Heather Leigh

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

b0b

Heather Leigh

Post by b0b »

If you thought Susan Alcorn was the only experimental jazz steel player on the planet, you need to check out Heather Leigh.

www.wishimage.com/bio

-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Indeed !
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

Wow. She plays with some European free music royalty. That's very impressive.

Here's an image from her website which I think contrasts well with some of the more typical VFW type situations people on this forum encounter :eek:

Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

It's a whole 'nother world across the sea, eh?
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

"The slide, the vocal quality, the moving between the notes... the levels of psychedelia you can reach on this instrument... I just can't believe it. So that's when it became my instrument."
She starts talking about her involvement with steel guitar around 31:30.

Interesting woman, and she speaks to a demographic totally foreign to the great majority of we "forumistic," if you will, steel players.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

Herb Steiner wrote:
"The slide, the vocal quality, the moving between the notes... the levels of psychedelia you can reach on this instrument... I just can't believe it. So that's when it became my instrument."

Interesting woman, and she speaks to a demographic totally foreign to the great majority of we "forumistic," if you will, steel players.
I guess I'll just have to continue to reside among the great majority. I'll never make it to 31:30. Not even close.
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
b0b

Post by b0b »

I think I have adventurous musical tastes but, to be honest, I can't listen to her music for more than a minute or two. It's too disturbing. :alien:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
R. E. Miller

Post by R. E. Miller »

Herb Steiner wrote:
"The slide, the vocal quality, the moving between the notes... the levels of psychedelia you can reach on this instrument... I just can't believe it."
Well...she definitely means what she says...
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

No me gusta
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I much prefer to listen to Susan Alcorn of the two, but I don't think either of the ladies can be described as producing jazz music.

Both ladies' music are acquired taste, but Heather's is way too eccentric and dare I say it - out of tune - for my taste and ears unfortunately. Sorry.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Yes, hard to listen to for very long. The difference to me, between her and Susan is that Susan has a solid foundation of standard steel.
The Melodyne computer program would have a field day with her music.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Not my cuppa java either, but I am always interested in expanding my own musical horizons. So thank you for posting this anyway, b0b. It is encouraging to know there is an audience out there for just about anything.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Different strokes for different folks! :whoa:
Erv
Bill L. Wilson

I Tried to Watch.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I pulled up a YouTube video of her and a horn player. The steel was out if tune, and the horn player sounded like somebody “Killin’ a Cat”. I got that quote from a comment off of YouTube and it made me laugh out loud.
Frank Leppert

Post by Frank Leppert »

I just knew that she is going to play in my city Coimbra tomorrow. I am very happy to see steel playing live, not very usual in Portugal.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Mentioning Susan Alcorn in the same breath as Heather Leigh is absurd. Susan is a masterful player and a true innovator. I have unfortunately had the experience of going to a live concert of Heathers. She has absolutely nothing to say with any originality and her abilities as a player don't exist. She cannot hold a musical conversation because she is unable to go beyond the few tired and poorly played tricks she as bumped into. I went to a concert and it was straight up embarrassing. I love avant playing and all sorts of stuff but crap is still crap no matter what you dress it up with.
Bob
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thank you Bob for speaking the truth. I absolutely agree with your comments. Nothing to see here.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The "Jackson Pollock of music", maybe? :|

Let's not forget that Frank Zappa started out playing a bicycle on the old Steve Allen show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF0PYQ8IOL4

`
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Donny Hinson wrote:The "Jackson Pollock of music", maybe? :|

Let's not forget that Frank Zappa started out playing a bicycle on the old Steve Allen show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF0PYQ8IOL4

`
Yeah, because the obvious question arises - Is this brilliant and innovative art, or does this person have not the slightest idea of what they are doing and just noodling away at something for which they have no talent?

I, for one, have not the slightest idea of what she is doing. As a musician, that bugs me and makes me suspicious. Frankly, a lot of what I listen to baffles me, but usually in a good way that I can actually enjoy the mystery. In the case of Ms Leigh, whose work I do not enjoy, I will give her the benefit of the doubt and keep my dark thoughts about some folks being swept up in a great con to myself.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I'm with 'ya, Fred. But "art" has always been hard to define. Most of the paintings that Jackson Pollock has done looks like painter's drop-cloths, to me. But they can sell for up into the millions of dollars. :whoa:

Success is sometimes measured not by talent, but by popularity.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Or, to put it another way, nobody ever lost money by underestimating the public.
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

Donny,
I never got Pollock either. Until I saw several up close. Standing within a couple of feet from them I was mesmerized.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

31:30 in what? I don't seem to find a link to any video/audio in the thread.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Yeah, I dunno... I made similar sounds within the 1st 10 seconds of sitting down at a pedal steel. I didn't think it was musical at all at the time.. Won't say much more bad about it, but this is not what I personally would say is good music. However it may be her musical taste and what she hears and desires to convey artistically. She may may able to play conventional steel guitar music at a very high level for all we know, but this is simply what she likes.. Hey look, somebody buys it, she's playing for more people than most of us are! I like the OLD pre Micro, pre Classic MSA guitar by the way!
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Donny Hinson wrote:I'm with 'ya, Fred. But "art" has always been hard to define. Most of the paintings that Jackson Pollock has done looks like painter's drop-cloths, to me. But they can sell for up into the millions of dollars. :whoa:

Success is sometimes measured not by talent, but by popularity.
Donny, before I go into the “nature” of Jackson Pollock’s art, I first will say that I find your posts enjoyable, if not informative and mostly entertaining. 😊

Regarding Pollock’s painting: During his life and after, most people, professional art critics included, didn’t/don’t understand the intentional reason for his art. He was fascinated with the seemingly randomness, but mathematical aspects of nature. This is, the fractal nature of nature. Here’s an article that explains it better than I can:
https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sc ... s-fractals

As for using steel in non-conventional compositions, I, like most others on this thread, don’t hear intentional musicality or composition with Heather’s ‘music’, but then, mine is hardly a knowledgeable opinion. However, I find Robert Rich’s use of steel (lap steel, in this example) in his ‘dark ambient’ compositions to be interesting, musical and completely supportive of the intent of his compositions: Here’s an example:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYdpHsR1GI

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus