Claristat Pots

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Saunders

Claristat Pots

Post by Jim Saunders »

I found this website looking for Claristat pots. Anyone know of this?
https://www.alliedelec.com/eti-systems- ... d=30980760
Last edited by Jim Saunders on 15 Nov 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

That's not a complete link. You need the whole line, Jim.
Best regards,
Mike
Jim Saunders

Thanks

Post by Jim Saunders »

Thanks, Mike. I'm no whiz on a computer.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Jim, that's a linear taper pot, won't really work for volume pedal. Too bad, because those older Clarostats and AB pots are THE BEST, but they gotta be Audio or Log taper.

B
Jim Saunders

Thanks

Post by Jim Saunders »

Thanks, Brad, but what would you use this type of pot for? (Bad grammar. but valid question). What's it's purpose?
Jim Saunders

Thanks

Post by Jim Saunders »

Thanks, Brad, but what would you use this type of pot for? (Bad grammar. but valid question). What's it's purpose?
Jim Saunders

Thanks

Post by Jim Saunders »

O.K., Thanks for the informed answer. Makes sense. But, I have bought two of them and if anyone would like them, I will mail them to you for a Forum donation of your choice.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've seen posts on here of someone using a linear pot. Not something I would do.

FWIW I don't even like the taper on the Dunlop replacement pot. Another reason I have a Hilton VP.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Jack Stoner wrote:...FWIW I don't even like the taper on the Dunlop replacement pot. Another reason I have a Hilton VP.
They sure don't make pot tapers like they used to. Back in the day before digital, and back in the day when many designs were for industry and military-spec and NASA, they knew how to make a pot with a truly smooth, logarithmic (audio) curve/taper. But these days, most "audio" pots are made with only two segments of resistive material for the rotary track. So you essentially have two straight ramps with a kink in the middle where the slope becomes steeper. Back in the day, they would use 5 or more resistive segments which really does create a nice and rounded curve. Like Jack said, the Hilton is able to get a truly audio tapered curve with his design using an optical gradient filter.

Good old Clarostat or AB audio pots are like gold to pedal steelers that like pot pedals.

B
Randy Schneider

Post by Randy Schneider »

Georg,

Your discussion of the 'logging' of the linear pot reminded me of this article I saw some time ago. Some may find it and the graphs interesting.

The Secret Life of Pots
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Good, old-style pots are still out there, they just cost more. I'd also strongly recommend that any pot with a removable cover be lubed before it is installed. That's the only way to get maximum life. Lastly, be aware that (military designation) part number RV4NAYSD504A would indicate a linear pot. The correct mil-number for a logarithmic pot would be RV4NAYSJ504A.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The Allen Bradley pot used in volume pedals was not a straight audio (logarithmic) pot. It was a modified logarithmic. That's why, to me, the current audio pots such as the Dunlop do not copy the feel of the AB's.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

As Georg mentioned, you can make a very GOOD log pot out of a linear one and a resistor:
http://sound.whsites.net/project01.htm
Last edited by Steven Paris on 18 Nov 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons & Peavey
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Or...you can wire another (cheap linear) pot in place of the resistor, and have yourself an adjustable-taper pot pedal! :mrgreen: