RIP Herb Remington

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Cindy Cashdollar

RIP Herb Remington

Post by Cindy Cashdollar »

So very sad that we lost one of the greats this wkend, Herb Remington. He was a dear friend, mentor, & always had a good story about his times with Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys. Played beautifully & passionately, loved making crazy sound effects (the frog sound was the best), loved his dogs and a good hamburger. A huge inspiration, left us with great songs, Remington Steel guitars, and a huge taste of important musical history. Ride on Herb Remington, you will be forever missed.
Brad Davis

Post by Brad Davis »

Wow, so sorry to hear. He will be remembered as one of the greats for sure, and I hope he knew how much the community regarded him, his music, and his guitars.
John Mulligan

Post by John Mulligan »

Thank you for that beautiful testimonial.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Condolences to his friends and family. You know you are getting old when all your heroes die off.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

Cindy, thank you for your remembrance. This must me a very sad time for you.

When I was a little boy grade-school age, there was a 78 of ´Remington Ride´ at my Grandmother´s house and a Victrola to play it. I loved that record as only a little kid can.

RIP Herb Remington. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Herb had a long life, a musical career that influenced so many people, created instruments that will last for generations and lived a life as a good person. Not a bad legacy. RIP Herb and so sorry for your personal loss, Cindy.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

One of my mentors, Warren Pearson, was a friend of Herb. He always spoke well of Herb and used to go visit him when on vacation. Warren was a great steel player; he died about 10 years ago.

RIP, Herb, thanks for all you showed us.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Greg Booth

Post by Greg Booth »

I never met Herb, but his music spoke to me. Remington Ride has become ubiquitous among bluegrass banjo players, most of whom never knew that it is a brilliant steel guitar instrumental with more chords than the vanilla grassified version. I always loved Boot Heel Drag and finally figured out how to play it on the dobro last year. Thanks for the remembrance Cindy, I'll miss you next week at ResoSummit!
https://youtu.be/qlPRUt6KneE
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

Mr. Remington left this world with a joy that can't be forgotten but must be shared. I am privileged to be reminded every day.
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

very sad news.

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Greg Booth wrote:Remington Ride has become ubiquitous among bluegrass banjo players...
Not to mention blues guitarists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XSC6dbaic4
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Hi Cindy-Sad to see Herb go. Glad you had a chance to know him.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Barney Roach

Post by Barney Roach »

Thank you SO MUCH for letting this section know Cindy.
We are also very sorry for your loss.

Herb playing STARDUST- approx. 83 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxlRFgzGPw

There is also a strong thread in process in the
'Gone' section. What a legacy Herb! Thank you!
Barney Roach

Post by Barney Roach »

So fitting right now- here is Cindy Cashdollar performing
'Remington Ride' with her pal and mine- REDD VOLKAERT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnvKW7_ ... qxlRFgzGPw
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

A true gentleman, a legend, amazing player and artist. I was lucky to see him perfoming and could talk a little. His music will live forever
ShoBud The Professional 72.Emmons PP D10 83. Fender Stringmaster, triple neck. 1927 Weissenborn style 1. Fender Twin Reverb 77. Fender Princeton Reverb 78.
Hilmar Moore

Mr Remington

Post by Hilmar Moore »

When I came to pick up the guitar he had built for me, he gave me a wonderful lesson, interspersed with stories from his career. I could have easily and willingly listened and learned for many hours. One reason his career lasted so long: “I never confused a gig with a party.” After my lesson I said, “I’ve got a lot of work to do now.” To which he replied, “Please! Never call it ‘work.’ It’s play. We ‘play’ music. If you want to work, get a job. This is not work. Please!” Why he settled in Houston: “It was a good place to do my three favorite things—pickin’, fishin’, and neckin’.” How he learned so much music theory: “When you play with Eldon Shamblin and those guys, you learn quick.”

I don’t think anyone who ever met him, and certainly no musicians, will ever forget it.
‘
Remington Steel D-8; JB frypan; Dobro
Cindy Cashdollar

Post by Cindy Cashdollar »

It was so nice to read replies, recognitions, and shared memories of Herb. Deepest thanks to you all!
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I'm a relatively new player to steel guitar, but there was something about that one video of him playing Stardust at the TSGA in 2009...I kept coming back to it and it locked me in to that standard, even though I'll never play it with quite his touch.

That rotating slant here, at 2:11, so lovely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxlRFg ... u.be&t=131
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

Fond memories of Herb when I last visited Texas he made me so welcome a real gentleman

rest in peace my friend.
Joshua Clements

Post by Joshua Clements »

I haven't been on the forum in a couple of months and am just seeing this thread. I own a Remington Steel and his steel course helped me learn to play it. I also spoke with him several times over the last few years with questions about playing. He always helped me and had a cool story to tell. He will be missed.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

I just saw this thread - I am sorry to hear the news.
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Willard Palmer

Sorry to learn about Herb

Post by Willard Palmer »

I'm just learning to play the dobro. However, I knew Herb and Melba from shows that I worked as a magician. Herb was a really nice fellow, and he really, truly understood both music and audiences.

He left a legacy that modern steel players should investigate thoroughly.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Herb was such a nice man and a legend in the steel guitar world. Back in the 80s I was in Houston on Conoco business and went to Herbs house on Jean Street. He came out the back door and opened his shop in the back of his house. I think I wound up buying one vinyl record of his and he was so gracious. At one point I purchased an Emmons Legrande from him that he was selling for someone who was going into the Navy. I was always amazed at his total control of his instrument when I saw him play in person at TSGA non-pedal room. I am sad he is gone and he will be greatly missed by the steel guitar community.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp