it!! I noticed you have GL's E66 on your Bud? Tone & Touch is spot on,Thanks for sharing
Dan Layne